Dug a semi key date barber quarter at old farm today! 5 silvers in all!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day started off bad, Marty (Nonickels) and I were supposed to hunt a yard where the guy stripped off all his sod and tilled it all up, several silver and indians have been found here already. When we arrived, the company was there replanting so we were out of luck! :'(

So I asked Marty if he'd rather hunt a house in town or an old farm, we'd go knock doors. He said lets hit an old farm..........so off we went to the county. :tongue3:

I spotted a run down home that looked abandoned so we stopped at the neighbors to inquire if they knew the owners. Well we talked a bit and we got on the subject of just detecting her yard instead and boy am I glad we did!!, she said she had lived there 60 years and nothing was ever lost in her yard, but we were free to check anyhow. I love when they say that :hello2:
...........here is the house.

S6303397.jpg

anyhow the yard was so clean unlike most farms that are covered in iron. Very first target was a merc dime. Next target was the washington and rosie in same hole, then a wheat, then another....etc..........then I get a real deep and SOLID from all directions quarter signal, my depth meter was buried. I cut a HUGE plug and started digging, about 8" down I saw silver. I saw the reverse of the barber and called Marty over, and said hey come here and check this signal out. he walks over looks in the hole.....lol it was priceless the look on his face when he saw that barber 8" down laying perfectly flat in the bottom of the hole! :thumbsup:

1909O semi key date 712,000 minted. What do you think it grades?

After calming down from that excitement, I nabbed one more merc dime to make it a 5 silver day!

Also found this larger silver colored disk with oriental design, not sure what it is? anyone? Also found this stick that looks like it is made of bone, any ideas on that one as well?

9-01-09.jpg

5silver9-01-09.jpg

5silverreverse9-01-09.jpg

1909-OBarber.jpg

mysteryitem.jpg

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: sweet finds

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Nice hunt! Looks like that quarter would grade Fine to me, but hard to tell by pics alone. Nice recoveries! WTG

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver haul there congrats.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Terry, when you finish cleaning out all the goodies up there, don't even think of coming down here! :laughing7: Way to go on the tough Barber!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have made some great recoveries there. :icon_thumleft: That looks like a beautiful site to hunt and you already have great finds. I would bring in a backhoe and see what else is there :tongue3:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on that great hunt....

I found one of those Oriental covers on 8-2-09

I think it's cool looking so I kept mine.

Attachments

• 8-2-09 Finds 010.jpg
    8-2-09 Finds 010.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 407
  • 8-2-09 Finds 010.jpg
    8-2-09 Finds 010.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 410

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I grade the quarter VG-8. The letters in LIBERTY are not strong enough to merit a Fine grade. The 1909-o quarter has gotten a lot of attention from collectors lately, and is now considered the 4th toughest Barber quarter to find in nice, uncleaned VF, XF or AU condition. Only the 1896-S, 1901-S, and 1913-S key dates are considered more difficult. The 1909-o is still a tough coin to locate in VG, and many collectors are looking for one. Great find!

Big A

Mar 28, 2009
Southport, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Nice finds. Gotta love those old houses. The stick looks like those things ladies used to put in their hair to keep it up. Most of the time I think they came in sets of two. The silver cover looks like the top to a cosmetic/make up tin or possible a pill box.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt bro!!!! It looks like a VG - F to me!!!!! BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread