Mini Cache From The Woods 38 Mercury & Roosevelt Silver Dimes!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Mini Cache From The Woods 38 Mercury & Roosevelt Silver Dimes!

Okay, so here's the story: This afternoon I'm in a new section of woods that I never hunted before, about a half mile away from where I found the 1807 Spanish One Reale on July 10th. As usual, I'm walking a trail with my mental metal detecting radar turned up high looking for a spot off the trail that has a nice old look and feel to it. My first time leaving the trail and entering the woods, turned out to be a no go, since I was hitting shallow overload junk that appeared to be a mid 20th century dumping ground. So I get back on the trail heading west. I sort of have a destination in mind, since I looked at this area on satellite before leaving the store. Anyway, about five minutes down the trail, I came to a fork (and I took it like Yogi Berra suggests), sorry I just had to get that Yogi reference in. After thinking for about a minute about which fork to take, I decided to take neither fork, and head up an incline that split the forks and which appeared to have some decent looking clear and level ground at the top. I like large cleared areas at tops of hills, since I figure people in the past might have lingered there. So I start hunting the area, and after a short time, I get a good penny/dime reading at a shallow depth of maybe 2 or 3 inches. Now at this point, I had no reason to get excited, since I'm looking for deeper 19th century and colonial coins and artifacts, and I figured this coin was probably going to be a clad dime. I cut a plug, pulled out some dirt, and was surprised to come up with a 1924 Mercury Dime. Now at this point I can't remember exactly what happened next, but I think when I was pinpointing the '24 Merc, I was noticing other penny/dime signals really close by. So after recovering the Merc, I scanned the hole and perimeter and came up when another penny/dime signal which turned out to be a Roosevelt Dime. I scanned the hole again, and found another Roosevelt dime. Scanned again, another silver dime. Repeat the process, another dime, and everytime I took a coin out of the hole and rescaned the hole, I got another signal, or multiple signals space about a foot apart. At this point I had six silver dimes, and I took a quick break to take a drink of water and to secure the dimes in my wallet (I don't carry a pouch). Getting back to the hole, I am continuing to get penny/dime signals in the hole and also on the perimeter of the hole. So since they were slightly scattered and not concentrated in a group, I keep widening the hole, by taking a few inches off the top of the edges, when those widening plugs proved to be devoid of signals, I would then go in the now wider hole, and continue to get more penny/dime signals. Now at this point I probably have about 15 dimes, and I starting to think that somebody probably dropped a roll of 50 dimes. After about a half an hour, I had extracted about 33 or 34 dimes from this one hole. Then I had to go work on another signal (that I had discovered during the first excavation) that was four size 8 sneaker lengths away (I measured the distance) From that second hole I pulled another 4 or 5 dimes. Sorry, for the long story, but it was a mighty long and enjoyable dig. Now the weird part, why and how were they dropped? After I stopped getting signals, I still spent another half hour digging the hole wider and deeper, looking for what I thought would be the missing 12 dimes to complete the roll. There was no remnants of a leather pouch or wallet in the hole, nor any remains of a jar or container. The dimes in the main hole seemed to range in depth from 2 or 3 inches to maybe 5 or six inches deep (though I was digging deep and piling dirt on the side of the hole and recovering the dimes from the piles, so I can't say exactly what the maximum depth was. Anyway, I've gone on really long so here's the dates of the 38 dimes:

1924 (2)
1938 (2)
1940 (2)
1941 (4)
1942 (5)
1944 (3)
1945 (2)
1946 (5)
1947 (5)

Attachments

• dimes.jpg
    dimes.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,236
  • dimes2.jpg
    dimes2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • dimes3.jpg
    dimes3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • dimes4.jpg
    dimes4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,234
  • dimes5.jpg
    dimes5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,236
Upvote 0

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
Re: Mini Cache From The Woods 38 Mercury & Roosevelt Silver Dimes!

man i bet that made you happy. congrats. willy.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

50's Poker Game???

Excellent find,
Nova Treasure

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

That was a nice surprise!

Congrats!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

serious way to kick up your silver totals, awesome find!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mini Cache? Heck no, that is one hell of a find and great work at recovering all those dimes. From your story it sounds like your machine is an ace 250. I am correct on that? Also, do you need a permit to MD on LI, as is needed to detect in NYC? I sometimes make sales calls on LI, and the next time I will pack my metal detector if no permit is needed. Great pics too, all that silver :notworthy:

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Congratulations!!!
If that 1926 is an S mint, you have a "scarce" date there.
I would love to see that much silver coming out of the ground!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find. That would have been exciting to have found all of those. I'd go back and search the area for more ???

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome find! congrats on a sweet score :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up. best of luck and HH

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, you had the kind of day we all dream about. WTG! :icon_thumleft:

Keep digging!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TOTALLY AWESOME MINI CACHE , WTG!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!!!! :headbang: GREAT RECOVERY !!!! WHAT A PILE OF MERCS,,,, :o

THANKS FOR THE POST.

ART

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

spartacus53 said:
Mini Cache? Heck no, that is one hell of a find and great work at recovering all those dimes. From your story it sounds like your machine is an ace 250. I am correct on that? Also, do you need a permit to MD on LI, as is needed to detect in NYC? I sometimes make sales calls on LI, and the next time I will pack my metal detector if no permit is needed. Great pics too, all that silver :notworthy:

I use a White's MXT. No permit needed for the woods I hunt.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

crazyjarhead said:
Nice find. That would have been exciting to have found all of those. I'd go back and search the area for more ???

These woods are fairly large so they should keep me busy for a while, as long as the finds keep coming.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a great story Fish, I enjoyed reading it. What a thrill to dig all those dimes, you must have been pumped, and adrenilin in high gear. Congrats on a great discovery.................Rich

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow nice haul :o

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is sure one nice pile of dimes. I would like to find half that many....Matt

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

tymcmurray said:
Congratulations!!!
If that 1926 is an S mint, you have a "scarce" date there.
I would love to see that much silver coming out of the ground!

No mint mark. Darn it!

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man congrats ieghter you live in primo land or you hit the lottery . :wav: :wav: :occasion13: :wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread