hobo1.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 970
  • hobo2.JPG
    hobo2.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 966
Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

Very possible it is a hobo dimse. there were many hobo nickle artists, some prefered to work with other mediums. Very important find here!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the Gold "Love Token" I found in a lake while detecting some yrs ago,,, I can't find my 2 silver ones at the moment but if I do, I'll post those too.

Attachments

• lovetoken.jpg
    lovetoken.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 606
  • lovetoken2.jpg
    lovetoken2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 590

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeTwoDtect said:
Very possible it is a hobo dimse. there were many hobo nickle artists, some prefered to work with other mediums. Very important find here!

Original "Hobo nickels" were carved from "Buffalo nickels" by hobo's during the 20s/30s to portray the "images" of "hobo's"... They used the Indian on the Buffalo nickels as their "base image" to do their work & show their skills & make the nickels look as they did. That's where the "term" "Hobo nickel" came from.

They didn't use seated dimes, etc. because the "portriat" of lady liberty doesn't look like a dude to begin with, her face/head isn't big enough to work with, and is of the wrong "era"...

The seated dimes & gold dollars were of the "era & time" when the civilwar soliders carved "Love tokens" to wear & carry with them while away at war but to remind them of their loved ones back home, and or they would send them to their loved ones back home. Typically they carved the "initials" of their loved one/s on the pieces in fancy font (as shown on my piece above, and the piece from the original post here)...

Gypsy people adapted the "love token" carving later, and sold them as they passed from town to town during circus events, etc. as a way to make a $

These are all "documented facts" of our history...

"Class dismissed"! ;D

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Jeff of pa, those are some neat pics! I'd never seen such things, thanks!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Thanks for the "Schoolin'" LW...I learn something new every time I run across one of your posts. Now I've got a new item on my list of "TO FIND's". ;D
Omni...are those your finds? Is that a cold coin? ~CO2

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The seated liberty version of hobo nickles are called "potty" coins, usually the dollars and the half dollars. They are very expensive and make the lady appear to be using a chamber pot. On some her gown is removed and other features enlarged. Kinda like the dirty postcards of the victorian age. exanimo, ss

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are called "Potty Dollars" which you refer to exanimo,

there's a difference though,

the potty dollar is carved on a "Trade Dollar", not seated dollar,

values range but are generally around $120 to $150 a piece depending on the carvers quality, and coins condition,

here are 2 examples but are in poor condition, I wouldn't buy either one of these as most are in far better condition, and can easily be found on ebay..

hh

lonewolfe

Attachments

• c5082-o.jpg
    c5082-o.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 435

Magnumto

Greenie
Nov 28, 2005
Zapata, Texas
Fascinating topic! It appears that the people that can create things like this acquired all the talent I lack! ??? Does anyone know if there is a convention regarding the initials - can one tell what order the initials are, or are there always 6 possibilities?
HH,
Frank

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Very nice. I would say a seated dime also. They did some really cool things with those coins. I know of a old hobo town around here. I guess everyone had one at one point or another.

HH Jer

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an awesome thread. How did I miss it before? Those are all some really nice Love tokens. I have heard of, and seen the Hobo nickels, but never heard of the "Potty Dollars". Some peoples imaginations!
I would think that you would have to be a pretty good engraver to risk doing that to a gold coin.

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
No matter what it was still a great find. Being new here, never heard of Hobo coins. Very interesting and you all had some great pictures. Just what I love about this site, I'm always learning something new. Thanks

Ken

Keith (Indiana)

Jan 4, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
lonewolfe said:
Those are called "Potty Dollars" which you refer to exanimo,

there's a difference though,

the potty dollar is carved on a "Trade Dollar", not seated dollar,

values range but are generally around $120 to $150 a piece depending on the carvers quality, and coins condition,

here are 2 examples but are in poor condition, I wouldn't buy either one of these as most are in far better condition, and can easily be found on ebay..

hh

lonewolfe

Here's a better image:

carved_1877S-$1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions