Found in an old sidewalk tear out

MT DFX

Greenie
Jun 15, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelabs E-Trac
My wife and I were driving the grandkids across town to a local lake in Kalispell, MT when I spotted some sidewalk removal in progress in front of an old school in an old part of town. These sidewalks went in back in the 1920's for the most part and I jump on them when they are being torn up if I can find them. I could not tell from driving by if they had already laid down the gravel bed, but I made a mental note to get back to check it out as soon as I had some time. As it worked out, I got back late that same evening and the dirt under the sidewalk still had not been removed. I slowly hunted about 50 feet of old dirt, and in only about an hour I had found two 1900 Barber dimes and a 1905 IH penny (badly corroded), plus a small pearl handled picket knife and what I believe to be a decorative end to a hat pin. Unfortunately, the dirt under this section of sidewalk had been consistently wet for many years and there was a lot of pitting on the penny and on both dimes.
On Monday evening I went back over there to see if they had torn up any more, and sure enough they had gone the rest of the way down the block. I was able to spend another 45 minutes and only found one coin, but it was a keeeper. It was an 1896-S Barber quarter. It came out shiny and not pitted as the others had been. Evidently it had not been wet for a hundred years like the others. This one brought out the happy-dance as it was a first for me for this coin type, and a semi-key date besides. Thanks for looking.

IMGP0972.jpg

IMGP0981.jpg

IMGP0992-1.jpg

IMGP0993.jpg

IMGP0997.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MT DFX

Greenie
Jun 15, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Not sure why the pictures did not show up. They were there on the preview????

IMGP0972.jpg

IMGP0981.jpg[img]
http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/825.225514.28072009.21235.6a64fi/IMGP0992-1.jpg[/img]
IMGP0993.jpg

IMGP0997.jpg

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Oh boy, would I love to see a picture of that Barber Quarter. I sure hope it's in real good shape.

Congrats on a super great find.

you just got to love them sidewalk tear outs.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a great day and good finds. Maybe the pictures didn't show up because you need to re-size them. You can always use Lunapic.com for FREE service.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Try posting the pics again! I would love to see what you found. I love sidewalk tearup stories. Congrats to you! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
M

MT DFX

Greenie
Jun 15, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Sorry about the confusion on my mint mark for the quarter. I meant to say 1896-O. I got it confused when looking at the pictures of my other great find of a 1901-S Barber dime.

IMGP0757.jpg

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and a sharp eye to get them! :icon_thumright: By the way, your pictures showed all 3 times on my computer. :dontknow:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on those sidewalk finds. I bet you can't wait for them to rip up some additional streets.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sweet finds there. :thumbsup: Congrats on all but I love the quarter.

tndigger

Mar 11, 2009
tn
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2
:icon_pirat:
I bet your glad you were driving by or they would have been concreted over for another 80 yrs.
good job!

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
nice finds!!
i need to find some sidewalk tear up projects around my house :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread