gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0

bdbullets

Jun 15, 2008
Davenport Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White DFX
I was with Kim when he found this purse. I was about 10 feet away from him and he held the purse up and told me he found what looked like a cow bell only made out of leather. I started working that way then he hollered it was some kind of purse and there was something in it. I went over and it was packed full with dirt with a couple of things sticking out of the dirt.
He carries bottles of water in his rig and he had a stainless steel bowl so we started washing the dirt out into the bowl. When I pulled out the 5 dollar gold coin he really started shaking, then the next 2 coins came out gold he looked like he was going to pass out.
This is the best find I have ever witnessed. We were very careful not to rub any of the coins or even handle them until they were well washed off.
This is a banner find for sure.

A

art of fact

That is an incredible banner find that purse is in incredible condition I didnt know they even made snap buttons back then.Abanner find for sure.Is there any markings on the purse to indicate age? congradulations Art OF Fact. :headbang:

W57

Aug 17, 2008
definitely a spectacular find, here's a nice clear shot of the coin purse (from the link in the first post)
100_0455.jpg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the two smaller coins gold as well, or are they brass? The "california gold" coin looks a bit suspect to me, but the other one looks spot on. I'm not that familiar with all the california fractionals, but it looks odd. Could it be a contemporary counterfeit?

Cool find! I really like the old purse too.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: The two little Mexican "gold" coins appear to be modern fakes made in 1965. I don't know how they ended up in your coin purse.

http://www.worldwide-numismatics.com/page Mexico 2.htm

(Third and fourth coins down on the above link.) The California piece is now highly suspect IMO.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
What a cool find !!! you are the king!!!!!! BANNER!!!!!,,,OH YA ,,,,,AND YOU GET THE "MIKE THE CAT" AWARD!!!!!!,,,,, THANKS

ARTHUR

Attachments

• mike the cat.jpg
    mike the cat.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 2,906
  • mike the cat.jpg
    mike the cat.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 2,908

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Are the two smaller coins gold as well, or are they brass? The "california gold" coin looks a bit suspect to me, but the other one looks spot on. I'm not that familiar with all the california fractionals, but it looks odd. Could it be a contemporary counterfeit?

Agreed.

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Update: The two little Mexican "gold" coins appear to be modern fakes made in 1965. I don't know how they ended up in your coin purse. Curious.

Very curious.

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
BuckleBoy said:

I was thinking the same thing. Still an awesome find! Love that purse.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Update: The two little Mexican "gold" coins appear to be modern fakes made in 1965. I don't know how they ended up in your coin purse. Curious. :-X

(Third and fourth coins down on the above link.) The California piece is now highly suspect IMO.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Well, I didn't want to be a thrill kill, but since BB mentioned it, the two 1865 Maximilian coins are called "fantasy tokens". Many varieties exist from gold plated to 14k. Minted sometime after 1949 by many different sources. Yes, I do believe the California gold token is suspect too.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
BuckleBoy said:
Update: The two little Mexican "gold" coins appear to be modern fakes made in 1965. I don't know how they ended up in your coin purse. Curious. :-X

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Well, I didn't want to be a thrill kill, but since BB mentioned it, the two Maximilian coins are called "fantasy tokens". Many varieties exist from gold plated to 14k. Minted sometime after 1949 by many different sources. Yes, I do believe the California gold token is suspect too.

Is it then possible, that this is a childs play purse & all of them are 'play type' coins/tokens?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread