I finally found one!

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
I finally found one!

Today was the day I finally found the piece I've been looking for long and hard, in sweltering summer heat and frigid cold winters. There were many variables in finding it today and everythingl fell into place for today to be a end to my quest.
It all started with being assigned to the Rifle Range today at Stone Bay which is located down Hwy 17 towards Rocky Point and Castle Hayne and not too far from Richlands and Belgrade. I was up at 0400 and on my motorcycle and headed down the Hwy at 0445. I threw in my helmet in case for some reason it was a quick range, since after all today is Friday and the mines are open in Eastern Carolina!

After doin some shooting with the other couple hunnerd Jarheads, we wrapped it up. I pondered what I should do since it was god-almighty swealtering hot, and I was dripping from head to toe. But I figured, “what the hell, I'm dirty smelly and feel lucky” and filled up my 48 ouncer with water and headed to the mine.

After checking in at the mine and asking if anyone else was poking around, the manger said “Are you kidding! If your lucky maybe you'll get some rain in there to cool you off.” I left after he wished me lucky in finding something good and rode the bike down the gravel rode and past all the trucks moving thru the pit. I thought to myself that I'd only be able to last a couple of hours at most in this burning rotisserie of fossil hunting misery.

I headed to a area that looked like it was some new work and wandered around when I suddenly spied a large Ricky's enamel pasted in the dirt of the crushed roadway. Sure'nuff after prying her out she would've be a beauty if she was complete but, they never are....

I was thinking these types of thoughts knowing that somewhere in here there must be a complete money making, picture taking, I'm not faking, complete Big Boy Aooowricckcuuueliiiiitetisssss. I looked down on the ground and there it was looking up from the dirt.
DSC00703.JPG
I had to catch myself from tinkling in my pants, then I pulled my Gerber out and started to dig away the dirt around the blade of the tooth. As the Gerber kept going down and I kept seeing perfect blade I gently pulled and in a nanosecond could see that this was finally the one that I've been looking for these past three years! After 10's of millions of years this perfect black with gray striped mottled enamel birthed in just shy of 4inches!

I almost called it a day right there but that's not me, so I pulled this odd-ball tooth out a little while later, it's fragile as can be and I've haven't noticed around on the boards anyone know what it is?
DSC00699.JPG
“When its boiling summertime, it's time to hit the mine!”
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Upvote 1

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Re: I finally found one!

Awesome. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Find of a lifetime. What else can I say. :headbang:

But don't let this be the end to your quest. There are more out there to be found.

Very nice hunt. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Randy

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Hey Wilkere,

That is one fine bit of dentition. :notworthy: I mean outstanding! :icon_thumleft:

Yes, Sir adapt and overcome....Semper Fi

BW

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I finally found one!

Wow, that sure would make my career. I have always wanted to find a Meg tooth. :headbang:

Kirk

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re:I finally found one!

extremely cool!!!!!!!!!!

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT

that's one big tooth
sweet find!

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Congrats on your find, I have found some but their about about 1000th of the size, good find my friend :headbang:

TommNJ

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice yes very nice....Matt

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Talk about having a Sweet Tooth, you sure have one, WTG, Cool,Congrats! :thumbsup:

Good luck,
HH.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: wtg congrats

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wondered what was at Castle Hayne besides that little flea market, a video store and
a barbecue buffet. Now I know. I was there a couple of weeks ago, I'm looking into
doing an auction at the flea market. Is there a phosphate mine near there or something?
I've been to Aurora and dug in a little dump near the mine, found a few vertebrae.
You did good,
Ramapirate

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow!!! Better than good in my opinion. That kind of find would make my year! Look at the detail near the edges. Dude - can you give us some idea of what that beauty is worth? Regardless of price, I'm voting banner find...

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

Congrats on making banner. And great timing too. It's shark week. :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job bud - congrats on making the banner!!! I wish I was into MD'ng and relic hunting when I was on Lejeune!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread