1.5 hours and an interesting find dated 1585...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a night hunt for about 1.5 hours this evening. The temps were a little warmer, 3C/38F with very little wind so it made for a nice hunt. Detected a new field near the area where I?ve found my oldest coins, dug lots of trash and a few interesting keepers. Here?s the finds: a belt hook that would have been sewn into the back of a military coat to keep the belt from sagging, probably pre WWI. A smooth copper coin and three lead seals. The left lead seal has crossed swords on it, I can?t make out the writing on it, the middle shows a nice crown and the right seal is also hard to make out the writing.
47b5cc33b3127cce958f2963a70500000016108AYsWjhy5cta

This was my last target and I was very happy to think I found a coin from 1585 in very nice condition. After cleaning it up a bit, it looks more like a religious pendant. Showed it to my wife and she thinks it was tacked onto a burial urn after a cremation, kind of freaky. The hole is at the wrong side if it were a pendant for a necklace and it would have hung upside down obverse or reverse. Note the flames above the date, the middle symbol looks like an urn but a closer look at it seems to be an hour glass. This is the obverse, the reverse is really interesting.
47b5cc33b3127cce958f2956260000000016108AYsWjhy5cta

On the reverse is a saying, ?Der Mensch In Paradis Gottes Gebot Vorlis Der Kam Der Tot Gewis? translated as best I can ?The Human In Paradise God Read The Commandments (as in the ten commandments) Death Will Surely Come?. A little freaky but a very nice find. Please offer your opinion. Hard to say what it really is and seems to be in too good of condition for the year 1585. It is a little bigger than an American Quarter. Thanks for looking and HH, Mike
47b5cc33b3127cce958f2959a73f00000016108AYsWjhy5cta

Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome coin,
And we here think something from the 1800's is old.
Nice going!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Mike, I noticed you come up with great finds in very short periods of time. Is it location or part luck? Keep up the great detecting. :) :) :) Stan

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is awesome Mike!! You seem to always know what it is you find, maybe its worth some major bucks since you don't know what it is.....congrats

hh

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
Wild finds Mike. ?Why hunt at night? ?Here in Florida I wouldn't consider going out in 38F weather. ?On ?second thought I might if I could find somthing from the 16th century. ?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Always something good!!!

;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very interesting finds, as usual Mike,,, WTG!!!
Good luck on a positive ID, & Happy hunting~

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing as always Mike.! ;)

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Nice finds Mike...Just some quick impressions after staring at the last coin for a while. I always have a hard time believing that an object that has detail on both obverse and reverse was mounted to anything. The holes in old coins have always puzzled me too. If you were going to wear something as an ornament, wouldn't you make sure that you put the hole where the object would hang correctly? As for the quote, I was getting a "Garden of Eden" impression from that. Eden was God's paradise wherein Adam and Eve could live eternally. Thanks to original sin, they got booted out and sealed the fate of the human race...A limited time to live. Great conversation item as so many of your finds are. Good luck with a definite ID. Good Hunting~CO2 ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread