spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How large is this park, and do you have any pictures of it? With a park that old there is sure to be other hidden treasures. Good luck on that spot.

PAdigs

Nov 22, 2005
S.E. PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad at all! Most of the public parks I have been to seemed to be hunted out at least of anything old.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of people skip nickel signals, I have found 5 V's this year others have passed up, doesn't hurt my feelings!
congrats on a great find

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job.

Keep in mind that no place is ever huntined out. There is one old park I hunt at that seems like all the newer silver has been cleared out. I rarely find any silver Washington Quarters or silver Rosies. The old stuff is definately there...over the years I've found coins from the 1600s-present. The park was established in 1895 but there were things there prior to the park.

Not that you asked for any advice but here are a few things I've learned from hunting old parks.

1. Parks change over time. Look at the wooded areas and if the park is 100 years old but the trees look to be only 50 years old then that area was most likely fields back in the day. Where people hang out today may not be where they did 100 years ago. Look for old pictures of gathering at the park.

2. If you are hunting a grassy area and the quality of grass changes it may indicate that fill was brought in. Don't spend too much time in the fill area unless you are looking for modern clad or jewelery. One field I hunt the grass is spotty with many bear spots then you cross into an beautiful green lush lawn. I never find old stuff in the nice green lawn but the crappy area turned up the Spanish Cob in my avatar.

3. If you plan on many trips back to the same park then dig everything and clean out the trash. It may be masking deep targets.

4. If you find an old coin then focus on that area a little harder. Overlap coil swings and search from different angles. I have my park divided into areas and I can tell you what era coins I expect to find in each area depending on what timeframe that area of the park was popular to use.

5. After you hunted the park many times and it seems like the targets are getting fewer and fewer then change the coil on your machine to a smaller or larger one then start all over. You will be amazed on how a different coil will change your machine and help find coins that you missed before.

Good luck
NJ

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Nice job.

Keep in mind that no place is ever huntined out. There is one old park I hunt at that seems like all the newer silver has been cleared out. I rarely find any silver Washington Quarters or silver Rosies. The old stuff is definately there...over the years I've found coins from the 1600s-present. The park was established in 1895 but there were things there prior to the park.

Not that you asked for any advice but here are a few things I've learned from hunting old parks.

1. Parks change over time. Look at the wooded areas and if the park is 100 years old but the trees look to be only 50 years old then that area was most likely fields back in the day. Where people hang out today may not be where they did 100 years ago. Look for old pictures of gathering at the park.

2. If you are hunting a grassy area and the quality of grass changes it may indicate that fill was brought in. Don't spend too much time in the fill area unless you are looking for modern clad or jewelery. One field I hunt the grass is spotty with many bear spots then you cross into an beautiful green lush lawn. I never find old stuff in the nice green lawn but the crappy area turned up the Spanish Cob in my avatar.

3. If you plan on many trips back to the same park then dig everything and clean out the trash. It may be masking deep targets.

4. If you find an old coin then focus on that area a little harder. Overlap coil swings and search from different angles. I have my park divided into areas and I can tell you what era coins I expect to find in each area depending on what timeframe that area of the park was popular to use.

5. After you hunted the park many times and it seems like the targets are getting fewer and fewer then change the coil on your machine to a smaller or larger one then start all over. You will be amazed on how a different coil will change your machine and help find coins that you missed before.

Good luck
NJ
Great advice. Thanks for taking the time to write. While all of the suggestions are great, I was particularly intrigued by #5, where you recommend switching coils to find coins that were previously missed. I've never owned anything but the stock 9.5" coil on my M6, and I have a few older sites that I've pretty well searched out with the stock coil. Maybe its time to drop a few bucks and pick up another coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread