Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Season Finale Yields Two Large Coppers: 1819 & 1823

I returned to one of my favorite detecting spots today. The ground was damp, but the bugs weren't too bad. I hit a hillside again. The hillsides have been giving up some nice finds. After close to an hour of detecting I got a nice 80-81 hit on my DFX at 2.5 inches. Most of my coppers have been deeper at the site, but I find very few modern coins there, so I was very excited.

After removing the copper from the dirt pile, I scanned the hole again and got a much deeper 83 hit at 6.5 inches. No doubt this one would be another copper.

After a light cleaning, I realized that this is the best I will get before the detail washed completely away. Unfortunately, this site is upland forest. The soil is dense and damp; not a good environment for coppers. These are probably the worst condition large cents I have ever dug, but at least I was able to get dates off both!

This is copper number 9 and 10 from the site. The most modern was an 1839 found May of 2008.

2009_06190004.JPG 2009_06190007.JPG
2009_06190005.JPG 2009_06190008.JPG

2009_06190001.JPG

Upvote 0

Sniper1K

Feb 20, 2009
Souf Cakalack
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505, Excalibur 1000
Re: Season Finale Yields Two Large Coppers: 1819 & 1823

Season Finale??? Don't you mean premier?

Great finds!!!

Mike

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice LC finds, Congrats!

HH, Ringfinder

H

hessian raider

Congratulations on the largies. The ground is rough on coppers up here too; I've only gotten one readable date out of all the coppers I've found. Why would you be ending your season now? Considering the bounty of coins and relics you have there, I'd hunt till the snow flies!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

hessian raider said:
Congratulations on the largies. The ground is rough on coppers up here too; I've only gotten one readable date out of all the coppers I've found. Why would you be ending your season now? Considering the bounty of coins and relics you have there, I'd hunt till the snow flies!

Well the season (spring) ends tomorrow. The new season begins on Sunday :icon_thumright:

I don't do much summer detecting. My real season begins at the end of November and continues until May. I don't care much for the heat, the ticks, the chiggers, the poison ivy, the thorny underbrush etc. As long as the ground is not frozen, I will go detecting in Dec. Jan., & Feb.!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
hessian raider said:

Well the season (spring) ends tomorrow. The new season begins on Sunday :icon_thumright:

I don't do much summer detecting. My real season begins at the end of November and continues until May. I don't care much for the heat, the ticks, the chiggers, the poison ivy, the thorny underbrush etc. As long as the ground is not frozen, I will go detecting in Dec. Jan., & Feb.!

Ahhhh that is the time to hunt to fill the freezer. Nice hunt sir.

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000

Nice Going ! We'll keep hunting back here till the ground freezes. Ticks and all and man do I Hate ticks >:(

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer

Those are great, still searching for one of them.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

nice coppers, Neil.

those actually look better than most of the ones i get here in upstate ny. i think you posted a nice 1817 LC the other day, and i didn't post then, but i have a pet theory that the mint was using better copper that year. same with many of the draped bust dates- they seem to hold up better in the ground. still, two LC's with dates is a great day in my book. you've still got a day left in the season to pull up a coupla more! dwayne

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

dwayne sueno said:
nice coppers, Neil.

those actually look better than most of the ones i get here in upstate ny. i think you posted a nice 1817 LC the other day, and i didn't post then, but i have a pet theory that the mint was using better copper that year. same with many of the draped bust dates- they seem to hold up better in the ground. still, two LC's with dates is a great day in my book. you've still got a day left in the season to pull up a coupla more! dwayne

Dwayne,
I think the soil conditions have more impact on the coin than the type. Although the 1798 in my avatar was found at this site as well, it was in a much sandier spot. The other coppers found near yesterdays coins are all in similar condition and are dated 1809, 1838 & 1839. I also found an Irish Halfpenny and a Connecticut Copper nearby in similar condition as well.

The 1817 I found last week was found in a sandy piny area quite a distance away, where the soil is well drained. All of my coppers found in the piny areas are in excellent condition.

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you did better than me today . all i found was a musket ball.................and ticks were the worst .....very small ones .......

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Couple of nice LC's Neil. Is the 1823 a 3/2 var.? Can't tell from the pic. :headbang:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

hogge said:
Couple of nice LC's Neil. Is the 1823 a 3/2 var.? Can't tell from the pic. :headbang:

It looks like it may be the 3/2 variety, but it is very difficult to tell for sure.

pinebarrens1 said:
you did better than me today . all i found was a musket ball.................and ticks were the worst .....very small ones .......

It is those tiny ticks that carry the Lyme's Disease virus. And their bites itch for weeks!

CladMaster

Dec 25, 2007
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer SE

Nice copper finds Neil. I agree w/you, summer hunting is not for me. I've already pulled ticks and had chiggers in my crotch from this spring. HH!

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision

Nice one Neal. Nice Father's Day find. I'm still not battling ticks :)

Con

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

You do realize that the 1823 is a key date either way?!!!
In rough shape it is worth at least $200!!
Way to go!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Nice coppers no matter what. Season finale, are you done for the year?

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Ed-NH said:
Nice coppers no matter what. Season finale, are you done for the year?

Ed,
As I have said many times before, I avoid my good sites due to the ticks and poison ivy. I will try to check out some new sites that may be more conducive to summer detecting. Some piny areas have little or no vegetation, so they can be good sites, but the chiggers can still be a problem. I briefly scouted out one of these types of areas last evening. It was an old farm & mill site, surrounded by pines. There was still some old farm equipment lying around, so it looks like it may have potential for summer hunting.

My philosophy is that if I can't swing my big Super 12 Coil, I have no business being there in the summer.

tymcmurray said:
You do realize that the 1823 is a key date either way?!!!
In rough shape it is worth at least $200!!
Way to go!

Tym,
According to my Red Book (which is a few years old) either variety of the 1823 in G-4 condition commands about $65. These coins are both far from G-4 condition. Unless there has been a radical change since 2006, I would say these coins could be in the "handful for $10" bowl at a coin shop.

Thanks for your comments!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread