Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a detector lover. I mean I like trying out new machines almost as much as digging loot.

I recently saw this ad on ebay offering new detectors BUY-IT-NOW for $29.99.

It wasn't advertised as a kids toy and something within said give it a try. So I bought it and about one week later it was on my doorstep. Total cost with shipping was $39.99.

This is a todays find post so I won't do a REVIEW of the detector here. If there's much interest I may do that in the proper section.

I went out to the unpaved portion of an old driveway near our house and turned my new toy on. The used battery I found in the house registered "low." Oh well, I didn't have much time so I hit the drive anyway. Just a few days ago there was 7 inches of snow in this location.

It was cold a rainy so I covered the machine with plastic wrap.

In the picture you'll see my finds. The deepest penny was 2 1/2 inches with a loud signal. The ground in this location is filled with rusty nails, etc. Every target I dug was a find--no false signals. The machine pinpointed and discriminated perfectly.

The two stones you see were found while hunting. These are Michigan State stones (Petoskey Stones) worth about 50 cents each.

The coil of copper tubing was found 3 1/4 inches deep under thick sod in the yard.

Total time hunting: 17 minutes.

HH

Attachments

• digtesta.jpg
    digtesta.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,464
  • digtestb.jpg
    digtestb.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,383
  • digtestc.jpg
    digtestc.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,691
Upvote 1

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
How many tones does it have? can you tell a coin from trash?

It wouldn't take long to pay for itself if it works ok.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal,

hh

lonewolfe

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good deal. Yeah, it probably will not get real deep but that is a rock bottom price. Wonder how long it will hold up?
I once bought the cheapest AM/FM Cassette deck for my '77 Toyota Corolla. That thing outlasted 3-4 of the other units that my brothers had and they cost twice as much.

Sounds like this is not your second detector... 3rd or 4th? ;D Everyone has to have at least two.

Bob

Z

ZumbroKid

By the looks of the signals you dug, if you get in the right spot you will get something real nice. Is that Garret green?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
These detectors are being sold on ebay at this time under: Metal Detector, NOVIGEAR Target Shooter

It's just a Chinese made unit and doesn't have any connection with Garrett. I need to try it more with a good battery to know its full potential.

At this stage of the game I'd say it will detect a dime at about 3 1/2 to 4" max., and a quarter at maybe 5 inches. One would need to use headphones to pick up the subtle increase in tone.

It uses only one tone as far as I can tell. I haven't even had time to read the manual yet.

The meter is only a sensitivity meter--no target ID.

The one thing I really like about this machine is its ability to reject iron/foil and yet pick up everything from rings to coins.

When I get time I'll do more testing and post the whole thing elsewhere.

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ? ? Who's to say, that with todays detectors easily going to 10 inches.
? That there won't be a market open up for machines specifictly designed for and better suited for intermediate depths.
? ? ? ?May sound silly.
? ? ? But how many out there pass over the 3 and 4 inch signals, to get to what they assume are the better and deeper signals?? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Sounds like it works, and does a good job. As long as it find the coinage, might turn out to be a pretty good deal. Just need to see how it works in the long run. Keep us posted. Good luck with it.

Ken

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments.

I just did this for fun as I normally use top-of-the-line machines such as Whites, Fisher, Minelab, etc. These are my main hunting weapons.

I just like to sort of goof-off once in a while and see what's out there for beginners.

I did put a new battery in the detector this evening and it greatly increased its depth. It air tests at about 6 inches on a penny. That's not bad for a $30 machine! Heck, a good digging tool cost that much.

I think this unit may also have a practical use besides just being a "toy" detector for some kid. While the stuff I found isn't very impressive, it is noteworthy to mention that I totally hunted this exact same area with a Minelab Excalibur before I used the "toy." I didn't detect a thing with the Minelab.

The reason for this being the 10 inch search coil. The "toy" has a 6 1/2 inch coil. The smaller coil enabled me to work between the large amount of trash in that ground. I mean that site is loaded with nasty old nails, rusted bolts, chunks of deep large iron, etc. This is a very old drive dating in use back to the 1880's. The Minelabs great depth actually works against it in this situation. This is what rvbvetter mentioned in the post above.

Extra Note: A couple of my finds were about 2 1/2 inches deep. In past years, I've found Indian Cents at that depth in this area while using high priced units.

HH

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Zeb, thanks for the additional info. You know a smaller coil for my DFX will run me over $100. Sounds like this would be a good "trashy parks" machine. Very tempting.....

Bob

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
You're welcome, Bob.

One thing to remember with this detector is you need headphones and you must hunt VERY slowly.

This is NOT an all-round machine. But, for a child's Christmas gift, you could do worse.

This same company has another model they're selling for just $15 more that may be a much better buy. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know.

Anyway, I'll have fun next spring trying this little "buzz box" after I've covered a trashy area with some mega power machine.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool stones and thanks to Wetgreenie for the history lesson on the stones. Never heard of them before they sre look neat after they are polished up.
Good finds.
Happy hunitn.
Rob

Jun 28, 2011
I have a novi gear metal detector and read ur post its one my grandfather gave me i recently picked up metal detecting as a hobbie but cant seem to find any info on this green metal detector it is identical to yours didnt know if u had any info about it or how to use and program the dials the tunning and disrimination i had a manual but lost it a couple years ago you can respond back to this if ud like with any information would help thank you!!!
Todd Small

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to avoid Chinese made stuff whenever possible. I would rather see my money go to American workers.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a summer in Petosky a few years ago, and found the stones all over the beach there, they are really neat. That machine seems like a pretty good deal for a back up or a loaner, let us know how it works out.

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't beat the price thats for sure :thumbsup:

netnothing

Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like I have in my possession the same model and brand detector. I am the sexton of our small town cemetery and was given this detector for helping locate boundaries. The problem is that the operation manual seems to have been misplaced and I am a complete novice/rookie. Could you give me any help in how to operate this machine? What is the red button for?

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's a old thread but I just bought one at a garage sale for 10 bucks. Having some problems learning how to use it since I'm new to MD. But I've found a couple beer caps with it. Went to walk to the store and a couple guys were hitting the school across from me with 2800 dollar machines and not picking up coins just high dollar things. Asked them a bunch of questions and they were very very helpful. Can't wait to go back over it and clean up them coins lol. But I like my machine it's a nice intro one, but going to upgrade soon for a bigger coil and deeper pen. Only thing is it won't register iron or steel. Which is kinda weird or I did a test nickel and very hard to find those if on their side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread