Calico Jack 4: The Legend of Washingtons Lost Silver

Calico Jack

Sep 20, 2005
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Calico Jack 4: The Legend of Washington's Lost Silver

Part 4 in the unfortunate saga of Calico Jack, treasure hunter of limited talent.

It was early in my shift on Monday. Too early to take my lunch break, but that never stopped me before, and it wouldn't stop me this time. I was hungry, and Del Taco would hit the spot. I made an unauthorized trip to the drive thru, in the hope of grabbing a couple of cheeseburgers before a slew of meetings and reports. I ordered at the box, and drove to the window. The girl handed me my receipt. My order number was the same as my badge number! What luck! She then handed me my change. It didn't sound right. I looked through it and found an absolutely beautiful 1964 silver quarter. A lucky day indeed! I then found a 1965 quarter in the parking lot. Nice, but not silver. Would my luck continue? I resolved to take out the ACE the following morning and see.

I woke up late. Not a good start. I got coffee, filled up the tank with gas, and set about on my way to my favorite park to hit the wood chips. After searching...and searching...and searching...I finally got a signal. Silver, 6" down. Under the woodchips then. A hopeful sign. Could be old. I expertly unsheathed my Gator and plunged it into the earth. A single turn of the Gator pulled up well over 6" of woodchips. I had no idea the chips were that deep. I used the handy-dandy pinpointer feature of the ACE, and it directed me to a twisted piece of metal I would generally have ignored. But the ACE insisted that the metal was silver. I logically determined that this metal was an expended slug from a silver bullet, fired either by the Lone Ranger, or perhaps a visiting werewolf hunter. I put it in my bag, and continued.

The park didn't even give me clad. My next, and final find was the last straw. The ACE said nickel, 4" down. Right under a tree, a good place to lose coins. I dug, and dug, and saw a dull glint. Upon closer examination, I had found a large, screw-on type bottle cap. I cleaned off the dirt, and was surprised to see that the bottle cap read "BIG MOUTH." I am not one to be insulted by bottle caps, regardless of accuracy of the remark. I put it in the bag until I figure out how to wreak my vengeance on the insolent cap.

So, the luck didn't hold. Tomorrow's another day.

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Re: Calico Jack 4: The Legend of Washington's Lost Silver

? ? ? You never know.? Seeing you dig a silver bullet, and along with a silver quarter in your pocket, might have scared away any werewolfs lurking nearby.? Better luck next time.? ? ? ?HH

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Somethimes it seems like all the trash we dig is telling us something. I dug a cap one time that said, not a winner.

I thinks that's before they changed to play again.

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Calico, you make finding a screw cap sound interesting, like a Mickey Spillane novel. I'm waiting for you to write "She could have walked into any woodchip playground, but she had to walk into mine." ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Calico Jack said:
I resolved to take out the ACE the following morning and see.

Here's where you went wrong Jack.....you should have just skipped the meetings and reports and went hunting right then! You know all that other stuff should be able to wait! ;D

Nana :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread