Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On this beatiful sunny 4th of July day, my son Sam and I ventured off the beaten path to a foundation in the woods that looked promising. Nothing much seemed to want to be found until I got a small tombac button, as I'm calling out to him that I had a button, he said "me too". I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington. Sure enough, in his hand was his prize, a GW Inaugural button. I'm sure this is a 4th he'll never forget. Happy 4th of July to all.

Attachments

• P7040086.JPG
    P7040086.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 3,174
  • P7040087.JPG
    P7040087.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 3,167
  • P7040091.JPG
    P7040091.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 3,158
  • P7040092.JPG
    P7040092.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 3,136
Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely a Tremendous find! I hope to find one myself someday. IT'S CHRISTMAS IN JULY, AND ON THE 4th NO-LESS! Congrats and my BANNER VOTE for you! :notworthy: THE HOGGE

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i love finding buttons even if i know little about them
but a find like this one is some thing i dream about
i vote banner

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Button is classified as "5b" in Cobb's collection. There seems to be about 80 or so of these known.The one in his collection,( which was not dug), sold for $3,000. Again, my Banner vote is in!! :thumbsup:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find muttondjeeps! As someone who was lucky enough to dig the "laurel wreath " variety of this series of buttons years ago, I have a personal affection for them, and I think there's more history locked into such a small piece of brass than any other "non-pesonal" object we could find, except perhaps a silver center cent (that's next for your son!)

I do not have access to the Cobb collection, however when looking through Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" I see something curious. This button of your son's does not match any of them exactly, neither the 11A variety (the contemporary button with close spacing) or even the WC, B, C, or R, (the last of which are considered non-contemporary)

Although your son's button seems to be a wide spaced variety, the amount of corrosion and wear make it unlikely that it is not contemporary.

Beyond that though, the upper horizontal "flag" on the left arm of the "W" is clearly thick, while on every other example listed in Albert's it is thin. This seems to distinguish it as a button yet to be recorded, but probably genuine none the less.

Yet another distinguishing feature of your son's button is the cross hatched background, which does not seem to be evident on the Albert examples.

Anyway, I think your button is wonderful, probably uinique, and I will as my first task as a new member of the forum, vote for it!

(now I'm going to post a button find I made a couple weeks ago which is entirely different)

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Congrats to your son (your button too!) But, a special to your son, your right he will remember this 4th of July always, a fantastic find and real special today!....

Attachments

• banner.JPG
    banner.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,974

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drgest said:
Uhhh. I'm almost shaking and I didn't even find it. I'll say banner for sure!

Is this it hogge?
http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6004&Lot_No=48004#Photo#

Holy crap. If it doesn't display say the price it sold for it was $7,170 after I logged in.

wow!
Nope....Not correct. The one you have pictured is classified as a "5". Brass with narrow spacing which is the more valuable of the varieties. His is a "5b", or brass with wide spacing. Being "non-dug", the one you showed will bring a premium price. The one he has, being dug, you take half off the value of a non-dug piece right away. Geez, I'd hate to be "misquoted"or, misinterpreted, by some of the other members on here, by putting my "2 cents" in on value. ::) ( I think we all know where this came from). IT IS A TREMENDOUS FIND, AND A TRUE BANNER FIND!!!!!! If mutton would want to PM me, I could give him an estimate of auction value. :-X

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
THAT IS SO FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!

BANNER ~ BANNER ~ BANNER ~ BANNER!

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
Congratulations to Sam on yet another great find. :notworthy: And congratulations to you for finding a hobby that you could enjoy with your son. If you guys keep this up, TNet is going to have to start charging you rent for the Banner spots you've earned! :laughing7:
Seriously, this Independence Day is certainly one you will remember. Thanks for the phone call. :hello: I could definitely hear the excitement in both your voices! HH Randy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Fantastic find muttondjeeps! As someone who was lucky enough to dig the "laurel wreath " variety of this series of buttons years ago, I have a personal affection for them, and I think there's more history locked into such a small piece of brass than any other "non-pesonal" object we could find, except perhaps a silver center cent (that's next for your son!)

I do not have access to the Cobb collection, however when looking through Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" I see something curious. This button of your son's does not match any of them exactly, neither the 11A variety (the contemporary button with close spacing) or even the WC, B, C, or R, (the last of which are considered non-contemporary)

Although your son's button seems to be a wide spaced variety, the amount of corrosion and wear make it unlikely that it is not contemporary.

Beyond that though, the upper horizontal "flag" on the left arm of the "W" is clearly thick, while on every other example listed in Albert's it is thin. This seems to distinguish it as a button yet to be recorded, but probably genuine none the less.

Yet another distinguishing feature of your son's button is the cross hatched background, which does not seem to be evident on the Albert examples.

Anyway, I think your button is wonderful, probably uinique, and I will as my first task as a new member of the forum, vote for it!

(now I'm going to post a button find I made a couple weeks ago which is entirely different)

Agreed. This is an exciting find! The cross-hatching resembles the 5e WITH the upper die strike. :o

One thing is for certain, do not clean this find any further. And a BIG congratulations, on July 4th to boot. :thumbsup:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Amazingly tied find to today, congratulations to you and your son! oh, and BANNER!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
johnnyi said:

Agreed. This is an exciting find! The cross-hatching resembles the 5e WITH the upper die strike. :o

One thing is for certain, do not clean this find any further. And a BIG congratulations, on July 4th to boot. :thumbsup:
To access J. Harold Cobbs collection, and a closeup of 5b, with thatching, just Goggle it. Go to the colored picks and it will be in the 9 o'clock position, to the left of the Liberty Cap Var. Please also note the bottom of the "G" as it is slightly cut off, or straight as is the button just found. Also note the upper flag of "W" is thick. I don't have access to Alberts, but from the Cobb Collection, it IS an exact match. Sorry to disagree but, it is what it is. 5b. P. S. Could someone please send me a pic of the "E" variety in Alberts you're looking at?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't get much better for a 4th find!

Banner all the way!

Top Member Reactions