First real find

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
index.php

Been at it less than a week and finding enough scattered change to pay for my batteries and gas.? This mornings beach outing may have given me my first real find.? Looks to be a mens silver ring.? Stamped on the inside is 14K BULARD.? I have no idea to its value maybe someone here can give me a clue.?

It was high tide here this morning and almost opted to coin shoot around the pavilion and dry sand thinking any thing close to the water would be covered by a few feet until this evening at low tide.? Ring was found at surfs edge.? Thats the last time I will make any assumptions like that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Thanks for the reply Buck. I have shown it to a few people and the general consensus is for now is gold. I have a friend that has a lab for making false teeth and crowns. He may be able to tell me for sure, but wont be able to find out until Monday. Certainly would be cool if it was gold.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks to me to be a 14k gold wedding band.? For those who aren't familiar with the mark, '14k' means 14/24 purity by weight, or .583% pure gold.? (Pure gold would be 24k)? If your ring weighs 5 grams, you have about 2.9 grams of pure gold, regardless of what the alloying metal is.? Typically, white gold is made by mixing the pure gold with nickel, though some other metals might also be used.? Gold is usually marked '10k','417','14k','583',18k,'750' to indicate purity.? British gold can be 9k, and some Mexican gold can be 8k.? In order to be sold as 'solid gold' in the United States it has to be at least 10k because the density of 10k gold is higher than lead, and you can prove the value using the density test. Likewise in China and some other oriental countries, it has to be at least 21k or they don't think its pure enough. 24k is rarely used because it is too soft, and gets marred very easily.

Just because a band is marked '14k' does not mean it is real gold-- I have a brass ring stamped '14k' (see my previous postings).? You can confirm it by doing a density test (also in another post), or a jeweler could confirm it by using acid.? I also look at the quality of the pattern, and with a stamp like 'Bulard' or some other traceable company name (artcarved is fairly common) you likely have a gold ring.? I don't think anyone would put their company name on something that was brass, or someone would later come back to them and demand a refund!

Also, silver is typically marked '925' or 'sterling', meaning .925% pure silver by weight.

Congratulations on your find!

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Thanks for the info lab rat. I took the ring by a jeweler after work and was offered only scrap gold price of a 18 dollars. Figured it would be worth a bit more than that but oh well. I guess I will just clean it up and keep at as a trophy of my first decent find.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good choice-- the dealer would only polish it and turn it around, put a $200 price tag on it, offer a 10% discount to a potential buyer, and sell it for $180. My first nice diamond ring got me an offer of $300. (The guy was drooling when he made the offer! :lol:) I know for a fact that the original buyer paid at least $800 for it. And I still like to wear it on occaision.

You couldn't buy that ring you found for $18.

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
I figured something was a bit out of whack with an offer like 18 dollars. Surfing around the jewelery sites on the net and a 8mm white gold 14K ring with simple carveing like the one I found average around 200 bucks just like you said.

Bought some cleaner today and it shined up nicely and fits just fine on my pinky finger. Thanks again Lab.

B

blimey

another bulard band found

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I also just found a bulard wedding band. It was 4 inches below the (frozen) grass at a picinic area. This was the only thread that hit on a search for "bulard". Thanks to the poster near the top of this thread for the history. Is it a safe guess that this is solid gold? It is fairly heavy. It is quite a bit worn around the edges - does that detract from the value? Any guesstimates on value? Thanks.

Attachments

• bulard.jpg
    bulard.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 438
J

Jim Cal

Beautiful ring and great pictures! Don't ever sell any of you finds to a jeweler because they always want to pay for just scrap content. I found an antique ring and a jeweler wanted to pay scrap only to find out later it was worth several hundred dollars as an antique. Where there is one there are more! Jim Cal

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. Another option is to save all the rings you find, then when you have enough have them melted and something special made out of them. ;)

May 4, 2012
Found this last week at new symrna beach in Florida. First find and this is the only thing that came up when I searched Bulard.

Attachments

• image-200015015.jpg
    image-200015015.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 128

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread