1775 King George??, Civil War Button (maybe 2), Oyster Shell Button, Clay Pipe

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, today ended up being a great day of detecting for me. I got a chance to go out with a friend for a few hours and found some very nice relics. This was a homesite dating back to the 1700's where I had previously found a 1775 Machin's Mill copper.

My first find of the day was another 1775 copper. I think it is a King George III, but I'm not 100% sure. The reverse has a clear date of 1775, but the obverse is a mess. I had no idea what this coin was until it was cleaned at home. I'm wondering if this could be another Machin's Mill????? What are the chances. I've placed a picture of todays coin next to the confirmed Machin's Mill. Todays coin is on the right.

My second find of the day was the eagle button. I'm wondering if this might be my first Civil War button? The backmark says Waterbury Button Co. I know very little about buttons, but I've been told it might be from the Civil War. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My third find of the day was a flat button with a backmark that says Imperial Orange Gilt. I would like to know more information on this button as well.

My next two finds were found on the surface while I was digging other targets. I think the white button is made of oyster shell??? Not sure... I've never seen one before. My last find was a clay pipe bowl. Another first for me. Is there a way to date something like this by its shape?

Overall, I had a great time and came home with some good finds. If anyone has any info on the coin, possible Civil War button, or the Imperial Orange Gilt button, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Attachments

• finds 6-14.jpg
    finds 6-14.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 778
  • clay pipe bowl .jpg
    clay pipe bowl .jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 664
  • oyster shell button.jpg
    oyster shell button.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 780
  • civil war button back ?.jpg
    civil war button back ?.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 694
  • civil war button ?.jpg
    civil war button ?.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 686
  • beside machin\'s mill.jpg
    beside machin\'s mill.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 757
  • 1775 obverse.jpg
    1775 obverse.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 690
  • coin 1775.jpg
    coin 1775.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 698
  • clay pipe bowl pic 2.jpg
    clay pipe bowl pic 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 661
  • imperial orange gilt flat button.jpg
    imperial orange gilt flat button.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 956
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
very nice finds :thumbsup:

and it's deffinately George 111 :)

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made out great today Aaron. Does the Orange guilt button have anything at all on the front? Look close. I see some "Orange Guilt" buttons listed bit they all have something on the front. I love the pipe. We need to go cut the grass!!!! :laughing7:

B

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Can you weigh the coin? either in grams or grains... I agree it's a KG III ..Maybe don or iron patch will see this post soon an add some more light onto this coin...

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1775 King George??, Civil War Button (maybe 2), Oyster Shell Button, Clay Pi

baspinall said:
You made out great today Aaron. Does the Orange guilt button have anything at all on the front? Look close. I see some "Orange Guilt" buttons listed bit they all have something on the front. I love the pipe. We need to go cut the grass!!!! :laughing7:

B

lol... We really do need to cut the grass over there. There is definitely nothing on the front of the button. I looked closely. The pipe is a pretty cool find. It would be wild if that coin was another Machin's Mills.

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1775 King George??, Civil War Button (maybe 2), Oyster Shell Button, Clay Pi

creeper71 said:
Can you weigh the coin? either in grams or grains... I agree it's a KG III ..Maybe don or iron patch will see this post soon an add some more light onto this coin...

I don't have any type of scale to weigh the coin. I put the Machin's Mill copper up against todays copper and they are nearly identical in thickness and circumference. I think it is definitely counterfeit. Whether it is a Machin's Mills counterfeit, I don't know.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a sweet hunt. That ground was hard on em.

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deno said:
That was a sweet hunt. That ground was hard on em.

Thanks... Yeah, the ground wasn't too kind on the copper.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

pjroo33 said:
creeper71 said:

I don't have any type of scale to weigh the coin. I put the Machin's Mill copper up against todays copper and they are nearly identical in thickness and circumference. I think it is definitely counterfeit. Whether it is a Machin's Mills counterfeit, I don't know.
Awesome! I'm sure Don an Iron Patch will post about the coin an we'll know a lil more about it...

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I like the pipe bowl! I do believe it is a button from an oyster shell also, have a few of them, always a nice addition to the button collection.

The 1775 KGIII, looks like the date does not match the numbers on your Machin's Mills Halfpenny, unless dirt is distoring the shape and length of the numbers, I have to say it is not a identical match. It would be nice to have the weight if you can ever get it, just to say with more certainty that it is a counterfeit KGIII......

Don

Attachments

• 1775datecomparison.jpg
    1775datecomparison.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 569

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaron I am almost 100 % sure your coins are different. look at the bottom of the shield. They are not the same.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bust is not close in my opinion. But still a great old Georgie!

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Nice finds, I like the pipe bowl! I do believe it is a button from an oyster shell also, have a few of them, always a nice addition to the button collection.

The 1775 KGIII, looks like the date does not match the numbers on your Machin's Mills Halfpenny, unless dirt is distoring the shape and length of the numbers, I have to say it is not a identical match. It would be nice to have the weight if you can ever get it, just to say with more certainty that it is a counterfeit KGIII......

Don

Looks like you are right. The dates do look different. How strange to find my only 2 coppers at this site both date 1775.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pjroo33 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Looks like you are right. The dates do look different. How strange to find my only 2 coppers at this site both date 1775.

1775 is the most common date Geo. III.

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
pjroo33 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

1775 is the most common date Geo. III.

OK... did not know that the 1775 was the most common KGIII. Still a fun find in my book. The true date a 1775 Machin's Mills copper was minted is somewhere between 1787 and 1789. So technically, the coin I found today is a little older. ;D

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfx willy said:
ITS A GREAT FIND NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. WILLY.

Thanks Willy. I'm happy as can be!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtg i love seeing old coppers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread