Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    6583 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi
    Fantastic find muttondjeeps! As someone who was lucky enough to dig the "laurel wreath " variety of this series of buttons years ago, I have a personal affection for them, and I think there's more history locked into such a small piece of brass than any other "non-pesonal" object we could find, except perhaps a silver center cent (that's next for your son!)

I do not have access to the Cobb collection, however when looking through Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" I see something curious. This button of your son's does not match any of them exactly, neither the 11A variety (the contemporary button with close spacing) or even the WC, B, C, or R, (the last of which are considered non-contemporary)

Although your son's button seems to be a wide spaced variety, the amount of corrosion and wear make it unlikely that it is not contemporary.

Beyond that though, the upper horizontal "flag" on the left arm of the "W" is clearly thick, while on every other example listed in Albert's it is thin. This seems to distinguish it as a button yet to be recorded, but probably genuine none the less.

Yet another distinguishing feature of your son's button is the cross hatched background, which does not seem to be evident on the Albert examples.

Anyway, I think your button is wonderful, probably uinique, and I will as my first task as a new member of the forum, vote for it!

(now I'm going to post a button find I made a couple weeks ago which is entirely different)

Agreed. This is an exciting find! The cross-hatching resembles the 5e WITH the upper die strike.

One thing is for certain, do not clean this find any further. And a BIG congratulations, on July 4th to boot.
    2020 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Republic of Texas Navy Cuff Button
    US Civil War Belt Plate
    Eagle Breastplate
    Louisiana Pelican Cuff Button
    Louisiana Pelican Coat Button
    Corps of Artillerists and Engineers Button 1798-1802
    Two CW eagle coat buttons
    One CW eagle cuff button
    New York Staff Officer Cuff Button
    Monogrammed Silver Love Token
    M1858 Remington Revolver Trigger Guard
    Coin Silver mid-1800s "Fede Ring"
    1820s-30s silver eyeglasses frame fragment
    dateless half real
    1850 20 centimes French silver
    1852 three cent silver
    1839-O, 1840, 1848-O, 1851, 1851-O, 1852-O, two 1853's, 1856-O, 1857, and 1858-O Half Dimes
    1891-O and one dateless Seated Liberty Dime
    1892-O, 1899 and 1906-O Barber Quarters
    1942-P and two 1943-P War Nickels
    shotgun breechblock
    iron prisoner shackles
    picket pin
    Spurs
    Plantation tokens
    Minieballs, Beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and some GawGag

OUR 2019 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...9-wrap-up.html
    OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

us
    Oct 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
    2 times

Amazingly tied find to today, congratulations to you and your son! oh, and BANNER!!
    Purveyor of fine rusted iron, aluminum cans, and pull tabs since 1995!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi
    Fantastic find muttondjeeps! As someone who was lucky enough to dig the "laurel wreath " variety of this series of buttons years ago, I have a personal affection for them, and I think there's more history locked into such a small piece of brass than any other "non-pesonal" object we could find, except perhaps a silver center cent (that's next for your son!)

I do not have access to the Cobb collection, however when looking through Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" I see something curious. This button of your son's does not match any of them exactly, neither the 11A variety (the contemporary button with close spacing) or even the WC, B, C, or R, (the last of which are considered non-contemporary)

Although your son's button seems to be a wide spaced variety, the amount of corrosion and wear make it unlikely that it is not contemporary.

Beyond that though, the upper horizontal "flag" on the left arm of the "W" is clearly thick, while on every other example listed in Albert's it is thin. This seems to distinguish it as a button yet to be recorded, but probably genuine none the less.

Yet another distinguishing feature of your son's button is the cross hatched background, which does not seem to be evident on the Albert examples.

Anyway, I think your button is wonderful, probably uinique, and I will as my first task as a new member of the forum, vote for it!

(now I'm going to post a button find I made a couple weeks ago which is entirely different)

Agreed. This is an exciting find! The cross-hatching resembles the 5e WITH the upper die strike.

One thing is for certain, do not clean this find any further. And a BIG congratulations, on July 4th to boot.
    To access J. Harold Cobbs collection, and a closeup of 5b, with thatching, just Goggle it. Go to the colored picks and it will be in the 9 o'clock position, to the left of the Liberty Cap Var. Please also note the bottom of the "G" as it is slightly cut off, or straight as is the button just found. Also note the upper flag of "W" is thick. I don't have access to Alberts, but from the Cobb Collection, it IS an exact match. Sorry to disagree but, it is what it is. 5b. P. S. Could someone please send me a pic of the "E" variety in Alberts you're looking at?
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    77 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

amazing and congratulations, what a GREAT American Independence day find
    Leave no stone unturned.

Can't get much better for a 4th find!

Banner all the way!

Great find in beautiful condition. Banner all the way!
    Finder of Things!

us
    Feb 2009
    NC
    Whites XLT
    56 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Awesome button and a perfect day to find it

Now you'll knock your other Banner Buttons (1776 No Stamp Act) off. The mods have been rather tight with the Banner selections as of late but this should make it

us
    Jul 2009
    new jersey
    minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
    137 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

"To access J. Harold Cobbs collection, and a closeup of 5b, with thatching, just Goggle it. Go to the colored picks and it will be in the 9 o'clock position, to the left of the Liberty Cap Var. Please also note the bottom of the "G" as it is slightly cut off, or straight as is the button just found. Also note the upper flag of "W" is thick. I don't have access to Alberts, but from the Cobb Collection, it IS an exact match. Sorry to disagree but, it is what it is. 5b. P. S. Could someone please send me a pic of the "E" variety in Alberts you're looking at?"

Hogge, thank you for the link to Harold Cobb's collection. To be clear, we were not in disagreement at all. Having not seen the Cobb collection, I simply pointed out this particular variety is not listed in Albert's recorded examples. In addition, we are discussing two diffferent numbering systems, Albert's and Cobbs. Clearly this is a variety of the "GW" button which Albert was not aware of, but which Cobb owned, and which he numbered "5b". As I said in my post, it is a fantastic find. The fact that Albert was not aware of it indicates it to be that much rarer. Incidently, I would send you a scan of Albert's "E" variety, however there is no "E" variety of this button design in the Albert records.
    johnnyi

Superb find by your son appropriately enough on the 4th of July!

Cobb's numbering system is different from Albert's. Looking in the book it appears to be a WI 11 C or possibly WI 11 B

WI 11 B says: The device with medium spacing , oval is 17.5 x 10.0mm , button 34mm in diameter

WI 11 C says: The device with wide spacing, oval is 17.7 x 9.2mm, button 34mm in diameter

Note: These buttons are believed to be noncontemporary

I would suggest measuring the oval and see which one matches. I believe the WI 11 B is the correct one, medium spacing.... Do not know what to make of the "Note" statement. Made when?

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

OOPs. My bad. No "E" var. Cobb #--5b...........Alberts # WI-11c.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Superb find by your son appropriately enough on the 4th of July!

Cobb's numbering system is different from Albert's. Looking in the book it appears to be a WI 11 C or possibly WI 11 B

WI 11 B says: The device with medium spacing , oval is 17.5 x 10.0mm , button 34mm in diameter

WI 11 C says: The device with wide spacing, oval is 17.7 x 9.2mm, button 34mm in diameter

Note: These buttons are believed to be noncontemporary

I would suggest measuring the oval and see which one matches. I believe the WI 11 B is the correct one, medium spacing....

Do not know what to make of the "Note" statement. Made when?

Don

If noncontemporary, definitely shortly there after. When it's only believed, and the button is obviously old, does it really matter? I doubt it.

HCW

Feb 2007
    White's MXT
    472 times

CONGRADULATIONS . Banner is the smallest part of this to be proud of. Now it's my turn. I hope.

us
    Relic hunter

Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    424 times
    Relic Hunting

Awesome Find,

Nova Treasure

us
    Jul 2009
    new jersey
    minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
    137 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

"OOPs. My bad. No "E" var. Cobb #--5b...........Alberts # WI-11c."

No, not Albert's W11c either. Although Albert's W11c does have the wide spacing, it also has a thin top line (flag) on the left arm of the "W". The variety newly found here has a thick flag. This is not a variety of any examples shown in Albert, probably making it all the more scarce despite Cobb having had an example. I regret I haven't learned yet how to post a picture, but I will attempt one soon so you can compare the different examples.

*One more thing; the Albert example that comes closest (WI 11 C) also shows the "GW" almost touching the oval. This newly found example seems to show the GW well within the oval, again confirming it is not an example shown in Alberts.
    johnnyi

us
    Jan 2005
    SW Iowa

CONGRATS SAM

You guys are Hot on those old buttons!! Do you give lessons?

Good find......
    Bill

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links