c. 1789 George Washington Inaugural Linked States Button

Mr. Magoo

Feb 5, 2007
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the ground a man from North Carolina stood looking up at the balcony. He had traveled a great distance to see someone this day. On his chest was a button he had purchased to show support for the man he came to see. It was a bright and glorious day and in his chest was the beating of his heart to a patriotic beat. The man he came to see was the new President. As the crowd grew quiet he saw who he came to see step to the balcony. He was tall and was dressed in a brown suit wearing silver shoe buckles and diamond knee buckles and a beautiful sword. It was President elect George Washington, truly a man above men. He had captivated the attention of the infant country by his heroic leadership in the American Revolution. As the day passed, the man started home to North Carolina. Back to his farm and his life, only this time with a feeling that good times were soon coming. Back at his farm, he removed the patriotic button from his chest and placed it in a keepsake box beside his bed, often times taking it out looking at it to encourage him through the hardships that would come. The ovals around the half-dollar sized brass button told him of the union of many people in various states that supported the countries new cause. The statement “Long Live The President” denoted the cry for long life to a wise and loved man and the scripted GW in his own script signified his personalized vow to lead a struggling country into freedom of tyranny.
Two hundred and twenty years later I walked the ground of the location where this man lived and worked. How it got to this place is unknown. Swinging my detector with a friend we were unaware of the historical encounter we would have this day. For three days we dug many items that took us back to the 18th century and early 19th century. Finding many flat, one-piece buttons, a 1813 Peruvian reale, Georgian period clock winding key as well as musket balls and square nails, we knew we were close to a find of a lifetime. As the targets grew fewer and fewer and the ground grew quiet, I decided to hunt more slowly and to hunt the fringes of the location. Receiving a broken sound registering five inches on my trusty Spectrum XLT, I eagerly dug into the hard, red earth. Rolling the big plug of earth, I looked for what my target had detected. Then there it was covered in dirt-a large half-dollar shaped object. Picking it up, I called my friend over to witness the find. Looking at it, we agreed that it appeared to be a dandy button from the 18th century.
Dandy buttons were large, over-sized buttons worn by affluent people of their time to denote wealth and status. It fit with the other items that had been found on the site. Thinking nothing more of it, the button was put it into my pocket with the other items found that day.
As I continued hunting and the sun beat down on me, I decided to take shelter in the shade and get a cool drink of water. While resting, I pulled the button from my pouch and splashed water on it to see if there was any other detail that may be present. Immediately there was great detail around the rim and I recognized the pattern to be a possible George Washington Inaugural button of the linked states variety. My heart was racing as I yelled to my buddy to look. I was shaking at the possible historical significance of this item. I couldn’t hunt anymore though I tried. My mind kept coming back to the button- that glorious button and the day that it marked- 4 March 1789. Finally I made the three hour drive home and getting inside I ran water over the button and gently loosened the dirt that still covered the button. I then compared it to my reference guide. It was indeed a linked states variety George Washington Inaugural button c. 1789 with only 55 known to exist. What a find! I later found out it was seen in the movie “National Treasure” with Nicholas Cage. The chances of finding this type of historical iconary are rare and I had found it that day! As I held it in my shaking hands I uttered the same words that were shouted as the man stood at the balcony on that day- “Long Live The President!”

Attachments

• gwbutton.jpg
    gwbutton.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • gw1button.jpg
    gw1button.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,328
  • gw2button.jpg
    gw2button.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,340
  • gw4.jpg
    gw4.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,330
  • gwbutton.jpg
    gwbutton.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,321
  • gw1button.jpg
    gw1button.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,326
  • gw2button.jpg
    gw2button.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,310
  • gw4.jpg
    gw4.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,292
  • gwone.jpg
    gwone.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,286
  • gwfront.jpg
    gwfront.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,284
Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
This, in my mind, is now a BANNER-WORTHY post! :notworthy: The way you took us back to 1789 and then to the present time was genius!

Congrats on a find of a lifetime, Mr. Magoo!

Kyle

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job on the story! Fantastic job on the find! :hello2:

I didn't realize how big those were. :dontknow:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Banner!
Notwithstanding it's monetary value, this is a true historic find.
In 2003, Stack's had an auction and this type (9, 9a-9d) sold from $4,000 to $11,000 each.
Here's a site you may have already seen:
http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/index.html
Again; unbelievable find!! Congrats. I'll be most interested in following this thread.
Don........

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Fantastic find, for me that would be like finding an Anglo Saxon Gold Coin :o :o :occasion14:

Good luck for the next time you go back :thumbsup:

Banneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer :notworthy:

SS.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Magoo, I've been trying to find out a little more about this variety but what is written seems unclear. Albert mentions a variety which, to use his words, has "design showing on the back". What is unclear is whether he is referring to a negative design or another positive impression on the verso. What makes his description even more unclear is a following statement regarding another pewter example (later pewter button repro) where Albert says, "known also with device on both sides".

The two differently worded descriptions can conceivably mean two different things for one or the other button (one shows design on verso, while the other shows design deliberately struck on verso); and I only mention them both to point out what such wording may mean regarding your genuine button. I have yet to find anything more regarding the "design showing on the back" variety, however without knowing more it seems possible Albert is referring to a thinner planchet used for your's where the design shows through on the back. If that is what he means, then your button would fit that category of "design showing on the back" and be far rarer (rarity6) with only several known. (WHB 10B)

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The find is BANNER, and the well-told story is BANNER-WORTHY. Once-in-a-lifetime.....and you did it.
I think my hands would still be shaking. Good job. :notworthy: :notworthy:

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great historical find like this belongs in the banner. Awesome!!!

Your depiction of the past to present puts a picture to the words you have submitted with your find.

HH
DJH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a fantastic story, you truly have great writing skills to match your great detecting abilities. Now this is Truly a Banner post. I have now recommended it. :hello2:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also jumping on the BANNER wagon. A fantastic story leads us to a fantastic find.

Be sure to send this to Whites and W&E Treasures :thumbsup:

Congrats Mr Magoo :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

habs

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest: