Colonial Era Silver Ring!?!.....HELP!

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
???
Hello to all...This is my best find, but have no clue what I've found!
This is a ring that I found about 1 year ago that has had me perplexed....found it using an White's XLT, the item in question rang out loud and clear from at least 10 inches down in really hard packed soil....I know this beauty had been down there for quite some time due to the depth and density of the ground that it came from. The site is an old "Redman's" Social club in S. Indiana, and right from the front lawn of the place! (this old facility dates back to at least late 1800's to very early 1900's)
Anywhoo...it has no markings what-so-ever on the inside of the band...generally speaking, I think most of todays silver is marked, but not this. I have no doubts that it is made of silver though...you just know that look of old silver when it pops up out of the ground!
The ring is very large and heavy, and seems to have a side profile of a Colonial-Era gentleman. (perhaps or some political or royal note?)
Anyone that has any input at all as to the age, function, identification, and if possible, value of such a ring, please reply or contact me via e-mail at:
[email protected]
I really need help with this find...I'm very lucky, and proud to have found it, but go crazy not knowing every time I look at the ring!?
Thanks for taking the time to check this out! George? :P

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Boy, something like that I would take to a local historical society or museum. They should know how to do the research!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Colonial jewelry is very hard to identify in most cases and requires an expert or historical society to validate. This ring could be something like a mason's ring only worn by members of that club during sometime in the past 200 years. Some private clubs like the "odd fellows' have such rings to tell another member they are 'in the club'.

Very nice find! Good luck on your hunt to identify time period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread