Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to detect the old house demo site this morning but it was too cold for me!? 29 degrees with 30 mph wind, chill factor near zero!? Just walked across the lot kicking clumps and found a blue clay marble, part of some kind of gear a clad penny and what appears to be an old gas shut off valve. Will go back when it warms up!? Monty

t the photo to load so use your imagination! ?
PS.? ?Went next door to another vacant lot and turned on my detector and just got a steady roar, then remembered this lot use to be a scrap metal yard! Looks like they just buried a lot of the small scrap they couldn't haul off!? On digging down I just found layers of quarter size to 6"X8" sheets of scrap metal!?I looked up and was also standing under 4 high voltage highline wires and a 60' electrical advertising sign! Talk about playing havoc with a detector!.
Pics at last?

Attachments

• DSC00490.JPG
    DSC00490.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 465
Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

Re: Old House Demo Site

If the blue marble is a clay Bennington one, they date from 1870's to the 1930's. Brass is also a good sign, brass was used a lot in the old days. Keep us posted.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know the feeling on old demo sites, there is one here on orchard Park and now that the snow is gone with the 65 degree warm up the problem is the massive MUD..... You try to walk in it forget it....Now have to wait for the ground to freeze.....Keep on digging.......John

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

I don't blame ya Monty,,, I would probably wait until aleast some warmer weather comes your way...
My first year I was eager to get out there and grab it all, but I broke two knives last year dig'n in the frozen ground, costing me around $60 big ones... That did away with my clad profit for the year, and I like to have froze my *&^% off...
Cool find on the marble, WTG!!! I have yet to find any other than some newer Cat eyes, old but not old enough...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Free two I don't know anything about marbles, just recognize it as a clay marble as opposed to the glass type.? It's blue mostly with smokey white in it.?
We haven't had rain in over 50 days, would love to slog in some mud! Monty

R

rvbvetter

I'd like to say , Darn the cold, Full speed ahead. While I sit here nice and warm. But I know how it is. Along with everything else, the hands get so cold. The fingers run amuck and stop working as a team. Hope it warms so you can get out there soon. HH

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My cheeks were stinging, my hands were numb and I was blowing snot bubbles! That's too much! Monty

Z

ZumbroKid

Monty said:
My cheeks were stinging, my hands were numb and I was blowing snot bubbles!? That's too much!? Monty
You got to blow those bubbles fast when it's cold. They have a tendency to freeze to ones face. Get back out there and post some pictures of this for us. Also be careful you do not touch any cold metal like a zipper! ;)

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only zipper I will touch will be my own! Excellent! Monty

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool marble Jim,

can't wait to see what else you find there!

HH

Lonewolfe

R

rvbvetter

uh ? Monty

Can I borrow your glasses? I seem to have misplaced mine again.

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Maybe some good luck will come your way and warm up a bit. I passed a house just yesterday and they were tearing it down with a back hoe. It used to be a business in a house where a Lady did palm readings. I wish I could have asked her first if there was anything there LOL, HH Art...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It warmed up a bit today so I went back for about an hour. Found a 1958 wheatie and a 1959 Rosie, two glass marbles and some more gears. This particular house must have burned. As I dug down I could smell the odor of burned wood and I noticed a lot of broken window glass and melted bottles, aluminum cans, etc. I thought maybe I had gotten into an old incenerator but it's too big for that, covering almost the whole lot. I was using my ACE and the 4 1/2" coil and there still was so much trash it was hard to know where to dig. I dug a ton of trash besides the few items I kept. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
congrats on the silver jim! sounds like a good day in my book! way to go!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jim, here's a pic of some Benningtons. Some are brown and some are blue. When the clay is glazed and fired, I think some get a bit close or touching each other-i.e. the round spots that show up. Also I've seen them with a darker glaze such as a royal blue. There's also some fancy ones out there.

Attachments

• Bennington2k.jpg
    Bennington2k.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 371

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Monty, I'll take clay marbles and silver any day. Nice finds! I know what you mean on the cold day's. If you read my last post in bad day, good day detecting in NW Ohio, I said it was getting down right cold here in Ohio. But dog gone it I just didn't have the right clothes on. Next time I'll have on my insulated coveralls on and then look out. When I bend down to dig a target I probably won't be able to get back up with all those darn clothes on ha ha.

I just love finding clay marbles in a bean field, now thats watching the ground and picking up everything. lol

HH (ringfinder)

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I found looks like the ones on the right side of the photo but with just a little more blue. It does have a round spot on it. I figured that was the side that was down when it was fired. Funny thing, I couldn't decide if it was a marble or a gum ball when I first found it so....I tasted it! Just wiped it off and popped it into my mouth and rolled it around. Then I got to thinking....There's no telling where that thing has been. First thing I did when I got home was rinse my mouth out! Monty

Z

ZumbroKid

Monty, that reminds me of the little boy who went to the chicken house to get the eggs for his grandma. He dropped his chewing gum and thought he found it three times. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions