My First find!!!!

N

Nightf10182003

WOW! After waiting a week for the rain to stop to begin my new hobby of MDing. I unpacked my shiny new Whites Prism II, put it together...read the instructions and began my hunt. I immediatly got a strong signal for a quarter...which by the way, the salesman says the readout is VERY accurate. So I dig...and dig...and dig..and this is not soft ground..this is hard dirt and rock...so..after about 8 inches of digging, what do I find...but I nice crushed beer can! ARGH! Anyway...with all the bells and whistles, and directions, how do I tell how DEEP an object may be?

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

The read out was accurate, many people dig and find cans. It is always best to dig your signals. Later

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
After a while you will get the feel, as you pinpoin that quarter it sure spans a wide margin HMMM, pass it up? not dig, you will see some post here that they almost did not dig and when they did wow!
a lot of us just DIG IT ALL!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Congrats on your first find! I was waiting to see what it would be....haha...so now ?be prepared to dig about a thousand more of those....and it will always be as exciting as the 1st !!!!

OP
OP
N

Nightf10182003

Do not get discouraged, do not get discouraged, do not get discouraged...hehe... think I'll hit the beach on saturday....with the winter sun, that's the only time I can go when the Jaguars have a home game on sunday....too dark by the time I get off work.

OP
OP
N

Nightf10182003

OH...and nobody has answered the depth question....is there any way to tell....

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
Nightf10182003 said:
OH...and nobody has answered the depth question....is there any way to tell....

no you have answered it, can at 8",
it's all relitive, as you use your machine you will answer it yourself, there is no real rule, my 2cts

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depth question. Depth is computed by the unit on the basis of an average coin size ( between a quarter and nickel). An object larger will appear as a shallower find and a smaller object as a deeper find. I think I got that right. My advice for anyone with a new detector is make a coin test garden. This will help you get used to your detector and demostate depth and size. Type in Coin Test Garden, Coin garden, or something similar in a search block on the NET and check out the results. Good luck.

Ed

OP
OP
N

Nightf10182003

You guys are awfully helpful...why couldn't I get this kind of advice on life when I was growing up..hehe. Thanks for the tips. So Depth is like a family reunion..all relative...and size of object doesn't matter, it is just the depth of the hole...gotcha..I'm learning. lol Anybody here in my area? Jacksonville, Fl?

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
Im still waiting for my 1st find ;) My ace 250 is in the mail as of yesterday and I will perform the test garden sugestion. I have also been told by my new tecting buddy that objects that are larger i.e. cans, will apprear shallower than they really are cause they are bigger than coins. Pending on your machine you might in the future try all metal setting to see if the dept changes, that is if you have it set on coin. This is really just me thinking cause I am very new to this. CONGRATS on your 1st find!! nomatter what it turned out to be!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all!!!

Especially all the + signs. You never really know what you are going to get!

;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure hunting is the same no matter how big or small the treasure.

We start out optimistic but by the end of the day we tend to be a bit discouraged and depressed. But by the time of the next hunt we're ready to have at it again.

Today a crashed beer can, tomorrow a gold ring!

Some people claim the thrill is in the hunt, not so much the find. It's not that way with me. The thrill for me is that adrenaline rush I feel when a good find pops out of the ground or shows in my scoop. Those few seconds are worth a lot of bummer times.

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
I'm new at this. My back still hurts from digging all those plugs in frozen grass at the park. But I agree with most these guys. I dig it all. I don't want that one piece of history slipping through my fingers. Besides. If you take out the trash this time it won't be there again waiting for you. A little advice. Stretch those muscles before an all day hunt....HH ;D

R

rvbvetter

Idealy, the way to not miss anything. Is to dig everything.
But I don't have the pateince to do it. So I leave it to those that do.
A way to tell if it's a coin or can signal, is that if the signalis wider than your coil. FRom where the sgnal starts to where it end's. then it's a can. A coins signal with be the size of your coil or smaller. HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already am aware of all the advice given and I still dig up those darn cans! Their signal is just so darn attractive I am afraid I am going to miss something good! That just goes with the territory. I am not familiar with your detector but unless it's an underwater PI unit it should have somethng that estimates the depth of your target. Read and reread and read again your manual and you will probably discover somethng new or something will click that you missed the first time. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Monty

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I noticed on the Prism II's spec sheet, it does not have a depth gage/meter... When using a machine without a depth meter, it's all in what you hear, you'll have to learn how the machine reads different targets, at different depths... All detectors get fooled sometimes, no matter the cost of the unit...

A good example of, " You never really know what the target is until you dig it", can be seen on this post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,22686.0.html

My machine, A CZ3D made by Fisher, had been getting fooled by deep iron targets all day, but there was the sound of silver in my head set, but also the sound of a big piece of metal. I almost give up on this target before I finally reached it at a depth of 10" deep...

Practice, Practice, and more practice, is the key... Even then you will never know until you dig it...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

liverpoolfc

Oct 9, 2005
liverpool, uk
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus and a Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i only disc out iron and dig everything else.
i'm not going to be the one to leave the purse full of coins for the next guy just because i thought it might be a can.
also,if you don't dig the ringpulls then you won't dig the gold rings.

good luck :)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have one Question ! Was it a Miller or Budweiser? that can make a big difference...lol Not realy! I think everyone in this forum has had the heart pumping sometime when digging a signal and to only be disapointed with the cruched tin can...just remember to check the hole after you remove the tin can....their may be something else!!!!!!!!!! :o Good Luck - Seeker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread