Draped Bust Half Cent,Draped Bust LC and Matron Head LC ,Video Added!!!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
What a weekend! I revisited my favorite old cellarhole site Friday evening and started with diggin a first for me,a Draped Bust half cent. It will never look better than the moment it came out of the dirt. It has a fragile crust that is holding the only detail left so after rubbing the reverse and finding no detail whatsoever i decided to put it in a coin flip and leave well enough alone.

Minted 1800-1808
half cent in dirt.JPG

half cent in hand.JPG

Next i get a solid 79 on my DFX which always gets my heart racing cause i know its a possible large cent. Sometimes it's a rifled slug or copper junk but this time i was pretty confident so i set my camera up on a nearby log to try to get a video. (End of post :icon_thumleft:)
Here's a shot of the Matron Head Large Cent fresh out of the hole

lc in hand.JPG

Overview of Friday evenings digs

lc over.JPG

lc close.JPG

lc close ob.JPG

lc rev.JPG

This afternoon i had a couple hours to revisit the site, now that i have a renewed interest. The weeds are high,the briars are vicious and it was around 80 degrees but I am glad i went back.

Welcome to the jungle

draped jungle.JPG

I dug another first for me,a draped bust Large Cent!! The date is faint but looks to be 1797. Man i wish i would have caught this one on video. I really was expecting junk,i was close to the road where i get occasional aluminum junk and i was getting an 80vdi at only half inch deep,the same depth by the way that my Matron head was at on Friday.
I should have taken more time pinpointing i guess cause a cut a plug and saw this large green disk right in the dirt where i had made my cut :-[ Yep,i put a little scrape on her but this is the first coin I've marked so I guess it was bound to happen sometime.

Here's a shot of this big green disk poking out of the dirt for the first time in a maybe a couple hundred years.

draped in hole.JPG

draped in hand.JPG

draped close.JPG

Reverse of the Draped Bust LC

draped reverse.JPG

Heres my first attempt at catching a dig on video,i had a solid 79 vdi reading so i was pretty confident it was a big coppa..no tripod,just a nearby log so the view is a little low to the ground. Enjoy!!

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Draped Bust Half Cent,Draped Bust LC and Matron Head LC Caught on Video

Those are some killer finds, Jerry. WTG on 3 magnificent coins :headbang: :hello2:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very impressive. The 1804 half cent was my first 1800's coin and very quickly became my favorite. Where in Ohio did you find these if I might ask.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

mmm, love those draped busts. well done.
looks like it's time to add a weed-eater to your treasure hunting arsenal...

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Draped Bust Half Cent,Draped Bust LC and Matron Head LC

Congratulations Jerry! Those are some stellar coins..............Hogge :headbang:

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Awesome finds for Ohio especially. My oldest coin is a well worn 1823 capped bust dime and I thought that was pretty good for Ohio, I know there's old stuff around but not like on the East coast. Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Sweet Jerry, 3 old coppers in one hunt!!That's how many I've gotten this year and I live in the East.Make sure you hit that place good in the late fall,when all that green is dead.You will find more there. :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Awesome finds Jerry! Too bad that spot is so overgrown. Maybe you can get back there in the fall or early spring before it gets too crazy with weeds and bushes.

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great coins Jerry!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jerry, those are some Killer finds for your area! Bravo! I've never managed a Half Cent. It's on the list. :wink:

That is my kind of hunting. Just looking at that jungle makes me wanna take the machete and mow it down to swing.

A BIG Congratulations to you,

Buckles

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds, hadn't heard much from you lately and knew you would score something good here sooner or later. Half cent is on my list as well.

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job on the coppers! I think you did the right thing by leaving the half cent alone, its obvious what it is, and that is a tough one to find,congrats :thumbsup:

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killer finds Congradts! Ps that coil looks like its sitting in Posion Ivy. Beware!
thanks for sharing!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Those are some great coins Jerry.

I love the drapped bust coins. I bet come fall you'll pull out a few more. Suck every signal out of those sites.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

crazyjarhead said:
Those are some killer finds, Jerry. WTG on 3 magnificent coins :headbang: :hello2:
Thanks CJH!!

Sniffy said:
Very impressive. The 1804 half cent was my first 1800's coin and very quickly became my favorite. Where in Ohio did you find these if I might ask.

Thanks Sniffy,i'm on the eastern border about 12 miles from Steubenville,This site doesn't even show on my 1856 surveyors map so if the landowner hadn't told me where it was I'd never have come across it. When he told me about it he said something like" i don't know if it'd be worth trying your detector out there or not" LOL ..six large cents and an 1835 capped bust half dime later i'm thinking it was worth it ;D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the finds Jerry, also the video was like we were there with you so that was a success also. A lot of our good old sites almost never show up on any old map!

Don

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ohio Jerry said:
crazyjarhead said:
Thanks CJH!!

Sniffy said:

Thanks Sniffy,i'm on the eastern border about 12 miles from Steubenville,This site doesn't even show on my 1856 surveyors map so if the landowner hadn't told me where it was I'd never have come across it. When he told me about it he said something like" i don't know if it'd be worth trying your detector out there or not" LOL ..six large cents and an 1835 capped bust half dime later i'm thinking it was worth it ;D

Yeah I'd say! I grew up down around Old Mans Cave. Been through Steubenville many times. All I here from people I know that detect in Ohio is "I'll never find the old coins here" But you are a prime example that they are there, ripe and ready for the pickin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread