Yard Sale Find, Ambrotype

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Yesterday I went to an indoor yard sale in Dalton, Ga and found this ambrotype. The lady said she had no idea what kind of picture it was or who it was. She said it was in a box that her friend got at an estate sale. The scan by no means does this picture justice. It has much much clearer details in person. The baby has a freaked out look on its face, I imagine scared by the camera. The lady has a ring on two fingers on the hand around the baby. It looks almost like a drop of gold on the rings as well as in the center of the ribbon around her neck. I believe her belt has a two piece buckle and the sleves of her dress appear to have small tassle like things at her hand. Her hair is also parted in the middle. I at first thought that she may be wearing a mourning dress but I honestly don't know much about lady's wear. The case shows age but is in decent shape compared to some I've seen online. Anything yall could tell me to help me age would be geatly aprreciated. Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Digginnit

Apr 26, 2008
I have one of those of my great, great?, grandfather. If you gently pop the picture out of the holder the name may be written on the back.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice find. I am both fascinated and creeped out by those old photos of people, where their eyes have that devoid, possessed-kind of appearance. Especially on the babies. And also the fact that the people in the photos almost never smiled. Kind of chilling in a way!

Joe

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as dating goes....Ambrotypes were used from the late 1850s to the mid to late 1860s.
The process wasnt used all that long so its age is probably somewhere in that window, I'd guess.

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
One reason they didn't smile in photos back then was that the exposure took several minutes. It's hard to hold a smile for that long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread