My First find!!!!

N

Nightf10182003

WOW! After waiting a week for the rain to stop to begin my new hobby of MDing. I unpacked my shiny new Whites Prism II, put it together...read the instructions and began my hunt. I immediatly got a strong signal for a quarter...which by the way, the salesman says the readout is VERY accurate. So I dig...and dig...and dig..and this is not soft ground..this is hard dirt and rock...so..after about 8 inches of digging, what do I find...but I nice crushed beer can! ARGH! Anyway...with all the bells and whistles, and directions, how do I tell how DEEP an object may be?

Upvote 0

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone says they do not dig up cans, pulltabs, or cut pieces of aluminum they are missing a lot of good finds. A trash/find ration of 50% is great, but you still dig 50 % trash.

Ed

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Dig it all!

The test garden is a great idea, it will allow you to get a feel for the size of the objects at various depths and more accurate than testing in air because you have the mineral content in the soil to overcome.

If you have kids, try this out:

Take a dozen or so targets and put them in large 8 1/2 by 11 envelopes and have the kids mix them up and see if you can figure out what each one is. My kids still love to play the envelope game! You'll be able to tell a can from a coin in no time.

Dudes

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nightf10182003 said:
WOW!? After waiting a week for the rain to stop to begin my new hobby of MDing.? I unpacked my shiny new Whites Prism II, put it together...read the instructions and began my hunt.? I immediatly got a strong signal for a quarter...which by the way, the salesman says the readout is VERY accurate.? So I dig...and dig...and dig..and this is not soft ground..this is hard dirt and rock...so..after about 8 inches of digging, what do I find...but I nice crushed beer can!? ARGH!? Anyway...with all the bells and whistles, and directions, how do I tell how DEEP an object may be??

Welcome....I have a Prizm III and love it, I have found the target ID to be extremely accurate on coins, although sometimes other round metal objects can trick the detector....one way to approximate depth is to slowly raise the coil over the target and note where the signal disappears (distance from top of ground to where signal disappears), then subtract that distance from about 8 inches or so (approximate maximum detection depth for coin sized objects), and the answer would then be approximate depth of coin sized target. This won't be an exact measurement, but it is a good indicator and will get you close, that is how I used to approximate depth with my BH Pioneer EX (Quick Silver) which didn't have a depth meter. If the target keeps beeping over a foot above the ground or more then it is a large target. Hope this helps!!

HH

OP
OP
N

Nightf10182003

Great Tip....and so obvious...you'd think that a man with a college degree could have figured that out by himself..but alas, The obvious just slapped me upside the head and says thank you.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby ! As you get more practice and learn your detector your finds will get better. Trash is just a necessary evil that comes with the hobby. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Huntin' 59er

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Welcome to this grand addiction NightF...I bought my dad a Prizm II for his birthday (85th), and spent a weekend with him teaching the finer points of MD'ing in November. Sadly, the Prizm II doesn't have any depth indicators but I did exactly what Nevrdun suggested. Raise the coil and deduct the space between the coil and ground from 8" when you lose the audio signal. Worked like a charm. You'll eventually get used to the strength of the signal and be able to give a good guess as to depth. No worries though. I don't think anyone on this site, that got a good signal from a deep can, wouldn't dig well below their depth indication just to be sure. You never know when you may be reading the lid on an old mason jar full of silver and gold coins! ;D By the way, My dad got a 1943S war nickel his first day out. 30% silver you know. You picked a good machine. Have faith and keep swinging that thing!!!~CO2

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hello Night!

I'm not exactly in your immediate area, but not too far either. 3 hours or so...in Thomasville Ga.

All I can say is that the more you use that machine, the more you'll find with it and the better you'll understand it. Anyone can turn on a detector and find something, but the guy with experience will find that gold ring in the first guy's footstep. Fortunately, building up that experience is a lot of fun!

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Congrats on your first find. I'm sure when we all started, our first finds were either beer cans or tabs. Its a start, you will soon figure it out. But like was said...DIG IT ALL...you never know whats there, or what just might be inside that can. Good luck with future digs.

Ken

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and welcome, all you need to do is become familiar with your detector. My XLT will show cans at o depth most of the time, but when in doubt you dig it!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be environmently friendly,get rid of the trash and the treasure will come.good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread