2 center, barber qtr, 1 IH, token(token pics added), a bottle and a buckle.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Some finds from a local wooded area with a little history, I been there numerous times finding only shotgun shells, then the bottle one trip from "Hackettstown Bottling Works (NJ)", it's still has the metal stopper in it so I was able to detect it about 2" down. On another trip I found the 2 center (1864 a little worn) and about 30 feet away I found 3 wheats 1911,1918,191?, 2 V nickels 1901,1911, 1 IH 1907 and a 1908 D barber quarter, all these coins were found in a 5' x 5 ' area (a camp site ?). Another trip I found the buckle and buttons in the same hole ? The buckle says "Germany G.G.G and the buttons say "W & H PHIL". Today I went in the rain and found a token that says FINCK'S HOTEL w/ 30 in the middle. Thanks for looking.
I still have to research the token but any help on the buckle would be appreciated, like the "G.G.G" ?( I sure one G stands for Germany but 3 Gs ?)Thanks again in advance.

TommNJ

Attachments

• 7-09.JPG
    7-09.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 544
  • buckle buttons.JPG
    buckle buttons.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 545
  • hackettstown bottle.JPG
    hackettstown bottle.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 2 center, barber qtr, 1 IH, token, a bottle and a buckle.

Tom,

Those are some great finds! I have a feeling that the Finck's Hotel token may be a scarce or even a rare item. When I googled it, there were tokens from the hotel (in NYC perhaps?) listed in Sotheby's auctions. There were also some books publised as early as the 1860's listing such tokens as collectibles.

Happy Hunting!
Neil

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow great finds there. nice looking buckle.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome hunt for sure Tom! NJ definitely takes some work before finding the goodies. BTW, welcome to the "two cent club". Found mine a couple of weeks back. Here's what it looks like all cleaned up. Oh yeah, same year too...strange! Good hunting there buddy. I'm in Lyndhurst. Right near Giants Stadium. I have a regular hunting buddy from this forum. We go out every few days. If you're ever up for detecting, hit me up. Joe

Attachments

• DSCF0065.jpg
    DSCF0065.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF0065.jpg
    DSCF0065.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 376
OP
OP
TommNJ

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used

"Thanks for all your replies."

Neil thank you for the information on the token, I'll try to find out some more information on it. I really don't find nice old ones like I see here on TNET, so it was nice to dig one up, I do find the chucky cheese and batting cage ones though, I'll try to get a better pic of the token.

Joe, I'd be interested in getting out sometime, I work in Clifton off Rt3 and sometimes leave early to hit some areas around there (like the big mountain in Paterson or the parks/schools/etc.). Also your 2 cent piece is awesome, congrats !

Thanks again, Tom

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

I agree with the other poster... that hotel token may be quite good and date from 1850-1860 era. It appears to be listed in this 1863 book: "An Arrangement of Medals and Tokens, Struck in Honor of the Presidents of the United States, and of the Presidential Candidates..." by Alfred Satterlee

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ys...&resnum=7#v=onepage&q="finck's hotel"&f=false

Forget the 2 center, get us a pic of that token!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a great day. Congrats....Hogge :headbang:

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030

Nice finds Tom!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TommNJ

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used

Thanks again for your replies everyone and the information Neil & Nick, it's cool when you can actually read some history on your find !!!!

I "tried" to take some close ups of the token. The back is completely flat and it does look a little better than the pics.

Tom

Attachments

• finck\'s token size.JPG
    finck\'s token size.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 277
  • token.JPG
    token.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 253
  • token2.JPG
    token2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 265

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Your 2 cent is difficult to tell if it is a Large motto or a small motto. The value is possible$65 large motto or $700 small motto Hope you have the small motto. Great find either way that coin is in remarkable shape.

OP
OP
TommNJ

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies !!

cdltpx, thanks, I tried looking at the motto but it hard to tell right now, it needs a little cleaning and I'm afraid to touch it. I will carefully try some soap and water on it and hopefully be able to identify it soon.

skatergod6262 , I don't seem to get out much lately but been hunting some wooded areas locally. I'll hit the kiddy lots and schools for a quick fix now and then, the old school near me which I use to hit a lot put up a bunch of nice "No Tresspassing" signs all over, I keep telling myself to get some permission to some new spots, so that's what I really have to do.

Tom

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes! thats a great pile of coin. 2 cent coins are exciting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread