Spanish Gold!???

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I took a ride to a different beach in NC on Saturday and dug up a bunch of clad (7 or 8 dollars) which went to the gas fund. Then I dug up what i thought was the find of a lifetime. A Spanish Gold cob or coin. I was thrilled to find this piece. I thought I had found my best piece ever!. The obverse of the coin was pretty clean but the reverse had some salt and sand stuck to it so i put it in my cig pack and figured i'd clean it up when i got home to some fresh water. I learned last weekend not to get my hopes up too high after finding what i thought was a 5 - 6 ct diamond ring which turned out to be CZ. A closer inspection of the coin told me something wasn't right. The light reflecting off it at an angle gave a slight coppery color. Sure enough , when i got home and rinsed the salt and sand out of the detail, I saw the word "copy" in small letters stamped into it. Another huge disappointment ,,,but i enjoyed the thrill anyways and it's a nice find regardless.

NOTICE TO BEACH GOERS:
Impress your friends and other beach goers.
Wear the REAL and EXPENSIVE jewelry.
I'll be glad you did.
The emotional roller coaster and unnecessary heart attacks are killiing me.

Thanx for looking and HH y'all...(sorry bout the pics , i need a new camera)

Attachments

• DSC00062.JPG
    DSC00062.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC00058.JPG
    DSC00058.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 661
  • DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00060.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 648
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG You still had a great day in clad. Sooner or later, you may run across one of the real Spanish coins, they still seem to surface to this day after a big storm. I feel the same way about people wearing jewelry to the beach. One day while I was looking two ladies asked if I had found anything of value. I replied, "no, but feel free to leave your jewelry behind, I will be happy to recover it". :D

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: I agree we need more real not copy stuff lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread