finding trash piles

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually by a deserted piece of land with mounds everwhere. That would be considered a old trash dump. Most likely these deserted pieces of land are on private property seek permission if you find one.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the old farm land around here has trash piles out in the woods. It seems like they would take the trash out to the woods and dump it off. I have found old cans and old glass ware in these piles.....Matt

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
A lot of times the trash was dumped away from the houses and in a swail, dip or ravine. Like they say, follow the trail of broken glass and iron and you'll usually find the dump.

silverfox41

Greenie
Jul 8, 2009
if you are in the woods look for a circle of rocks, or where people put the rocks into a pile they would do this as to clear the way to dig a hole or a pit so they could bury there trash. some of these dumps have been used for generation's before they are buried.i have dug some old dumps and found things from the 1960's on the top layer and at the bottom layer get things from the 1800's.i have found many a dump this way.have fun happy hunting. "god bless"
ben.

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello, I love dump hunting! I used to just look for bottles, but I have since learned that these dumps contain so much more! Buy a nice three prong garden rake . They have long handled ones and get a short handled one. When you find a nice dump and get permission, start at one end and begin your search. Set aside your easy first finds and put the broken stuff behind you. start digging down with your rake and keep you eyes open for anything old. you will find buttons, toys, keys, iron objects, dog license tags and many different neat artifacts. once you have reached the bottom of that area, the patience needs to kick in. Also get Good gloves, a pad or some knee pads to kneal with as broken glass tends to poke through the dirt and stab at your knees! Start with your hand rake and scrape the walls of the hole you dug and watch for items that drop in. You may even want to make some kind of dirt sifter to get the smaller items. You will be amazed how your eyes will tune into the green patina of copper and brass items that fall into the dark ground. Also your eyes will pick out items just because they are not irregular in shape. In other words they are square items or round or triangular and they just stand out. I have also found old coins too, mostly wheat pennies, but also mercury dimes and a 1948 Roosevelt dime last week! I am sorry to ramble on, but I look forward to dump hunting as much as metal detecting! Just be careful of the broken glass and sharp objects. Carry a spray thing of neosporen too as cuts are real possible. One final thing, make sure your tetnus shot is up to date. Take care and have fun :icon_thumright:

riverdolphin

Jul 5, 2009
First, find out where an old house is or used to be and get permission. Then I take a metal gig and probe over the propery listening for the sound of the metal on glass or other metal. I've hit a many of brick or rock and thought I had found glass. Also, try not to gig with too much pressure or you may break a bottle or other artifact. I just use the gig to help me locate the trash pile and then I use a spade, shovel, or rake depending on what type of soil I'm digging in. I look for trash piles usually behind the home site, on the edge of the property, and in or near a ditch. I also look for cisterns since some are known to hold bottles and other articles. If you know what the house looked like, if it had a porch, how many, and where - you can find all kind of things there also. People would sometimes throw things under there porches. Gigging is tiring but if you are looking for bottles, its one of the best ways I know how to find them. Hope this helps!
LOL!!!

PS. I know I'm a new member here, but I have found many trash piles this way.
GoodLuck! :icon_thumleft:

Likely Guy

The first layer of a trash pile is usually tin cans.

On the last hunt we had 6 guys and 5 dogs roaming the bush. With 32 feet on the ground, if there is a trash pile, someone will soon hear the tell-tale 'crunch' of a tin can underfoot.

Sorry that it's not the most practical method, but it sure does work.

By the way, welcome to T'Net KIG877.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
pganjon said:
Hello, I love dump hunting! I used to just look for bottles, but I have since learned that these dumps contain so much more! Buy a nice three prong garden rake . They have long handled ones and get a short handled one. When you find a nice dump and get permission, start at one end and begin your search. Set aside your easy first finds and put the broken stuff behind you. start digging down with your rake and keep you eyes open for anything old. you will find buttons, toys, keys, iron objects, dog license tags and many different neat artifacts. once you have reached the bottom of that area, the patience needs to kick in. Also get Good gloves, a pad or some knee pads to kneal with as broken glass tends to poke through the dirt and stab at your knees! Start with your hand rake and scrape the walls of the hole you dug and watch for items that drop in. You may even want to make some kind of dirt sifter to get the smaller items. You will be amazed how your eyes will tune into the green patina of copper and brass items that fall into the dark ground. Also your eyes will pick out items just because they are not irregular in shape. In other words they are square items or round or triangular and they just stand out. I have also found old coins too, mostly wheat pennies, but also mercury dimes and a 1948 Roosevelt dime last week! I am sorry to ramble on, but I look forward to dump hunting as much as metal detecting! Just be careful of the broken glass and sharp objects. Carry a spray thing of neosporen too as cuts are real possible. One final thing, make sure your tetnus shot is up to date. Take care and have fun :icon_thumright:

Great advice! Yes and don't be stupid like me and grab at a broken bottle with bare hands. I wasn't diggin for one minute once and sliced my finger open. Grabbed a towel and bled like a pig for 30 minutes! Take the gloves and Neosporin like Pganjon says! Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions