ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
military items washing up shore near mayport, fla -local park has area "closed"

humm seems that the US Navy dumped some military stuff "overboard" offshore and that the recent
high tides and waves are "uncovering" the deed --so far nothing special --just old sillverware and a few zippos and a few navy type marlin spike / knive combo items & other oddbit items

the local newspaper was thinkiing it was WW2 era stuff and said that it was likely they would never know how it got there ---- boy their lame at research--in the story was a photo of 2 military type zippo lighter of the type sold in the ships store onboard many military vessels -- one in the story had "AD 27" YELLOWSTONE --that upon me researching a bit -- I found out she was not commisioned until Jan 16th, 1946 and was decommissioned on Sept 11th, 1974 --- and it seems that ON July 1st of 1970 her homeport was CHANGED FROM "mayport , florida" TO CHARLESTON, SC

the second one iis DD 860 Mc CAFFERY==COMMISIONED JULY 26th, 1945 ---decommissioed --SEPT 30th, 1973 .

since the Yellowstone left mayport as her home port on july 1st of 1970 * for charleston , SC and the Mc Caffery was decommiosioned on sept 30th ,1973 *the latest"common" date range IN MAYPORT would be say about July of 1970 .

just cross match when the two vessels were both at mayport . florida --since the trash contains both vessels lighters , :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: military items washing up shore near mayport, fla -local park has area "closed"

Cool research Ivan! Too bad that treasure you researched is full of red government tape, I wish you luck with that, any news about it? HH, Mike

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: military items washing up shore near mayport, fla -local park has area "closed"

the state of florida's "just say no" permit policy hasn't changed one bit, sadly .

trust me there is nothing more annoying than knowing exactly where a good bit of treasure is but not being able to legally " harvest" it due to some govt BS and pencil pusher types ,---its like having a constant itch that will not go away that you can't scratch --times 100

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess in FL you just have to wait for something to wash up, then pocket it without being seen. :laughing9:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

oh "on the beach" --from water line to dune foot is fair game * except in ths case because the military wants to find out exactly who "dumped" it and thus who has to "clean it up"-heck I say just let the local metal detectorist at and they will "clean it up" fer free -- I bet. :wink: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions