I had a rough start today, but finished it with a bang! 3 silvers and 6 wheats!

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Well... I woke up early this morning to do some dirt fishin'. I had obtained permission to metal detect a property that has had large gatherings of people since the 30's. Needless to say I was excited! I got my gear together and hit the road at 7:30. It took me about an hour to get there, but I figured it would be worth it. When I arrived I noticed that the owner was there so I figured I would talk with him for a few minutes before I started swinging. Before I could even get "Hi" out of my mouth, he told me that he had changed his mind about letting me detect the area. I told him that I do not leave any messes and I treat the grounds that I search with the up most respect. He then said he had talked it over with his brother,(the other owner) and they had decided that they didn't want me to do it. My heart sank. I said thank you anyway and I was on my way. I couldn't believe it! I came all that way for nothing. This was a rough start that was not anticipated. All was not lost though. There was another site relatively close to where I was(about another 30 miles) that I had detected before with Dan3921 and it had yielded silver. This is where I found my best silver coin a few years back, a 1921 D Merc. Can you believe we had not been back since! Just seemed too far to travel, with other sites to hunt that were closer. Also, it is kind of difficult to hunt. It very steep and grown up a little. Boy was I glad I went back! I hunted for 5 hours. I ended up with 6 wheats(41x2, 53x3, 1910) and 3 silvers(2 mercs, 1944 and 1918 and a 1961 quarter). I also found about 7 bucks in clad. Hey Dan and Mainer, wish you guys were there too! Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Too bad about the first part, but at least your spirits got raised by an awesome silver haul! Congrats!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I hate it when the owner changed their minds after you had driven so far. But at least you had a great day at a different site......Matt

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I had a rough start today, but finished it with a bang! 3 silvers and 6 whe

Some very nice finds! All things happen for a reason!! WTG :hello2:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT COME BACK!!WTG!!!

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Congrats on the 1918 Merc. The only Merc I ever found was in a cemetary at a funeral. I was finding flint chips and there it was, had to take it home and clean it to certain the date.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I had a rough start today, but finished it with a bang! 3 silvers and 6 whe

Well good for you. That is the hardest sell of all sometimes when you show up and they have changed their minds. I am glad you had a good hunt anyways and that is what it takes. Getting out there and having a plan. Way to go and very nice finds.
Regards sir,
TnMountains

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Thanks for all the replies guys! I went a long way and it was hard work, but I guess it makes the silver that much sweeter! HH.

Fr3nchy27

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds bro, how did we miss all those silver? You find them in the same spot as the 21 D? the old slope?

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Way to go on the silver, Frenchy. I'm dying for a silver Washington.

I had a similar thing happen. Talked to one brother who said "go for it". I was digging my first plug when I heard "Who the he$$ are you?", followed by "He's not the final say on giving permission, and I don't want you here!".

I explained that I understood, told him I didn't want to cause trouble and I'll be on my way. When he looked at my detector and asked "How does that thing work?" I knew I had a chance. One hour later, I'm hunting the property with an invite back the next day. I brought him my spare detector to use, and in exactly 60 minutes into his detecting career, he pulled a 1864 IHP at 2" deep.

MP

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never like a good start its the kiss of death. I like a steady start & build up :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
mountainplayer said:
Way to go on the silver, Frenchy. I'm dying for a silver Washington.

I had a similar thing happen. Talked to one brother who said "go for it". I was digging my first plug when I heard "Who the he$$ are you?", followed by "He's not the final say on giving permission, and I don't want you here!".

I explained that I understood, told him I didn't want to cause trouble and I'll be on my way. When he looked at my detector and asked "How does that thing work?" I knew I had a chance. One hour later, I'm hunting the property with an invite back the next day. I brought him my spare detector to use, and in exactly 60 minutes into his detecting career, he pulled a 1864 IHP at 2" deep.

MP

Hey mountainplayer! Thanks for the reply. I'll be moving out your way soon, maybe we can hook up for a hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread