Unusual Hammered SILVER coin, My First! ... ID help, please.

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I am in Italy now, and after a week of learning my new Tesoro Vaquero, (still not there yet), and finding handful of whatsits, a few copper 19th century coins, a MARTINI VERMOUTH sign, and a good pocket knife, I finally got what I was looking for; an ancient coin. MY FIRST!!!! Stoked is not the word. Can Crusader remember that far back to his first of gazillions? ;)

It was one inch deep or less, and no more than three feet from the front of my house, under a rock.
I didn't want to hunt here as wifey would have some gnarly words about her lawn and garden getting messed up with my hobby. But, I was given a baby sitting job to watch the neighbor's dog for a few days, so as not to lose her (the dog, not the wife) in the woods, I detected around the house for practice.

I have no idea what era or origin it has. Roman? Medieval???. It is thin and 7/8" longest..Any help on IDing it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure the term "hammered" applies, but that's what it looks like. It has some mythological looking animals, and an eagle on one side, and what looks like a woman standing with outreached arm on the other side, some letters around both side's edges.

First two pics are right out of the ground after a water rinse, the next three pics are after a few minute's cleaning.

Attachments

• Mvc-040f.jpg
    Mvc-040f.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 514
  • Mvc-042f.jpg
    Mvc-042f.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 516
  • Mvc-043f.jpg
    Mvc-043f.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 507
  • Mvc-045f.jpg
    Mvc-045f.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 512
  • Mvc-044f.jpg
    Mvc-044f.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hammered silver :hello2: Congrats on a great find :icon_king:

Not sure what it is, however reckon it will be ID :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its European, Not British, maybe Dutch, I pretty sure it will be about 1750s or just before. It is silver but not hammered, most likely milled. (although it does seem double striked, so a bit puzzelling).

I will watch for a full ID, this is all best guess.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
"Its European, Not British, maybe Dutch, I pretty sure it will be about 1750s or just before. It is silver but not hammered, most likely milled. (although it does seem double striked, so a bit puzzelling).

I will watch for a full ID, this is all best guess."

Ciao Cru,..Thanks for your opinion, and Good Eye on the double strike. Forgot to mention that in my original description. Now what's the difference between Hammered and Milled? I'm new to all this European coinage, so bear with me here.

Dutch would be a surprise around here, considering we are in the rural Alps, though this area has plenty history of early German immigration around 1750 and earlier.

Also I discovered today what a hot rock is today, and their cost in time in digging for nothing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldnow said:
"Its European, Not British, maybe Dutch, I pretty sure it will be about 1750s or just before. It is silver but not hammered, most likely milled. (although it does seem double striked, so a bit puzzelling).

I will watch for a full ID, this is all best guess."

Ciao Cru,..Thanks for your opinion, and Good Eye on the double strike. Forgot to mention that in my original description. Now what's the difference between Hammered and Milled? I'm new to all this European coinage, so bear with me here.

Dutch would be a surprise around here, considering we are in the rural Alps, though this area has plenty history of early German immigration around 1750 and earlier.

Also I discovered today what a hot rock is today, and their cost in time in digging for nothing.

German/Austro-Hungarian Empire was my second guess. Now you say this, it makes it more likely, specially as it has a seated britannia on the Reverse (first picture)

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Okay, I'll bite. Why does a German/Austro-Hungarian coin have a seated britannia on it?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldnow said:
Okay, I'll bite. Why does a German/Austro-Hungarian coin have a seated britannia on it?

The British Monachs are from Hanover, Germany. So its a guess, as it would need to be a coin with close links to the British (as its mostly British coins that have a seated Britannia on it, & I know its not British). Its my logic & maybe completely wrong.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Fair enough...Two animals I have kind of figure out..The upper left is an eagle, with what I think is a fish in his claws..And the lower right looks like a griffin/dragon with wings.. The upper right one has me baffled, as when I turn my head I get a ram one way, and when I turn my head the other way I get a mythical creature.

Most eagles I have seen from this area all look like they just got their willy stuck in a light socket. This one seems more lucky.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I can live with a circa 1500 coin as my first major find.

Thanks, Mackaydon, for your helpful link. I think my wish-list just went over to the next page after perusing the possible finds I can come across here.

Can I ask the dirty?--Does it have any value?
(Wifey needs some confidence the 500 euros for the Tesoro and extras was a good idea.)

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
It's a nice old coin whatever it turns out to be :icon_thumleft:

A great feeling to find something that old!!

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Thanks Shaun.. I watch your posts, and I want you to know that there's an MDer in Italy rooting for you to ace-out Crusader one day.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I know, Macaydon.. Wifey is over my shoulder all of a sudden, thinking her ancestral land is holding hoards of gold. Yesterday, I was getting dirty looks when I grabbed my machine, Now she wants to know when I'm going next. She even windexed the coil.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
goldnow said:
Thanks Shaun.. I watch your posts, and I want you to know that there's an MDer in Italy rooting for you to ace-out Crusader one day.

Sadly i don't think that will ever happen :-\

Appart from knowing exactly how to use his detector, he is one lucky f**k*r :D

Thanks for rooting for me though ;D

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
"Sadly i don't think that will ever happen.

Appart from knowing exactly how to use his detector, he is one lucky f**k*r.

Thanks for rooting for me though."

I hate winners.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
goldnow said:

Sadly i don't think that will ever happen :-\

Appart from knowing exactly how to use his detector, he is one lucky f**k*r :D

Thanks for rooting for me though ;D

It will happen when you least expect it.

I still have a long way to understand the XP but I'm getting there. Yes I definately feel lucky :icon_thumright:

As for the coin, I don't think its as old as 1500s, might be late 1600s at a push. I may get egg on my face, but I never shy from guessing based on similar finds.

Value will be very little ($5 I would think), unless it turns out to be the only one. We don't value the coins like the US do. But I've always made the point, that money is irrevant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread