Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Button, Button, Who's got the button?

Hello all,

I was out digging with my friend Steve a few days ago. We were exploring a site together hoping to find some signs of old targets. After about 3 hours of nothing but trash and light rain, Steve had to head home. I gave it about an hour more just hoping I was right about the site we were on.

As the rain started to pick up, I began to think more and more about following him. Then I hit a signal that changed everything.

It was a strong signal in the injun range(12-32 to 12-34 on the Etrac). Expecting another piece of trash, I cut a plug and flipped out about 4-6 inches of dirt. Nothing in the plug, so I stuck my probe in the hole and it began singing. Reached in and felt something solid in the loose dirt and what a shock I received when I saw what it was. There in my hand were not one, but SEVEN one piece convex buttons. And they were all on a very small piece of string.

I was amazed at my fortune, and out of habit stuck the probe back in the hole. It sang! I reached in, grabbed some dirt, tossed it to the side, and checked the hole. Still singing. The next handful I checked before tossing it and the probe sang, so I sifted through the dirt to find TWO more buttons. Puzzled, I checked the pile I had just tossed down, and sure enough, I had tossed TWO more aside. So there I was with 7 buttons on a string and 4 loose buttons.

Again, out of habit, I stuck the probe in the hole and it was STILL singing. I reached in and all the loose dirt was gone, so I started feeling into the sides of the hole. In one corner down at the bottom I felt something solid. I grabbed it firmly, gave a tug, and a TON of buttons on a string came out!! I wish I had had a camera to capture the discovery, but alas, I have no field photos.

There was nothing left in the hole, so I filled it, carefully packaged my buttons, and headed home. On the way I began daydreaming about having a coat made with authentic buttons. I have been waiting until I found enough similar buttons to make a coat, and there in one hole I found enough for at least one. I was a VERY happy camper.

Upon arriving at home, I carefully pulled out the buttons, snapped a few photos of the dirty bunch and then started investigating them. It was then I noticed gilt. So I grab one of the loose buttons and start cleaning the back with naval jelly(a big thanks to Buckleboy for his guide and personal advice on cleaning these buttons.) I was under the impression these were standard civilian one piece buttons like I had found in the past, so the back seemed the most logical to start with.

After a little patience with the jelly, a nice backmark appeared. I did a little research and this is what I learned.

The backmark reads: ARMITAGE PHILA with the words TREBLE GILT in smaller print on the outside rim of the button. George Armitage was born in Sheffield England and moved to the United States in 1795. In 1799 he began making buttons in Philadelphia and continued to do so until 1826 when he sold the business.

Reading that set me on an even higher cloud than I had been on before. Knowing these buttons had some age to them was just more icing on the cake. After making that discovery, I began cleaning the outside of the button I had begun working on. All was fine until the jelly started working. As the jelly started removing dirt and the Qtip moved it around slowly, tiny details began to emerge. Little by little I started seeing something, and then suddenly, my dreams of a period coat were bashed.

There on the button stood and Eagle.

Shock and awe immediately set in, and as I continued cleaning they took greater hold on me. Not only had I found 33 one piece buttons, but they were old as the dickens, had an amazing amount of gilt on them, and they were MILITARY.

Once again I rushed to the web to research. Calls to friends and Buckleboy were also made around the same time. After a couple hours of looking we finally found out what I had found, and the reality of what I had became even better.

33 Stunningly beautiful US Infantry Officer buttons from the War of 1812

I am shocked, stunned, and amazed to have made this discovery, and it is beyond my wildest dream to dig just one, let alone 33 buttons of this age in this condition. The only theory I can come up with for this find is that these buttons were originally held in some sort of bag, pouch or box and were lost in transit. It appears that they were strung tightly together by the man who made them and sent out to whoever or wherever to be sewn into a coat there. Whatever held them has long since deteriorated, as I saw no evidence of it in the hole. There is no other way I can make sense of the buttons being so nice and the string being still intact.

If you have any theories about their origin, I am very interested to hear them. We may never know the full story, but I am elated with this find. Thank you for reading(I hope I was not too long winded) and happy hunting!
Anthony

The photos are as follows:
#1: all 33 eagle buttons(the chipped tombac was in the hole but does not match so I did not make note of it before)
#2: 22 dirty buttons on a string(these are as yet uncleaned, but you can still see some details)
#3: The front of one of the buttons
#4: Closeup of the backmark on one
#5: 9 of the buttons(5 came off the small string in cleaning, but 2 are still left on at the moment)
#6: The backside of 6 of the buttons. There is still a little dirt in a few of them

Attachments

• dirty buttons.JPG
    dirty buttons.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 4,778
  • button strand.JPG
    button strand.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 4,763
  • REGt button.JPG
    REGt button.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 4,768
  • backmark.JPG
    backmark.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 4,750
  • 9 shiny buttons.JPG
    9 shiny buttons.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 4,733
  • 6 backmarks.JPG
    6 backmarks.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 4,722
Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Button, Button, Who's got the button?

Wow! That is so cool! I always new people would string them together but never saw them found that way. Bet your heart was pumping :D I know mine would have been.

Brian

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

First of all, great find.

No on to the buttons. Is it just me or is the regimental number missing??? Or should it even be there? Might they be part of a shipment of buttons that had yet to be finished??

Just a thought.

Daryl

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Great find!
Newt

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BioProfessor said:

No on to the buttons. Is it just me or is the regimental number missing??? Or should it even be there? Might they be part of a shipment of buttons that had yet to be finished??

Just a thought.

Daryl

I agree, wonder if they were on their way to a Regiment and then the number would then be applied (Stamped). Perhaps lost by a courier or a salesman?

What a great find, just something that does not happen at all, until now........

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
BioProfessor said:

Just a thought.

Daryl

I agree, wonder if they were on their way to a Regiment and then the number would then be applied (Stamped). Perhaps lost by a courier or a salesman?

What a great find, just something that does not happen at all, until now........

Don

I know very little about US buttons, but I thought it odd the shield was blank. Is that where the Reg no. went?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Regiment number would be inside the shield
Looking in Alberts book, it also looks like they were stamped in not always a neat centered manner, so perhaps they were stamped as received or bought.

I would add, that these buttons were probably never worn.

Don

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

CRUSADER said:
Don in SJ said:
BioProfessor said:

Just a thought.

Daryl

Don

I know very little about US buttons, but I thought it odd the shield was blank. Is that where the Reg no. went?

According to some of the research we turned up, these would have usually had the regimental number in the shield. However, I have found 3 dug examples online with a blank shield.
Anthony

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whatever held them has long since deteriorated, as I saw no evidence of it in the hole. There is no other way I can make sense of the buttons being so nice and the string being still intact.

HEMP!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a great find. They are beautiful.
Congratulations on a great hunt.
Regards,
TnMountains

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anthony,
Truly an amazing find!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! :o :o :o
Congrats on a WELL deserved banner!!!
-MM-
:occasion14:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on a stellar piece of history...once lost.....NOW FOUND!!! :notworthy: Hogge :thumbsup:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac

Congrats on your banner find bud! Oh, did I tell you my big flattie turned out to be a GW Inaug?

JK but still. . .Thanks for the gift and thanks for the hunts! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find!!!

Man what a nice find!!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It is Amazing what someone might find on a hunt. Awesome unique find.

Congrats,Nova Treasure

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Stellar find as my boy Nick would say.
Congrats to you. :thumbsup:
I'm in awe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread