johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
like Scratcher's wonderful bullet mold he found today, this is something I'd hoped to find here eventually (actually had hoped for larger!). I went out for a little while to the spot (1680's) where I'd found the Rev War sword pommel a few weeks ago and hunted in very close to all metal with just a touch of discrimination. I dug this ball, which was also under the same layer of undisturbed oyster shell as the pommel. I'm assuming it's small cannon or grape shot, considering location near shore probably naval, from either Rev. War or War of 1812. I'd found objects from both wars here over the years, though there was light 1812 naval engagement within a half mile of this location making 1812 more probable. It's slightly less than 1 1/2" in diameter, and has the protrusion of a casting seam encircling it. Hopefully someone familiar with early caliber bore or grape shot diameter can identify it exactly. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• cannon ball.jpg
    cannon ball.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,209
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, but I am not sure they had grape shot in that era. :dontknow: It is cool whatever it is

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
" I think that's just iron run-off. "

Ha ha! touche :D

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thought you might want to see a picture of the ball after a day and a half of electrolysis. It measures one and a half inches, and the only weapon I can find that might have fired it is the British 1812-15 swivel gun which hasd a bore of 1 5/8th inches. It makes sense because there is a British military vessel of that period which was sunk a half mile from this location. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• cannon ball cleaned.jpg
    cannon ball cleaned.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 636

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Thought you might want to see a picture of the ball after a day and a half of electrolysis. It measures one and a half inches, and the only weapon I can find that might have fired it is the British 1812-15 swivel gun which hasd a bore of 1 5/8th inches. It makes sense because there is a British military vessel of that period which was sunk a half mile from this location. Thanks for looking.

I have a couple in that range that are different sizes. Just assume they are grapeshot... or maybe canister, haven't looked too deep into it. They don't offer much up against my French 12 pounder. ;D

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Patch. I would have said grape or cannister shot too had I found it anywhere else. Thing is, it was deep, and beneath a hard packed layer of untouched oyster shell where virtually every find was pre-civil war period. I haven't been able to find examples of grape shot of this large a diameter used prior to the Civil War, but maybe they did use it. Hopefully some expert knows.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Thanks Patch. I would have said grape or cannister shot too had I found it anywhere else. Thing is, it was deep, and beneath a hard packed layer of untouched oyster shell where virtually every find was pre-civil war period. I haven't been able to find examples of grape shot of this large a diameter used prior to the Civil War, but maybe they did use it. Hopefully some expert knows.

Mine are definitely pre CW period.

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Mine are definitely pre CW period."

As large as 1 1/2" ?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grape shot or canister shot, which one was the larger one? That's what I think it is in any event. Nice find. Monty

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Grape shot or canister shot, which one was the larger one? That's what I think it is in any event. Nice find. Monty

I believe canister is the larger of the two.

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Grape shot or canister shot, which one was the larger one? That's what I think it is in any event. Nice find. Monty"

Thanks Monty. You're kinder than you appear on television. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread