Daughters Big Find

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
For my daughter,Cheyenne's 10th birthday in September ,I finally broke down and got her a Pioneer Bounty Hunter...just to keep her quiet when tagging along with me. She has been diligenty hunting since. We live on a lake, that was once a river bed and then when the dam broke in the 1940's they allowed it to remain flooded...hence the lake. Cheyenne has been hunting the shoreline since and began digging a hole near the shore since September. It just kept getting deeper and wider...and when asked ,she would keep telling me that something was down there. She called it her "Money Pit ".
Every once in a while she would come in with an old spoon,beads? ,a bottle or two that she dig out from the hole...but she just kept digging....telling me she knew that something was in that hole....soon the hole was as deep as she is tall. ( 4') When we began to get snow, she even covered the hole with a peice of plywood to keep it clean...Well last night she said she was going out to dig...even in the frigid weather we have had...I just laughed. About a half an hour later I heard an excited "mama,mama!"
I looked out the window to see her struggling up the hill with two large heavy items.... What she had found in her "money pit" was a large iron logging cant hook and the front off an old safe door,about 2 x 2'...........Maybe not the best treasures ...but to her she had hit big treasure! I think I have another die hard metal detectoress in the making!
Will post pictures as soon as Santa brings me my new digital!

Attachments

• peavey_cant hook.gif
    peavey_cant hook.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
wow thats amazing :o ?the rest of that safe could be down there ;) ?she could have found an old dump, or a place where the current sucks all the stuff in the lake.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! I remember being about that age and thinking every thing you find in the woods was worth millions. ;D Good stuff!

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take my 5yr old daughter with me a lot and all she wants are the earth worms! :D

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
If i were you i would ask my child to search for the rest of the safe and hand my md if needed.. i only wish my kids would get as hyper about that as they do when they tell me to crash the cars "i do demo derby's" but atleast my 6yr old son helps out with the cars.. i think she might be onto something there tho, and good job!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gypsy, that's awesome. Makes you wonder about how they got there....lost by whom.....how old they are.

Your daughter sounds like she's going to be a great treasure hunter!

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
she a good girl, she dont give up till she gets it,

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
She is still digging...trying to convince me she doesnt need to go to school... hahah....and the size of her "Dear Santa " list is now growing....she wants a propane heater ! Hahah and wants to know if she can put her pup tent over the hole....holes! She doesnt want any help....but I went and checked it out while she is in school ...detector just screaming! ...so there is more in there for her to dig! ....Stubborn little gal...dont know where she gets that from??? ;) I am just keeping the camera ready for when she comes up with more treasure!

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
gypsyheart said:
She is still digging... ?I am just keeping the camera ready? for when she comes up with more treasure!

NO!!, tell her to stay in the hole, post it and we'll ALL BE THERE WITH OUR CAMERAS!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Wow, great story...Looking forward to the obvious conclusion when something truly valuable comes up out of her excavation!!!? I'm sure there's alot of relic hunters that would love to dig up a cant, much less a safe door.? Must have been a timber harvest upstream at some point.? (Dream with me for a minute...)? Two rogue employees knowing that the company safe would be full on Friday for Saturdays payroll, show up a bit early for work (3 a.m.)? Hurriedly lashing three logs together with rope for a stable platform, they manage to jimmy the locks on the company store and drag the safe to their makeshift raft.? As they're headed downstream with only their cants for navigating the rocks and eddies, something goes terribly wrong in the darkness and the raft plows headlong into a strong set of rapids.? ?As a last ditch effort one of them manages to hook his cant in the handle of the safe only to be jerked from his grasp.? The unsteady craft is upset, and the cargo and crew go into the drink.? The would be thieves lose their dream of early retirment to the river and have to trudge their way back to work in wet attire.?
Let your daughter dream big!? There's definitely a shortage of imagination in many of today's kids.? Too much virtual reality clouding their minds.? Congratulation on your first mate aboard the Pearl.? ~CO2 ;D

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
ohhh...I like that dream...but I think my little treasure hunter is way beyond that one in the imagination department...part of the fun of letting her do this ,has been to listen to her "what ifs" or the end result of "what she will do with her treasure" once she finds it. This has become a pirates bounty, bootlegged whiskey hideout to gangsters gold ...LOL....Its more than heart warming to see this little 72 lb wisp of a girl truck down the hill every night to her spot....That girl will dig to China...funny I couldn't get her to help dig the garden...maybe I should have told her there was treasure there! Think I will just go plant pennies.....treasure hunt and hoe at the same time ....

Where she is digging ,is right on the edge of the former river bank. Our property is situated in the middle of where two dams are, about two miles apart, each having had a lumber and paper mill next to them , one on each end. Sometime in the late 1800's a freak storm came and dumped a foot of rain in under an hour ,the dams up river all broke and they dynamited the lower dam to save the mill.Thousands of trees came rushing through the area and within minutes ,where once was several farms along a river was now totally flooded . They tried to repair the dam for the next ten years , but more flooding continued and they finally let it become a lake between the two dams . So we know for sure that at least four farms were flooded and now sit on the bottom . This was a huge logging community with the rivermen riding the logs down river for miles, which why I am not surprised by the cant hook. But she has taken alot of crazy stuff out of that hole. clay pipe,pottery ,broken dishes,silver ware ,shot gun shells,marbles bottles and more bottles tons of lures ,decorative iron pieces,etc. I want her to experience this and am amazed at her determination, She will ask when she needs help, but even her coming back in and researching what she has found, has been great ,
I was talking to a 80 yr old neighbor who said that in the early 1900's our property was a fishing camp. And that there were about 10 little log cabins along the river on this property, now all gone except for ours. So I think she will find alot in there or near by.
I am researching to find out if any banks or places were robbed ,hence the safe...or if it could have been from one of the farms..I do have the names of the owners of those farms and slowly have been contacting relatives to hear the stories .
This is the first night that she hasn't dug...due to the fact that we are getting 10- 12 inches of snow and she and her sister have taught the neighbors dog to pull them on their sled...hahah .. but she did run down to make sure her hole was covered !
As much as I hope she finds the rest of that safe...and its full...thats really going to tic me off after searching every county in the state for years...hahahah...and here it is...in my back yard ! :o :o :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread