Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

This past week I went hunting with the guy who got me started in this Great hobby over 17 years ago. It was the first time we'd hunted together in a long time, so I lined up a site or two, and he did the same, and we got out diggin' twice during the week. I wanted to see if I could keep up with the guy after a lot of hours detecting and some good finds under my belt. (He used to detect circles around me. :D )

Well, it was tough. He nailed some good CW relics and I did the same on our first trip out. You'd think that two decades and a knee replacement would've slowed this guy down, but not so. He is a Master at the top of his game.

We hopped in his truck--which was new when we first started hunting together, but now was rusting out a bit and had no A/C. :P

It was a beautiful drive to our spot:

hills.jpg

We jumped out and hit the pasture on the outskirts of the camp. I got lucky and walked over two targets in the first 30 minutes or so--a complete shoulder scale button mechanism, and a nice dropped three-ringer. (If I hadn't had this good fortune, I wouldn't have been able to keep up with him!) I was quite pleased to see the scale button, because I do not have a complete one in my collection yet--only pieces of them. :thumbsup:

My third signal there, after I dug the plug I saw a thick iron piece sticking out of it--and my first thought was "Ram Rod!" I cut the plug wide and gave it a tug, but it was only four inches long. :-\ I still wonder if it is a piece of one. It is too thick to be a piece of fence wire.

After hunting a bit more in the pasture, we hit the woods. The lead kept coming at a more or less steady pace. Here's a photo of my mentor hunting for the CW goodies with a passion:

T in woods.jpg

Pretty soon, I heard him say "I think I've got a nickel." I walked over to him to take a look (his eyesight isn't what it used to be). I knew before I got there that it would be a shield nickel, and it was. :icon_thumleft: We hunted a good while there, then stopped for a sandwich and hit the road. Here's a photo of the finds for the hunt:

CW finds.jpg

shield nickel.jpg

The next outing was a housesite hunt, and to be honest, we spread ourselves a little too thin. We ended up with more sites than we could hunt, and one property owner told us that we could hunt his yard if we wished (there was only new clad there :tard:). We then took a short drive to a spot that the owner had told us a little story about: Back in the 50s, two kids that were always in trouble with the law had robbed a nearby store and walked away with a few pocketfulls of half dollars. When they got back home to their parent's log cabin that night, the police pulled in and knocked on the door. Both boys ran out the back door with their loot, tossing it out somewhere in the field behind the house to get rid of the evidence. The property owner had been told this by one of the culprits himself, but he didn't know if any or all of the half dollars had been recovered by the lawbreakers at a later date.

When we got to the field, only half of it was huntable. The other half had hay on it. So we hunted for an hour or two, stopping occasionally to dig a Great signal and find an aluminum can. I figured we couldn't go wrong to at least check out such a great, firsthand story like that. The other half of the field will be there waiting for us still, as well as the cabin site itself (which was overgrown with weeds and poison ivy).

Then we hit a spot where there was a sledding run back in the 40s and 50s, hoping to snag a silver or two and save the day. Here's a few photos of the hill we were working:

T down hill.jpg

T uphill.jpg

T uphill closeup.jpg

We ended up with a pocket full of wheaties and I got a little silver. :) It was pretty new compared to what I usually find, but I wasn't about to throw it back. :wink:

quarter.jpg

quarter hand.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow sounds like you had a great hunt with you mentor. Hopefully on your return trip you find a few of those silver half dollars!!!!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Country , I am glad to see that you was able to finally get back with your Mentor on such a interesting hunt.
Always Great finds and Great pics :thumbsup:

Nova Treasure

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and pictures. When you look at the pictures with all of that wide open space, it seems that sometimes we are looking for a needle in a haystack. Excellent job on those CW relics, I need to head down to VA soon and get my piece of history before it's all gone. I'm looking forward to your next post and finds. HH

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
Looks like you had a great hunt, glad you and your friend got together for some huntin, KEEPA DIGGIN :thumbsup:

MLHUDSON
Southeast Treasure Hunters Club
President

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB, a priceless adventure with someone who obviously means the world to you. It just makes us realize that mentors and even hunting buddies won't always be around to hunt with and enjoy their company. A beautiful story with great pics from "the Bread Basket of the Confederacy" in one of my very favorite states. HH, Quindy.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Buck,

I remember, in an e-mail last June, you talking about your mentor. It is nice to finally see you two in action after such a long time apart.

The artifacts recovered were nothing compared to the memories that you made with him out in the fields. And, as we all know, that is what this great pastime is all about! The relics are just the icing on the metal detecting cake!

Were you hunting in Kentucky or Virginia? I don't think you mentioned in your post.

I hope you have nailed more sites for you and the Brigade this Fall! I am looking forward to the day when those posts arrive!

Kyle

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice hunt grasshopper. :notworthy: Can you catch the fly?

Good to see you get a hunt in with such a good freind. I'm sure it was great for the both of you.

Love the scenery. That's beautiful country.

Good Luck
Randy

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I could hunt all day long in those sites, not find a thing, and still be quite content with my day. beautiful pics, and a great story. pretty good finds, too. dwayne

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:BB...

when I clicked on to the first picture, I could have swore I heard the sound of Cannon and gunfire coming from the slopes near the woods :notworthy:

awsome pictures of a fantastic hunt :headbang: :headbang:

SS.

A

art of fact

Good to see old friends get together again,That looks like a great place to hunt,out of sight out of mind,beutiful pictures :icon_sunny:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a "feel good" post. And I'm sure with no finds it would still remain a memorable event.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Great story and some beautiful pictures. :icon_thumleft: Glad to hear you guys were finally able to detect together again.
Nice job on the relics, and now I have a question..........
What is a shoulder scale button? ???
Congrats on the silver too,
MM

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Great Post!

Sounds like a great hunt, with or without digging anything! A priceless hunt, great photos.

Best of Luck to you and your mentor!

Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread