Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Hours with "Swamp Thing"...then 2 hours with "The Yeti" in 95 degree heat

I thought I had 2 very sweet finds yesterday..but they turned out to be a couple of podunkers ;D

I didn't figure on hunting at all yesterday...and haven't been able to in over 3 weeks...but circumstances changed.

I was in the middle of mowing my dad's property when I noticed what I thought was the "Swamp Buggy" pulling up the long driveway. :laughing7:

I then glanced over again and noticed this big blob off in the distance :blob10: ...and it looked to be somewhat mobile. :D

Next thing I know...here comes Darrell's big, truck drivin' butt...heading towards me. :laughing9:

He says..."I'm going to help you mow...then we're going hunting for a couple of hours"

GREAT!! I told him to put his rump in high gear as he headed towards the 2nd rider

I also informed him he needed to pull his freakin' shorts up past his butt ;D ...otherwise he was going to trip and fall on the way. :help:

Anyway...thanks to Darrell...AKA the "Swamp Thing"....we turned a 7 hour job into less than 4 hours of mowing.
Thanks bro...I appreciate it. :hello2:

He and I do a lot of "razzing" at each other...but it's all in good fun...and we both know it.

We didn't have time to go to his cabin site...but he did get us permission to hunt an older home built around 1920 or so...and it had NEVER been hunted.

I won't bore you with the details of each wheatie, injun' and silver find..but I will tell you that the shallowest coin I found was at 7". The rest were mostly from right at 8" deep with a couple from 9"...and one from 10".

My two big thrills of the day ended up being letdowns once I got home...but the thrill of not knowing...or thinking I possibly had something sweet....was worth the price of admission.

The big medal looking thing is what I thought at first was an old coin...possibly silver....inside one of those pendant coin holders which is worn from a chain.

It was over 9" down and found within 10 feet of a big old oak tree.

I didn't want to rub it...so I carefully placed it in my pouch to await cleaning when I got home. I truthfully thought I had a nice old coin of some kind inside an old bezel. :laughing9:

The 2nd find which almost caused a change of shorts :hello: ...was the beautiful dark brown Lincoln cent that came from 10" down.

I did not have my glasses with me...nor did I have them in the car...but I thought for sure it looked like it said 1914D. :headbang:

Hey...it's 90 degrees....I was excited from not hunting in over 3 weeks...I didn't have my glasses...AND I've never found a 1914D. ;D

Well...I STILL haven't...'cause once I got home and rubbed some dirt off...it clearly says 1918D. :dontknow:

You know what though...I honestly don't care because I have already found 2 key date coins this year.

The thought of thinking I had found 2 sweet items was still a thrill for me even though they turned out to NOT be what I was hoping for.

That's what it's all about for me...the thrill and excitement of what this hobby brings me. :icon_sunny:

I had no intention of actually getting to hunt...and had brought my detector with me the last 4 trips here without getting to even take it out of the trunk.

Thanks to Darrell...I was able to sneak in a 3 hour hunt...and regain some peace and solace to an otherwise very stressful last 3 weeks. :icon_sunny: THANKS AGAIN "Swamp Thing"

I ended up the day with a few wheaties....2 injuns'...2 mercs...an 1899 Barber dime...some trinket jewelry...and whatever that freakin' medallion thing is. :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

My buddy who was sporting the classy, sagging shorts :laughing9: did well too..ending up with a merc...and injun...and a few wheaties. :thumbsup:

The next morning I gave "The Yeti" a buzz and we agreed...we BOTH would do well to last more than 2 hours in the nasty heat and humidity. :notworthy:

Neither of us had hunted in 3 weeks...until I hunted with Darrell the day before....and the Yeti was itchin' to hunt.

We decided we would go to a site less than 30 miles away that we had hit 4 previous times when we were REALLY BORED. We had not found any silver here thus far...but had little time to work with because of the heat....so that's where we went. We were both determined to NOT give up on this place until we had pulled a silver out of it.

Well...after 1 1/2 hours...we were melting ;D ...the Yeti was thirsty ;D ...and there were no wild berries for him to graze on. :icon_scratch: Things looked grim here as usual...then I found a nice little hot spot. :thumbsup:

I popped out a 1964 Roosey from about 7" on edge...then a couple of wheaties. SWEET...now we know there's silver here. :headbang:

A few minutes later I hear a bellowing to my left so I turned and saw the Yeti......sweat pouring off of him...and he too had popped out a Roosey. :icon_thumleft:

About 10 minutes later I got the sweet hit I was hoping for...a deep warbler. :hello2: I called over the Yeti...and we both agreed...SILVER...and DEEP. :icon_thumleft:

A few minutes later I popped a nice old merc in the rusty, iron filled clod.. as you can see. :icon_thumleft: The dirt in the hole was all rusty looking and there were tiny iron particles everywhere. Gotta' love the explorers :hello2:

A very nice 2 hours for the Yeti and I from a site that had skunked us on silver the previous trips there. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

I ended up with 1 merc...a Roosey...and 4 wheaties...and the Yeti got the other roosey pictured...along with a few wheaties too.

Thanks for viewing everyone...and good luck hunting.

Attachments

• coins229.jpg
    coins229.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,276
  • coins230.jpg
    coins230.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,262
  • coins231.jpg
    coins231.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,266
  • coins232.jpg
    coins232.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,273
  • coins233.jpg
    coins233.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,233
  • coins234.jpg
    coins234.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • coins236.jpg
    coins236.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,256
  • coins235.jpg
    coins235.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,254
  • coins237.jpg
    coins237.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • coins238.jpg
    coins238.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,230
  • coins239.jpg
    coins239.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,257
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 3 Hours with "Swamp Thing"...then 2 hours with "The Yeti" in 95 degree heat

WTG I would take a 2 hour hunt like that any day of the week. Love that Merc :icon_thumleft:

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad to here you got out and congrats on some nice finds :thumbsup:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Short and sweet in the heat is a good thing Bryce!! :icon_thumright:
get the goodies, then go for a cool refresher in the
shade. Congrats on the silvers and the rest of the treasures.
Welcome back...... Gold Nuggets :hello:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I see you posting, I know you have something worthy of viewing. Ya never disappoint. You better be buying Swamp Thing a couple of beers for helping you do some mowing. Good, good stuff.
Carl

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53 said:
WTG I would take a 2 hour hunt like that any day of the week. Love that Merc :icon_thumleft:
Me too :icon_thumleft: 3 hours at the unhunted house site was a place I expected to find some goodies...but the site that skunked us before was the shocker for 2 hours.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
I see you posting, I know you have something worthy of viewing. Ya never disappoint. You better be buying Swamp Thing a couple of beers for helping you do some mowing. Good, good stuff.
Carl
Thanks Carl...I appreciate it. I definitely owe the Swamp Thing for helping me out.
He's a good feller'...and I don't ever forget it when someone does me a favor like that. It meant a lot to me.

gold nuggets said:
Short and sweet in the heat is a good thing Bryce!! :icon_thumright:
get the goodies, then go for a cool refresher in the
shade. Congrats on the silvers and the rest of the treasures.
Welcome back...... Gold Nuggets :hello:
Thanks G.N. It's good to be back even though I won't get much more hunt time anytime soon.
It was definitely a nice feeling to be diggin' again though. I miss it...but responsibilities are really adding up right now.

sscindercoop said:
Glad to here you got out and congrats on some nice finds :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy. It was nice to get a hunt in.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: wtg sounds like you an the wildlife had some good huntin

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT

wow

those are some sweet finds

way togo

wish i was digging that kind of old stuff

been awhile since i got some oldies

keep it up

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, the what ever it is, looks like some sort of a watch fob.

Man you could write a book if you hunted all day. LOL

Congrats to the both of you!!

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ringfinder said:
Nice finds, the what ever it is, looks like some sort of a watch fob.

Man you could write a book if you hunted all day. LOL

Congrats to the both of you!!

HH, Ringfinder
Thanks RingfinderIf I hunted all day in the heat..I would have passed out :laughing9:

Evan/tn said:
wow

those are some sweet finds

way togo

wish i was digging that kind of old stuff

been awhile since i got some oldies

keep it up
Thanks Evan. Keep on diggin' and the old stuff will come.

Tank69 said:
:icon_thumright: wtg sounds like you an the wildlife had some good huntin
Thanks Tank ;D We had some good hunting but The Yeti looked a bit parched..as well as a little hungry.
The SwampThing was a little out of sorts too because he had no water either :laughing7:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW - AWESOME hunt buddy!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

With the Yeti and the Swamp Thing and your attention to detail you guys have enough to make a pretty good B movie. Nice finds Bryce.
Chris

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Really nice finds. Its good to have friends that will help you out.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

I'd like a day like that!! great hunt!

kevin11

Mar 12, 2009
Bronson,Michigan
Detector(s) used
ace 250

WTG on your finds I always look forward to reading your post very interesting and you always seem to find lots of silver coins.Happy hunting.........Kevin

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good hunting Bryce :thumbsup: Those coins are sweeeet. Good to see you posting again.

Nat

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Good to hear from ya bryce!!!! nice hunt , Hope it cools down soon !!! so we can get to swingin again,,

sounds like ya had a good time except for the heat!! I think your gonna have to get some suspenders for your partner,, :laughing9:

have a good one !!!

arthur

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Great post, Bryce! Looks like some great finds from a couple of nice hunts!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sounds like the Swamp Thing is a great friend ! That's a find more rare than a seated! (I guess the drooping shorts made me draw that comparison... :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread