Upvote 1

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find Ocean! I would love to pull a piece of copper that old out of the ground!

Kent

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Nice going O7. Its a shame that copper doesn't hold up as well as silver. That one looks like it would have had some great detail in it.....Lance

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys!

Kent - well it can years before you find a site that produces these coins but when you find one - it's a real joy! It has to have been used by people back in early 1800's but this is not always obvious.

For instance, I've hunted a site that produced 1900's silver. Gave it up for many years and then returned with latest detector. One of the 1st things I found was a copper there at 12" DEEP. I thought, ok this was a fluke. But several months later, quite a distance from original find but in same field - I dug a 1796 copper that was only like 3" deep. I had never gone over that area with a coil.
Research shows there was never any house on this land. So how did they get there? Did a farmer lose them while plowing his field or was dirt hauled in from some place else? Ya just never know.

I hope you find a copper and one that has good visible date etc. best bets are old properties or old farm houses. HH!
-------------------------

Lance - yeah sometimes you'd just like to find one in really good shape but then you realize how lucky you are to find them at all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread