Spring 2009 has been good .....Coppers, half cents , buttons and More...........

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to post just about everything in one post.......Strapped for time and just busy as heck this year with work .....why not!!! All the Coins and Relic have been found around old foundations or Cellar holes, or what ever you wish to call them. I have been hunting in two counties this spring here in western N.Y. one of which has given up some old colonial button and a number of war of 1812 buttons as posted in an earlier post this year. But all of these goodies have come out at some great locations throughout this area........

This big pile of stuff has been laying on my desk for months and has yet been posted till now:

P4120016 Large Web view.jpg

The colonial coppers,large cents and coins have been popping out like crazy and I thought last year was a good one....have a total of 25 so far this year....others will be posted later with the story and its interesting! some of the dates are in the 1820's and 30's plus an 1852 bank of canada half token.

P4120017 Large Web view.jpg

P4120026 Large Web view.jpg

The toy gun was a treat, first I found the handle and then the barrel that goes with it...the small one was at another location.....The boot spur is made of brass and is my first

P4120021 Large Web view.jpg

P4120020 Medium Web view.jpg

Buttons and more buttons........what else is there to say. I love finding them and they are my favorite. The large flower still has some of the original gold gilt on it....the others are early flats dating from the early to mid 1800-s. The tokens are interesting finds, one of them happens to be a Missouri Tax token.

P4120028 Medium Web view.jpg

P4120023 Medium Web view.jpg

The picture below has a stone hatchet that I found while digging the 1833 large cent they were in the same hole along with a couple of the early buttons....the stone hatchet may have been a piece that was used by the early settler or was traded to him by some Indians that lived in that area ...it is of hard stone and has a very sharp edge on one side, looking at the side shows marks that may have been from the rope or vine used for wraping it around some sort of handle......

P2100021 Large Web view.jpg

P2100027 Medium Web view.jpg

Below is an 1805 Draped bust half cent...... found in the first 5 minutes of the hunt.

P4120002 Small Web view.jpg

The rest is just stuff that can be found at this old cellar holes....There is old lanturn tops, spoon pieces , lead musket balls, small buckles, square nails , pocket watch pieces, cuff links, watch fobs, Indian head pennies, Wheaties,silver quarter, barbers , mercury dimes,a few clad, round rings, pottery (all kinds) , toe plates, old sleigh bell and a mess of what the heck is it? Pieces........

P4020004 Medium Web view.jpg

P4120025 Large Web view.jpg

There you have it !!! I can now clean of my desk and start all over again...............

Keep on Digging!!!

John W.

Upvote 0

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spring 2009 has been good .....Coppers, half cents , buttons and More.......

We have a nice button in common. Extra Rich SuperFine

Attachments

• clean button.JPG
    clean button.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 716
  • clean button.JPG
    clean button.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 728

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Spring 2009 has been good .....Coppers, half cents , buttons and More.......

John,

Kyle and I have been wondering where you have been. We now know the answer! :icon_thumleft: Like always, you amaze me with your finds. Our group has a total of 35 coppers, 5 Spanish silvers, 1811 Capped Bust dime, and some Seateds so far this year. It has been a great year for us as well, but we may take a short break (fields are planted) until fall.

25 coppers is killer!!!!

Keep the passion high, JW! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Wow...Great year you're having. Those are awesome finds. Hope it continues and I would love to see and hear more.

You should post the Indian artifact in the artifact forum. It looks like a celt, but I have never seen a double bit celt. Those guys can tell you more about it. They bring a pretty hefty price sometimes.

I love it all. Keep doing what you're doing and good luck. :thumbsup:

Randy

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some very nice coins and relics. I'd be very happy finding those. WTG on all of the digging in between work :icon_sunny:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent assortment of finds, John. Luv the spur, the guns, heck everything. ;D

:wink: RR

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've had one amazing Spring, scary to imagine what Summer will bring. Kudos on that hatchet, beautiful!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) Always the best.
Missed seeing what you've been diggin' up. :icon_pirat: Don't stay away so long next time. :wink:

Fantastic group of finds, John!

Nana :wink:

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of coins and relics............ :thumbsup:

Really like the "hatchet"................ :headbang:

Like to see what you find this summer............ :thumbsup:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John , Been while, glad to see your out hunting and thanks for sharing

tinpan

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
John,

Kyle and I have been wondering where you have been. We now know the answer! :icon_thumleft: Like always, you amaze me with your finds. Our group has a total of 35 coppers, 5 Spanish silvers, 1811 Capped Bust dime, and some Seateds so far this year. It has been a great year for us as well, but we may take a short break (fields are planted) until fall.

25 coppers is killer!!!!

You know what Kyle.......I'm going to have to work a little harder to keep up with you guys. Work has been crazy, working saturdays and Sundays. yes i said it, Sundays and thats my Detecting day.......But hey... those places I have lined up are not going anywhere and at this time of the year are pretty hidden........John

Keep the passion high, JW! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread