Honeymoon treasure hunt

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II
I am a lucky man. I got married to my best treasure yet on the 27th of June. We went to Illinois to visit family for our honeymoon. We both have children so they went with us.
Have any of you treasurehunted on your honeymoon? Well, I did and she joined me. What a woman.
I have been hunting my mom n dads property for 2 summers now, and keep finding odd things. This hunt was no different.
He gave me a whites eagle II that he bought at a yard sale for 60 bucks. I still haven't figured out all of its features but in easy mode it finds allot. His property was a farm at one time. I have found alto of makeup from the 40's. A bicycle license tag dated 1913, bolts, nails, screws, wire, etc...................
I got a signal, bout 4" deep that was all over the scale. I couldn't determine what it was. VDI read from 5-90 over a 2' area. I had to dig it, after asking him if he minded a gigantic hole in his yard.
The excavation begins. It took some doing but we(My new bride n I) but we pulled it out of the ground.
Stats: 19.5" in Dia. 2.5" thick, 3.5" including the hump in the middle of one side. weight=52LBS. the bottom had a 1/4" thick backing on it(partial). Everyone took a guess as to what it could be; steppingstone, well or tank cover, prehistoric wheel. the later was my favorite.
there was nothing under it. I dug down another 2 feet, nothing but dirt, we even sifted.
I have some more pictures I could share, just PM me n I'll get them to ya. I would love to know what this thing is.
HH,
Yucon

Attachments

• our first family vacation (honeymoon) 041 (2).jpg
    our first family vacation (honeymoon) 041 (2).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 847
  • our first family vacation (honeymoon) 042 (2).jpg
    our first family vacation (honeymoon) 042 (2).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 839
  • our first family vacation (honeymoon) 043 (2).jpg
    our first family vacation (honeymoon) 043 (2).jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 831
  • our first family vacation (honeymoon) 045 (2).jpg
    our first family vacation (honeymoon) 045 (2).jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 825
  • our first family vacation (honeymoon) 057 (2).jpg
    our first family vacation (honeymoon) 057 (2).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 799
  • our first family vacation (honeymoon) 048 (2).jpg
    our first family vacation (honeymoon) 048 (2).jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 827
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your wedding.....and finding a bride that wants to try to understand your passion for hunting. That is 99% of the battle......the other 1 % being when she becomes as addicted to THing as you, and forgets dinner while in the backyard
with her metal detector. :laughing9:
Can't help you with what you have dug. Try cleaning all the dirt, etc off it, see if there is any writing that might help i.d. it.
Too bad it wasn't the top of something.....full of old coins. ::)
Again, best of God's grace to you and your wife. Hikeinmts.....in S. Korea

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the wedding. I got married 2 1/2 years ago and brought my detector on the honeymoon. I found a few gold rings.

My wife does not go treasure hunting with me but she is very supportive.

Good luck with the marriage and future hunts.
NJ

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Looks like a grinding wheel for an axe. I think once you clean it off you'll see it's white like a whetstone. Cool find if it is.

And best wishes on your marriage. Looks like you got a keeper if she's willing to get dirty with you!

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
Grats on the hitchin...

Only treasure hunting my wife does is ask the question "Did you find me anything good?" as I return home from the beach.

As far as this stone thingy. It looks like it is made of concrete, probably has wire mesh inside that set your detector off. If I were to guess being that it came from an old farm, It may be a stepping stone as you have already stated. It may be a tractor or a plow weight. Or it could also be pissing rock. A lot of people in the old days had a rock outside the back door that was designated as the pissing rock, more of a traditional thing rather than a formal thing. I would think that 52 pounds was too heavy for a well or sistern cover. Other than that I don't know.

Have you tried to clean it up at all?

HH
FSD

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Looks like a lid off an old concrete septic tank..........

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Id guess a lid off a grease trap That was like a small septic tank from the Kitchen. Is that writting on it?

OP
OP
Yucon Cornelius

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II
Re: Honeymoon treasure hunt*update*

TEXAN Connection said:
Id guess a lid off a grease trap That was like a small septic tank from the Kitchen. Is that writting on it?
52 lbs is one massive lid i would think. I found nothing within 2 feet underneeth it. we dug n sifted a 3ft dai by 2-3ft deep hole m sifted all of it.
the semi smooth back had a 1/4" thick material on it. the front had what looked like a 1" raised hub (most was missing)
Attached is a cleaaned up pic

Attachments

• our first family vacation (honeymoon) 054 (2).jpg
    our first family vacation (honeymoon) 054 (2).jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 377

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I saw the better picture...I stand corrected. Thought there was a hole in the center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread