I finally found one!

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
I finally found one!

Today was the day I finally found the piece I've been looking for long and hard, in sweltering summer heat and frigid cold winters. There were many variables in finding it today and everythingl fell into place for today to be a end to my quest.
It all started with being assigned to the Rifle Range today at Stone Bay which is located down Hwy 17 towards Rocky Point and Castle Hayne and not too far from Richlands and Belgrade. I was up at 0400 and on my motorcycle and headed down the Hwy at 0445. I threw in my helmet in case for some reason it was a quick range, since after all today is Friday and the mines are open in Eastern Carolina!

After doin some shooting with the other couple hunnerd Jarheads, we wrapped it up. I pondered what I should do since it was god-almighty swealtering hot, and I was dripping from head to toe. But I figured, “what the hell, I'm dirty smelly and feel lucky” and filled up my 48 ouncer with water and headed to the mine.

After checking in at the mine and asking if anyone else was poking around, the manger said “Are you kidding! If your lucky maybe you'll get some rain in there to cool you off.” I left after he wished me lucky in finding something good and rode the bike down the gravel rode and past all the trucks moving thru the pit. I thought to myself that I'd only be able to last a couple of hours at most in this burning rotisserie of fossil hunting misery.

I headed to a area that looked like it was some new work and wandered around when I suddenly spied a large Ricky's enamel pasted in the dirt of the crushed roadway. Sure'nuff after prying her out she would've be a beauty if she was complete but, they never are....

I was thinking these types of thoughts knowing that somewhere in here there must be a complete money making, picture taking, I'm not faking, complete Big Boy Aooowricckcuuueliiiiitetisssss. I looked down on the ground and there it was looking up from the dirt.
DSC00703.JPG
I had to catch myself from tinkling in my pants, then I pulled my Gerber out and started to dig away the dirt around the blade of the tooth. As the Gerber kept going down and I kept seeing perfect blade I gently pulled and in a nanosecond could see that this was finally the one that I've been looking for these past three years! After 10's of millions of years this perfect black with gray striped mottled enamel birthed in just shy of 4inches!

I almost called it a day right there but that's not me, so I pulled this odd-ball tooth out a little while later, it's fragile as can be and I've haven't noticed around on the boards anyone know what it is?
DSC00699.JPG
“When its boiling summertime, it's time to hit the mine!”
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Upvote 1

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Re: I finally found one!

Great job on the Megalodon tooth. I read the novel " Meg" a while back and I love the opening sequence where it starts in the Jurassic era and a Tyrannosaurus chases a small dino into the surf and catches it and begins to dine when all of a sudden a huge Meg shark lunges and makes a meal of good ole T Rex. It's a great book and comes highly recommended. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Re: I finally found one!

Just a cleaned up picture update. A few posters wanted a better look. I've gone back to the mine a few times since but have not been lucky like before. But were there was one there is always another! I'm really looking for another one of the archeochote (below) as I've found out that its a exceptionally rare tooth from the first sea mammal the Basilosaurus ("King Lizard") is a genus of cetacean that lived from 40 to 34 million years ago. http://www.okinawarelics.com
DSC00713.JPG
DSC00708.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread