Didnt find it metal detecting, but treasure doesnt always come from the ground

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Didn't find it metal detecting, but treasure doesn't always come from the ground

My elderly next door neighbor succumbed to kidney disease earlier this year and his house has sat vacant till I saw his kids cleaning out the house and dumping almost everything into a dumpster in the alley. I asked if they were trashing everything in the dumpster and they said that it was all junk and they didn't want to move it to their homes. I asked if I could take a look and keep anything of interest and they said that was fine. I was browsing the stuff near the top and spotted an old oak crate. It was pretty dusty and had some slight mold on it, but it looked pretty unique so I took it home and wiped it down with to get rid of the mold and dust and noticed that there was writing on the side. After a few wipedowns, I noticed it read Petersen Brewery Co. Grand Rapids, Mich. I thought that was too cool. I hopped online and checked out the brewery as I had never heard of it. I found that it was only in business for two years (1893-1895)!!!!!!!! I scored big time with this find! I went back but the dumpster had already been hauled away :-\

I wonder what else they tossed out.........but at least I saved a small piece of Grand Rapids history!

Happy Hunting to All!!!!!

Attachments

• petersen1.jpg
    petersen1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 785
  • petersen2.jpg
    petersen2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 791
  • petersen3.jpg
    petersen3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 792
  • petersen4.jpg
    petersen4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 785
Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Didn't find it metal detecting, but treasure doesn't always come from the ground

Cool :icon_thumright:
Looks like a work of History's Art :headbang:
Mike

kevin11

Mar 12, 2009
Bronson,Michigan
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Re: Didn't find it metal detecting, but treasure doesn't always come from the ground

One mans junk is another mans treasure,nice save.
Kevin

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find, congrats. :icon_thumright:

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure is Treasure...Nice Score and Congrats for Saving a Piece of history...HH :thumbsup:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that is way cool. i would have jumped in a dumster for that find :icon_thumright:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice nab SW Blazer! :hello2: As a former Grand Rapidian, I thank you. :)

HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice "JUNQUE"!! Monty

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

That's way too cool, I actually collect soda crates and my buddies are in to Breweriana. That's a nice piece of the local history there. I'm still kind of amazed that there are old, collectable things being tossed out. With the internet, It seems everyone thinks anything over 25 years old is worth some cabbage. I wonder what else they tossed. Nice score!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread