Hit the lakeshore today

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got up early this morning and did some detecting at a local fresh water beach. I was happy to see the low water level when I pulled in, giving me about 20 feet of exposed lake bottom to hunt. Found a bunch of clad, the oldest was a 1959D penny and a 1957D nickel. Also found an old set of GM car keys, a cheap barette, and, of course, a bullet. I'm heading out to a spot I have wanted to hit all summer on Sat AM. It's a hiking trail that runs throught the woods out in Coventry that was once a stretch of railroad, built in the 1840s to connect Providence with Hartford and NY City. I also know of at least one old cellar hole off of this trail, so we'll be detecting and looking out for old dump sites!! THanks for looking, and HH!

Attachments

• Tiouge Lake 11-17-05.JPG
    Tiouge Lake 11-17-05.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal!

HH

Lonewolfe

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Hey Treasurekidd,

Good luck in Coventry. There's a lot of old houses out there. There's a few spots out there I want to hit before the ground freezes. Do you know if they've drained Johnson's pond at all? I went there about 2 weeks ago and it was as high as ever.

Glenn

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn, I'm not sure about Johnsons Pond, but they sure as heck must have drained Tiouge Lake. I went there this morning, and the water level was 15-20 feet below the normal water line. Thought I'd make some better finds than I did, but I had fun anyway! Where abouts are you from Glenn? I'm from Warwick, and normally hunt around the Warwick-West Warwick-Coventry-E. Greenwich area. Maybe come spring we can get a hunt going!

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Nice finds treasurekidd....Never thought of going to a lake that they lower. Living in western N.C. they will do this. Just don't know what the bottom is going to expose. Hopefully nice MDing sand, but with my luck probably will be mud. Hmmmmmmmmmmm thanks for the though.

Ken

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was rocky sand on the bottom, and there was also a LOT of trash that I didn't bother to tell you about, lol! Beer/Soda cans, pulltabs, fishing sinkers, bottlecaps, and lots of unidentifiable blobs. Good place to finds coins and jewelry though!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds kidd!!

Nana ;)

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds..
I checked out a fresh water beach here in NProv recently, but no luck.

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
TreasureKidd, from reading your posts over the last few months, I don't think that I live too far from you. I live off Rt. 5 just over the Cranston/Warwick line in Cranston. I want to get a new detector in the spring so the spring sounds good. I don't think we have too many good days left this year. Have you ever detected on Block Island or all the old stone walls in E. Greenwich?

Treasures4me2find, people go swimming in fresh water & salt water beaches with jewelry on and change in their pockets all the time. When you're swimming around, that change can come out of your pocket pretty easily. More important than that, when you're in the water for a while, you fingers tend to shrivel up. jewelry tends to fall off. The water also acts like a lubricant as well. I believe that one of the best places to find jewelry is where people swim. That would be fresh water beaches that have been drained & salt water beaches at low tide. The older the swimming area, the older the finds can be.?

Glenn

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn,
Yeah, we are pretty close. I live over by the airport, and I work close enough to where you live the Uncle Tony's is a regular lunch stop! No to Block Island (if I get anywhere near Block Island, my wife changes me from finding money mode to spending money mode). As for stone walls, I have never tried them in E.Greenwich, but have done some wall hunting on my friends properry in Killingly, CT, with some pretty good luck!

Get yourself that new detector - we've got the winter to research some good spots for spring!! HH!

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
TreasureKidd,
Yeah, I live about 1/4 mile from Uncle Tony's. I go there once in a while. I'm using an old Fisher 1225-X. The pin-pointing is pretty accurate but I've never really dug anything that's been that deep. I think I'm missing the deeper stuff. I want a detector that goes deeper and tells me how deep the target is. Hopefully, one that works well in dry soil and water saturated sand like at the beach at low tide. Any suggestions?
Glenn

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Glenn, I can tell you that I loooove my Garrett ACE250. It would be perfect for everything you spell out, except the saturated salt beach sand. And the price is reasonable as hell. Take a look at a newer Fisher, like the CZ-3D or the CZ-70 Pro. Both units have the salt sand mode, and though higher priced than my ACE250, seem to be reasonable compared to other makers salt/beach hunting machines. Let me know when you get it, and we'll put something together!

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Yeah, I do like going to some of the beaches at low tide looking for jewelry. It's like digging in half sand and half water mixed together. It's easy digging. However the water and the mussle shells give false signals. I can adjust the discriminator, but then I think I'm missing out on the jewelry.

Glenn

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasurekidd and Glenn-RI,
Do either of you belong to the MD club here RI? I was curious to see how it was....
I was thinking of joining, but not sure. I read that you might be planning some hunts
for the spring, would you mind a third wheel? Hopefully I will be able to get out hunting
much more than this year.
Joe

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, do you mean DIRT? If so, I have been aching to join them, but they meet on Sundays, and my wife works EVERY Sunday, and I have to stay home and play Mr Mom with the little ones. I know a few of them, from posting on a different forum, and from what I know of them, they are great people. As for hunting, another detector helps cover more ground, right? I'd love to have an extra hand!! The more the merrier! I mostly hunt around Warwick, but a few at least once a month I try to get out and hit somewhere off the beaten trail, like today - see my latest post about todays hunt:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,23918.0.html

We do have a few hunts planned for next spring that involve detecting and bottle digging if your interested (you too Glenn), or we can just get together and hit a beach, schoolyard or ballfield somewhere. Let's keep in touch and do our research this winter, and we can head out this spring fully armed with detectors and information on some nice old historical sites!!

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we can get our own detecting club going. Let's see, we got Joe88, Glenn-RI, Jayssan, myself, and I know my hunting partner Jeff would get into to. The DIRT club meets down in Charlestown, maybe we could get one started up in the Northern end, like say a meeting place somewhere in the middle or northern end of the state. Interested?

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasurekidd,
I think that is the club I was referring too. As for next spring, that sound great! I am sure we can find some
great areas to hunt over the winter. I am always looking, when I am out, as to where I can hunt.
The club up here sounds good, especially once we start hunting together in the spring.
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread