A find worth SAVING!

E

elle

I went down to the beach to do my underwater metal detecting. On the way back to the car, I spotted my greatest find for the day.
The heavy storms and winds during the night must have blown this little rascal out of his hiding place. He tried to walk to me but I noticed one of the wings was injured.
I just got home from the Wildlife Rescue Center and they told me there is a great chance this dove will be successfully nursed back to health!
I just thought I'd share this happy ending with everyone because sometimes it is not the coins that are important, but the other things that make metal detecting so rewarding and enjoyable.
For all the detectorists out there...if you see an animal in need...please take the time to drop the little one off at your nearest Rescue Center...
or call me and I will come, ok?

Thanks everyone!
Laura

Picture.jpg

Upvote 0

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
When rescuing one of these small ones...(my daughter was big on that) LOL

a short fyi...

I was informed to cut the toe off of a tube sock and slide the injured one inside.
this prevents further injury as movement will cause more dammage in many cases.
It also makes transport easier as it blocks the view of the injured bird of the passing scenery.
transport must be conciddered a very high priority as the sock can cause over heating if left in place too long.

I am glad that your small friend will recover.

B

BIG61AL

it may seem like a small gesture but it speaks well to illustrate how advanced the human species is compared to animals. Compassion to another species is a huge leap in intelligence.

sneaky6

Aug 14, 2007
Deep Dug Hole, VA
Nice find indeed!! Thanks for doing the right thing!! You are an asset to our hobby (obsession)!!

BTW.... your posts on the Jesuit Bell were quite a nice read.

Sneaky6

OP
OP
E

elle

Sneaky6...thank you so much!

I'm thinking I should start a "religious relic" section! :wink:

P.S. Thank you also to the others who commented on this thread! Sometimes it takes much out of me to do that 'little" extra when totally exhausted after detecting. But I couldn't have left him and it was all worth while...especially after reading everyone's posts!
Thanks again from the bottom of my heart!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy:

I have picked up to injured Birds in the last month, one of a busy Motorway :'(

SS.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice work Laura! A good deed is always paid back to you somewhere along the way. Call it God or karma or whatever you want, but you always get back what you put in. Thanks for all the help with the bell too, you helped a dove....and ME....this week. You've got a lot of good coming your way in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread