Colonial Era Silver Cufflinks w/design

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I met one of my goals which was to find a pair of silver cufflinks. I have been fortunate to find many pairs of cufflinks over the years and most with a nice design, but none were ever made of silver.

I went to my "Colonial Copper Grand Slam" site yesterday, which back in late 2003 I accomplished a grand slam of finding 4 British halfpence all from a different monarch! A William III, King George I, King George II and a King George III. All within 10 feet of each other and all within 10 minutes. I have the story & photos posted for a few years now under Best Finds. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102926.0.html

I had planned on digging and sifting a few spots at this small homestead yesterday, but after two small digs, the heat and humidity told me to stop diggin and just metal detect. So I put away the shovel and sifter and started detecting.

This homestead is very small, the iron field hit area is no more than 20x30 feet at best and even then the targets are very scarce. My previous hunts yielded my oldest lock ever found by me and my son got a nice 18th century knee buckle there. GrandSlamsiteAug2009.JPG

Near the edge of the homestead, next to the beginning of a cedar swamp area, I did get a weak but decent, non iron hit and to my delight a beautiful pair of cufflinks were staring up at me! IMG_0012.JPG

I was as not sure if they were silver or pewter, but once I washed them off, I decided to try a bit of baking soda paste on the backside and without a doubt the cufflinks were silver. IMG_0015.JPG cufflinksdirty1.jpg

These cufflinks probably date around later middle period to the late 1700s(1750s-1790)
Colonial Silver Flower Design Cufflinks.jpg

This was the third pair this year with the first pair being the TALLYO ones I found in February.

Don

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions