Worked hard today for what I got....including 2 silver coins

W

whites6000inPa

I went back over some of these same places today that I've been hunting, and managed the coins shown in the picture....and 15 pennies which are soaking.

The old school finally coughed up the 40th piece of silver for me, and that's where the 44 quarter came from. It was under a danged old root.

The 53 dime came from the yard that gave me the 42 walker.

The clad.....came from few different places....but the only thing i dug at the old school was the quarter. Things are pretty tough there these days....not even a penny. I got the quarter in an area where there had been a couple big tree branches laying from when we got that big wet snowfall. I'd been around there...but apparently missed a good signal there.

My silver coin total since Oct 1st is now at 81......hopefully this isn't the last outing for me.

I'm pooped....gettin' too old for 6 hours of hunting before eating.

Wyatt

Attachments

• 111905.JPG
    111905.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Some nice finds. At least you worked hard and found stuff. :) Sometimes you work hard and get junk and a little clad.

I know what you mean about too old...after about 3 hours I have all kinda sore body parts!

Bob

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Glad to see there are still sites out there thatl are still loaded down with silver. 40 silver coins at a site today is great. Congrats on number 40.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Congrats! 81 in 45-50 days is nothing to sneeze about these days and 40 from one site is really great!! Hope you can add to your total before the year's out.

Attachments

• piggybank_lg_clr.gif
    piggybank_lg_clr.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 3,324
OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Thanks all......I hope to be able to get out some more...and now I have this silly notion of getting to 100 silver coins before the season is over here in SW Pa. One thing's for sure....it won't happen unless I hunt some new yards. I really put the coil to the soil today....and I feel fortunate to have found a pair of silver coins that I missed on previous outings. I have a couple places lined up....so I guess it's time to move to new ground.

Wyatt

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Wyatt, you are really kicking butt with the silver finds, Congrats! HH, Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice!

hh

lonewolfe

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Hey Art......I ue a dilute solution of ammonia and water to clean up the pennies and my clad prior to tumbling. I don't save wheat cents...theose just go to the bank. If I get a key date....then I'll probably go with olive oil....but this common stuff just needs cleaned well enough to go to the bank. Ammonia and water works real well for that.

Got out for about an hour this morning.....clad quarter, clad dime....couple pennies. I had stuff to do, so had to cut short and come home. I got permission to do a new place....great looking lawn between one section of the old neighborhood and the old high school.....a natural shortcut. I think it's been cleaned up already as I wasn't able to get squat there. The place is right along the main road....so following my own advice...."if it looks like a great spot....you probably aren't the first one to think so"......I'd have to say that's exactly what was in play in this case.

Back to those yards on the inner blocks when I get back out.

Wyatt

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More silver for your new container!

Congrats on your finds Wyatt!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Until this month...I'd found 4 walking liberty half dollar coins since I started this in 1978, but I hadn't been out for a dozen years or more. I found 4 walkers this month....and it's an amazing feeling when it's actually a silver half and not the lid off of a jar of baby food.

The silver dollars were bought with clad......I am still waiting to dig my first silver dollar. I can only imagine.

Thanks Nana. I wasn't able to get out but for an hour this morning....gonna take a long time to fill this thing up.

Wyatt

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Thanks Wyatt, I usually tumble mine as well just with a little washing up liquid for dishes. It gets them fairly clean and the bank doesn't look at me so strange. As far as the silver coins I haven't tried to clean them. Now for silver rings, I use a few drops of distilled vinegar and wrap it in aluminum foil. Does a great job for those. Wasn't sure if it would be OK for some silver coins. Thanks Art...

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Hi Art.......I just wash the siver coins with dish soap. I don't ususally bother with more than that unless a coin's badly stained. I have some silver coins that don't look too good...but that's the way it goes. Some of them are superb...some are less than superb.

I think the whol thing about "cleaning" silver coins is pretty much a joke if it's a circulated coin and the cleaning is just soap and water. I've always thought that it was just a way for dealers to buy your stuff cheaper. I can say that because mine aren't for sale.

The only way to "damage" a circulated silver coin is by using caustic solutions and/or the old aluminum foil trick. It removes all of the natural patina and makes them look pasty and fake....like freshly cast fishing sinkers.

Just my opinion....and worth what you paid for it ;D

Wyatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread