Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    us
    Jul 2008
    Moved from the Peoples Commonwealth of Massachusetts to the hills of southern Kentucky
    CTX-3030 / XTerra 705 / Tejon
    26 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

On this beatiful sunny 4th of July day, my son Sam and I ventured off the beaten path to a foundation in the woods that looked promising. Nothing much seemed to want to be found until I got a small tombac button, as I'm calling out to him that I had a button, he said "me too". I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington. Sure enough, in his hand was his prize, a GW Inaugural button. I'm sure this is a 4th he'll never forget. Happy 4th of July to all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040086.JPG 
Views:	3081 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	310169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040087.JPG 
Views:	3077 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	310170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040091.JPG 
Views:	3065 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	310171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040092.JPG 
Views:	3044 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	310172  

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    41 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

Sweet I'll be the first to say Banner find Congrats, thats a great piece of history.

HH Charlie

Absolutely a Tremendous find! I hope to find one myself someday. IT'S CHRISTMAS IN JULY, AND ON THE 4th NO-LESS! Congrats and my BANNER VOTE for you! THE HOGGE
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

us
    Nov 2008
    kingston ny
    minelab quattro, explorer se pro
    83 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

i love finding buttons even if i know little about them
    but a find like this one is some thing i dream about
    i vote banner

us
    Oct 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    White's Matrix M6
    188 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Awesome banner find!

This Button is classified as "5b" in Cobb's collection. There seems to be about 80 or so of these known.The one in his collection,( which was not dug), sold for $3,000. Again, my Banner vote is in!!
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

us
    Apr 2007
    SW Michigan
    Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x

Uhhh. I'm almost shaking and I didn't even find it. I'll say banner for sure!

Is this it hogge?
    http://historical.ha.com/common/view...o=48004#Photo#

Holy crap. If it doesn't display say the price it sold for it was $7,170 after I logged in.

wow!

us
    Apr 2007
    Southwestern, MN
    Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon
    1 times

Another Awesome Banner Button!!!!!!!!!!
    HH!!
    Swingit

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2009
    new jersey
    minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
    119 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Fantastic find muttondjeeps! As someone who was lucky enough to dig the "laurel wreath " variety of this series of buttons years ago, I have a personal affection for them, and I think there's more history locked into such a small piece of brass than any other "non-pesonal" object we could find, except perhaps a silver center cent (that's next for your son!)

I do not have access to the Cobb collection, however when looking through Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" I see something curious. This button of your son's does not match any of them exactly, neither the 11A variety (the contemporary button with close spacing) or even the WC, B, C, or R, (the last of which are considered non-contemporary)

Although your son's button seems to be a wide spaced variety, the amount of corrosion and wear make it unlikely that it is not contemporary.

Beyond that though, the upper horizontal "flag" on the left arm of the "W" is clearly thick, while on every other example listed in Albert's it is thin. This seems to distinguish it as a button yet to be recorded, but probably genuine none the less.

Yet another distinguishing feature of your son's button is the cross hatched background, which does not seem to be evident on the Albert examples.

Anyway, I think your button is wonderful, probably uinique, and I will as my first task as a new member of the forum, vote for it!

(now I'm going to post a button find I made a couple weeks ago which is entirely different)

johnnyi

Charter Member
    us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    75 times

WOW! Congrats to your son (your button too!) But, a special to your son, your right he will remember this 4th of July always, a fantastic find and real special today!....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This is the day the Lord hath made we shall rejoice and be glad in it!

Mar 2008
    upstate ny
    se pro
    5 times
    dirty pennies
    Banner Finds (1)

awesome button. banner for sure. dwayne
    dirty pennies...

Quote Originally Posted by drgest
    Uhhh. I'm almost shaking and I didn't even find it. I'll say banner for sure!

Is this it hogge?
    http://historical.ha.com/common/view...o=48004#Photo#

Holy crap. If it doesn't display say the price it sold for it was $7,170 after I logged in.

wow!
    Nope....Not correct. The one you have pictured is classified as a "5". Brass with narrow spacing which is the more valuable of the varieties. His is a "5b", or brass with wide spacing. Being "non-dug", the one you showed will bring a premium price. The one he has, being dug, you take half off the value of a non-dug piece right away. Geez, I'd hate to be "misquoted"or, misinterpreted, by some of the other members on here, by putting my "2 cents" in on value. ( I think we all know where this came from). IT IS A TREMENDOUS FIND, AND A TRUE BANNER FIND!!!!!! If mutton would want to PM me, I could give him an estimate of auction value.

us
    oddcoins

Jun 2006
    Eugene Oregon
    Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
    121 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

THAT IS SO FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!

BANNER ~ BANNER ~ BANNER ~ BANNER!
    Got dog tags?  I'm looking for old dog tax tags and dog license tags! From any city, any county, and any state (prefer pre-1970) ~ oddcoins@msn.com

us
    I go by Digger on most forums. But that name was already taken here.

Jul 2008
    Midwest
    X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
    Banner Finds (1)

Congratulations to Sam on yet another great find. And congratulations to you for finding a hobby that you could enjoy with your son. If you guys keep this up, TNet is going to have to start charging you rent for the Banner spots you've earned!
    Seriously, this Independence Day is certainly one you will remember. Thanks for the phone call. I could definitely hear the excitement in both your voices! HH Randy
    You'll never know for sure, unless you dig it!

Digger USA, formerly known on this site as 1957GMC

us
    Nov 2008
    10 times
    Banner Finds (1)

wow awesome find!!!!! banner. willy.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors