1800 Draped Bust Dime!!!!!!!!!!!!

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hello all.......I cannot believe what I found tonight!!!!!.........well, let me back up 3 years to let you know how I ended up swinging a loop where I did after work tonight......my brother works with a guy who happens to own about 500 acres of hay fields (all neatly divided by old stone walls) in Western Mass. (The Beautiful Berkshires)

He learned of our hobby and said (3 years ago) to help yourself to checking out my fields anytime you want and we hit the fields hard for the first year with only a Buffalo nickel to show for our efforts. The next year (2007) I took a friend of mine out into the very middle of one field and completely out of the blue we found 3 Large Cents within about 10 feet of each other (1801,1803 Draped Bust and a really nice 1787 NJ Copper)........and so we POUNDED that one particular field for the rest of that summer and NOTHING else. I mean literally coming home with clean hands.

I did not even hit these fields at all last year and then last week, lacking for a new place to go, I decided to back to the "Large Cent Field"........this time something caught my eye near the edge of the field.......it was 4 square field stones, in the shape of a square (maybe a 20x20 shack, house, cabin, who knows?......and this "foundation" was about 200 feet from where the Large Cents came from.......so I start focusing on this area and I immediately get an 1906 Indian Head at about 4 inches and then 5 feet from that I get a quarter signal (+87 on my XLT) also at 4 inches and I was THRILLED to pull out an 1918-s Standing Liberty Quarter........it's been a REALLY slow year for me and this was only my 6th silver all year........so yes, I was VERY HAPPY!

Was thinking about that spot all week and finally got a chance to go back tonight and grid out a larger area, moving away from the 4 stones, getting closer to the spot where the large cents came from........with clean hands and daylight going away fast I was really just roaming around a little, getting ready to head home when I get a +74/+75 reading and when I checked the depth it was coming up around 5 inches.........hmmmm......that's a deep Wheat Cent I thought and dug my plug..................it fell right out of the very bottom of my plug into my hands.........thought I had Spanish silver at first until I saw "Liberty"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........knew exactly what it was and with trembling hands and knees somehow drove home..........This is my very best find of my life and I am sooooo happy to be able to share it with you all!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple questions and please feel free to chime in with any grade and/or value you may think.......I am thinking Fine but that is really just a guess.........and does anyone see something odd with the "18" in the date......maybe a re-cut die?.........also, are Draped Bust Dimes attributed like other coins? I'm very curious if someone can put a rarity or variety number on this.........thank you all for reading this and looking at the pics, may you all stumble across something like this very soon.

HH all!

Greg
(yes, I'm going back to that field in the morning :-)

Attachments

• 1800 reversedirty.JPG
    1800 reversedirty.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 4,844
  • 1800drapedbustobv2.JPG
    1800drapedbustobv2.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 4,831
  • 1800drapedbustobv3 .JPG
    1800drapedbustobv3 .JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 4,783
  • 1800drapedbustobv.JPG
    1800drapedbustobv.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 4,742
  • 1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 4,825
  • 1800reversedirty.JPG
    1800reversedirty.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 4,748
  • 1800reverseclean.JPG
    1800reverseclean.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 4,737
Upvote 19

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Neil in West Jersey said:
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on a super find! Don't know much about the value of a ground found silver like that but there are two varieties for that year, one a R4 and one a R5, yours appears to be the R4 rarity, known as a JR-1. I think it has Very Fine details and if graded I bet it would get that for details but come back with the Environmental damage or improper cleaning, so it would be knocked down for value I am sure. But, that is only if you are thinking of selling it and heck, such a beautiful find of your collecting career, enjoy the coin for as long as you can!

Don

Congrats and you have my vote for the banner. I don't recall seeing a dime older than the 1820's posted here for quite some time. That is truly the find of a lifetime!!

There have been some changes at NGS as far as grading. This was in the last newsletter:

Coins that previously would have been returned ungraded by NGC, as so-called "No Grades," will now be assigned a Details Grade that accords with their level of surface wear, such as VG DETAILS or XF DETAILS, when submitted for grading. Coins that have no wear but still display a problem surface condition will be labeled as UNC DETAILS or, in the case of Proof coins, simply PROOF. Following the Details Grade will be a description of the noteworthy surface condition, including, for example, Improperly Cleaned, Artificial Color, Environmental Damage and Tooled. A detailed guidebook available in hard copy and on NGC's Web site, called Understanding NGC Details Grading, will define all the terms used by NGC to describe these surface conditions.

I hope this helps!
Neil

I found this 1811/9 Capped Bust dime in March. I also believe one guy found a 1795 Flowing Hair this year. It made the banner, too.

1811_Dime 006.JPG
1811_Dime 009.JPG

Attachments

• 1811_Dime 006.JPG
    1811_Dime 006.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 3,908
  • 1811_Dime 009.JPG
    1811_Dime 009.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,895

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
This coin ain't on the banner yet? :o :o :o ;D
Amazing!!! Congrats on the find of a lifetime! :thumbsup:
You lucky M*#%&@#*^#*R!!!! :wink: :D ;D

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find for sure - BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!!! You sir definitely deserve the rarely seen "Thumb Rocket!!!!"
My vote for banner is in as well!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I am definitely surprised this isn't on the banner yet ~ Whats going on MOD's???

Attachments

• thumb_rocket.jpg
    thumb_rocket.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 3,876

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on a super find! Don't know much about the value of a ground found silver like that but there are two varieties for that year, one a R4 and one a R5, yours appears to be the R4 rarity, known as a JR-1. I think it has Very Fine details and if graded I bet it would get that for details but come back with the Environmental damage or improper cleaning, so it would be knocked down for value I am sure. But, that is only if you are thinking of selling it and heck, such a beautiful find of your collecting career, enjoy the coin for as long as you can!

Don

Congrats and you have my vote for the banner. I don't recall seeing a dime older than the 1820's posted here for quite some time. That is truly the find of a lifetime!!

There have been some changes at NGS as far as grading. This was in the last newsletter:

Coins that previously would have been returned ungraded by NGC, as so-called "No Grades," will now be assigned a Details Grade that accords with their level of surface wear, such as VG DETAILS or XF DETAILS, when submitted for grading. Coins that have no wear but still display a problem surface condition will be labeled as UNC DETAILS or, in the case of Proof coins, simply PROOF. Following the Details Grade will be a description of the noteworthy surface condition, including, for example, Improperly Cleaned, Artificial Color, Environmental Damage and Tooled. A detailed guidebook available in hard copy and on NGC's Web site, called Understanding NGC Details Grading, will define all the terms used by NGC to describe these surface conditions.

I hope this helps!
Neil

Neil,

My brother found an 1811/1809 Capped Bust dime this year. It was a thrill to see it dropped in my hand.

Kirk

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk PA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

I hope this helps!
Neil

Neil,

My brother found an 1811/1809 Capped Bust dime this year. It was a thrill to see it dropped in my hand.

Kirk

I just wrote that above yours, bro. Folks, I guess you can say that identical twins think the same. :laughing9:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is not enough to simply reply with the words "Banner."

Folks, you have to hit the "Nominate post for Banner" button on the left hand side of the original post up top.

C'mon, let's get this up top!

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thanks Buck, if I make the banner, great, if not, they still can't take my coin away :-)

As an update, I pounded that area of the field for 4 hours today and came away with 2 very old buckles, a very old flat button and a musket ball (my friend thought .30 caliber?)........and then my batteries died.......heading back again in about an hour to give it another go........

also, could you all take another look at the date of my coin in the cleaned picture..........do you see a "17" to the left of the "18"?........it was a date transition year and that may be one of the 2 varieties that Don mentioned.........whatta think?

I will post pics of the field , buckles and what-nots later tonight.......thank you all again for your kind words.

HH all!

Greg

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Greg, I believe there is actually a FULL date under the 1800. Definitely see what appears to be another 7 on top and through the first 0. What variety would this be?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
1235CE said:
Thanks Buck, if I make the banner, great, if not, they still can't take my coin away :-)

As an update, I pounded that area of the field for 4 hours today and came away with 2 very old buckles, a very old flat button and a musket ball (my friend thought .30 caliber?)........and then my batteries died.......heading back again in about an hour to give it another go........

also, could you all take another look at the date of my coin in the cleaned picture..........do you see a "17" to the left of the "18"?........it was a date transition year and that may be one of the 2 varieties that Don mentioned.........whatta think?

I will post pics of the field , buckles and what-nots later tonight.......thank you all again for your kind words.

HH all!

Greg
now that you mentioned it..there does look like there may be a 7 thunder /beside the 8

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find...congrats.

My banner vote is in.

NJ

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner all the way WTG :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing but die irregularities which is on others I have looked at. Y'all seeing something I am not. It is a JR-1 variety if the Eagle's beak is not touching the star 12, on JR-2 variety the Eagle's beak touches star 12. Obverses are the same for both varieties.

Don

Attachments

• 1800drapedbustobvdateclose.jpg
    1800drapedbustobvdateclose.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,660

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Beautiful! Congrats Greg!!

Truly a once in a lifetime find and I am sure everyone on here appreciates you sharing it with us. That is what makes this such a great hobby.

The value put on this coin is great, but just imagine the historical significance this one little round piece of silver holds. Man, what stories she holds!!

This one simple piece of history is what motivates the rest of us to carefully search out the oldest parts of where we live and save history one target at a time!

I'm new on this forum and have never voted for what is called a banner find but I have seen the tab and I will be pushing it. You absolutely deserve it!!!!!

Thanks again for sharing!

Ironman!

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What can I say besides Congradulations on the find. What a thrill it must have been. HH.....

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
HOLY CRAP !!!! I dont think that I have seen a Draped Bust Dime on TN before.

I am drooling right now............

VPR

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner. Frankly, it would be Un-American to not do so. I agree with BuckleBoy, a change of underwear would have been on my to do lists if I dug that. Congratulations!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread