Colonial Era Silver Cufflinks w/design

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I met one of my goals which was to find a pair of silver cufflinks. I have been fortunate to find many pairs of cufflinks over the years and most with a nice design, but none were ever made of silver.

I went to my "Colonial Copper Grand Slam" site yesterday, which back in late 2003 I accomplished a grand slam of finding 4 British halfpence all from a different monarch! A William III, King George I, King George II and a King George III. All within 10 feet of each other and all within 10 minutes. I have the story & photos posted for a few years now under Best Finds. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102926.0.html

I had planned on digging and sifting a few spots at this small homestead yesterday, but after two small digs, the heat and humidity told me to stop diggin and just metal detect. So I put away the shovel and sifter and started detecting.

This homestead is very small, the iron field hit area is no more than 20x30 feet at best and even then the targets are very scarce. My previous hunts yielded my oldest lock ever found by me and my son got a nice 18th century knee buckle there. GrandSlamsiteAug2009.JPG

Near the edge of the homestead, next to the beginning of a cedar swamp area, I did get a weak but decent, non iron hit and to my delight a beautiful pair of cufflinks were staring up at me! IMG_0012.JPG

I was as not sure if they were silver or pewter, but once I washed them off, I decided to try a bit of baking soda paste on the backside and without a doubt the cufflinks were silver. IMG_0015.JPG cufflinksdirty1.jpg

These cufflinks probably date around later middle period to the late 1700s(1750s-1790)
Colonial Silver Flower Design Cufflinks.jpg

This was the third pair this year with the first pair being the TALLYO ones I found in February.

Don

Upvote 1
A

art of fact

that is awesome,I love hunting colonial sites and it looks pretty private too,Thats even better.Happy Hunting, Art Of Fact.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: wow now those are a awsome find congrats

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Don

arn't they known as cuflink buttons :icon_scratch:

SS.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:hello: Don

arn't they known as cuflink buttons :icon_scratch:

SS.

As far as I know most (in America) call them cufflinks, in fact if only one half was found, people would most likely chime in and say, hey, that is a cufflink and not a button. Mr Warren Tice (Dating Buttons author) calls them Cuff Links or Linked Buttons. I do consider them a button, but call them cufflinks. ::)

Don

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going Don SJ, you seem to be hunting in the middle of no-where. Love those cuff links :headbang:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to find those. Great goin!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, they are might fine, don't you just love the simple but stunning designs :icon_thumright:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pair of cufflinks, glad you could knock another one of your wish list. I have only ever found one cufflink they seem hard to come by especially made of silver congrats on another great find. HH!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Oh Man, they are sweet! Great find! How many acres is that site? I would detect every inch of that site for at least 200-300 yards in circular fashion from where those colonial coppers and cufflinks were found.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're beautiful...I love the flower design, looks like the dogwood blossom. Now if you could find the matching mate, then you'll get to wear em.

:wink: RR

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pair of silver cufflinks Don. :hello2:
Congrats to you.
I've been putting off MDing in this heat but now you got my blood pumping again. ;D
-MM-

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Cuff Links !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread