Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On this beatiful sunny 4th of July day, my son Sam and I ventured off the beaten path to a foundation in the woods that looked promising. Nothing much seemed to want to be found until I got a small tombac button, as I'm calling out to him that I had a button, he said "me too". I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington. Sure enough, in his hand was his prize, a GW Inaugural button. I'm sure this is a 4th he'll never forget. Happy 4th of July to all.

Attachments

• P7040086.JPG
    P7040086.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 3,174
  • P7040087.JPG
    P7040087.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 3,167
  • P7040091.JPG
    P7040091.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 3,158
  • P7040092.JPG
    P7040092.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 3,136
Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button and a perfect day to find it :icon_king:

Now you'll knock your other Banner Buttons (1776 No Stamp Act) off. The mods have been rather tight with the Banner selections as of late :icon_scratch: but this should make it :hello2:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"To access J. Harold Cobbs collection, and a closeup of 5b, with thatching, just Goggle it. Go to the colored picks and it will be in the 9 o'clock position, to the left of the Liberty Cap Var. Please also note the bottom of the "G" as it is slightly cut off, or straight as is the button just found. Also note the upper flag of "W" is thick. I don't have access to Alberts, but from the Cobb Collection, it IS an exact match. Sorry to disagree but, it is what it is. 5b. P. S. Could someone please send me a pic of the "E" variety in Alberts you're looking at?"

Hogge, thank you for the link to Harold Cobb's collection. To be clear, we were not in disagreement at all. Having not seen the Cobb collection, I simply pointed out this particular variety is not listed in Albert's recorded examples. In addition, we are discussing two diffferent numbering systems, Albert's and Cobbs. Clearly this is a variety of the "GW" button which Albert was not aware of, but which Cobb owned, and which he numbered "5b". As I said in my post, it is a fantastic find. The fact that Albert was not aware of it indicates it to be that much rarer. Incidently, I would send you a scan of Albert's "E" variety, however there is no "E" variety of this button design in the Albert records.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb find by your son appropriately enough on the 4th of July!

Cobb's numbering system is different from Albert's. Looking in the book it appears to be a WI 11 C or possibly WI 11 B

WI 11 B says: The device with medium spacing , oval is 17.5 x 10.0mm , button 34mm in diameter

WI 11 C says: The device with wide spacing, oval is 17.7 x 9.2mm, button 34mm in diameter

Note: These buttons are believed to be noncontemporary

I would suggest measuring the oval and see which one matches. I believe the WI 11 B is the correct one, medium spacing.... Do not know what to make of the "Note" statement. Made when? :dontknow:

Don

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPs. My bad. No "E" var. :-X Cobb #--5b...........Alberts # WI-11c.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Superb find by your son appropriately enough on the 4th of July!

Cobb's numbering system is different from Albert's. Looking in the book it appears to be a WI 11 C or possibly WI 11 B

WI 11 B says: The device with medium spacing , oval is 17.5 x 10.0mm , button 34mm in diameter

WI 11 C says: The device with wide spacing, oval is 17.7 x 9.2mm, button 34mm in diameter

Note: These buttons are believed to be noncontemporary

I would suggest measuring the oval and see which one matches. I believe the WI 11 B is the correct one, medium spacing....

Do not know what to make of the "Note" statement. Made when? :dontknow:

Don

If noncontemporary, definitely shortly there after. When it's only believed, and the button is obviously old, does it really matter? I doubt it.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
CONGRADULATIONS . Banner is the smallest part of this to be proud of. Now it's my turn. I hope.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"OOPs. My bad. No "E" var. Cobb #--5b...........Alberts # WI-11c."

No, not Albert's W11c either. Although Albert's W11c does have the wide spacing, it also has a thin top line (flag) on the left arm of the "W". The variety newly found here has a thick flag. This is not a variety of any examples shown in Albert, probably making it all the more scarce despite Cobb having had an example. I regret I haven't learned yet how to post a picture, but I will attempt one soon so you can compare the different examples.

*One more thing; the Albert example that comes closest (WI 11 C) also shows the "GW" almost touching the oval. This newly found example seems to show the GW well within the oval, again confirming it is not an example shown in Alberts.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find on any day. To find it on Independence Day is fantastic.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"You guys are Hot on those old buttons!! Do you give lessons?"

Sure, Here's Lesson #1

Dig out all those old brass buttons with mud on the back you've never bothered to look at and clean the backs. I absolutely guarantee that if everyone did that we'd be hearing about more "Monroes', Jacksons", Van Burens", and probably a few more valuable unlisted backmarked political buttons within days!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
If there is a place to have it professionaly cleaned id suggest that. If there is not- IMO, and if it was me, and since folks wont agree, and if it was mine... etc... etc. Id get a ultrasonic cleaner use water only and run it in that for a while but i wouldent put even a tooothpick to it.
If it were mine.

Wow a 13 yr old found this!!!! :icon_thumright: what a Great day for you and Him. :icon_thumleft:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
HAPPY DANCE BIG TIME !!!!!! BANNER BANNER BANNER.....Congrats now stop messing around and go get a clad penny, I wanna see you top that! LOL.......jgas

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Kevin, you and Sam find some truly fantastic items! Your newest addition doesn't quite fit the 5-b. Time to have the experts weigh in on this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have a (previously) unknown variation!

Picked the perfect day for such a wonderful find! WELL DONE! :wink:

(Mods time to add the 1776 button to the "best of" to make room on the banner for this one. :thumbsup: ;D )

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
I hope that muttandjeeps gets back here and sees what has been posted. I bet him and the son are unaware of the value of this button! Congrats!!!!

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER 4 sure!!! I love when I am out with my kids and they find kool stuff!! But that find is flat out AWESOME!! WTG :headbang: :notworthy: :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread