🥇 BANNER 1782 COLONIAL SPANISH 2 REALES

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Civil, Ty, MM, Kirk, Kyle, Buck, Nana, and all my other friends :wink: Got out today with Willoughby Smitty, a friend of mine. We had decided to go and try a previously untried area to see if we could start off the pre-autumn/autumn season right. The first place we went was literally in a nearly impenetrable wall of jungle that we struggled to walk through...and on top of that the sky decided to let holy hell loose and before you knew it we were soaked with stickers in us....the perfect beginning to any detecting day ;D ;D So after about an hour of scanning with no luck.... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: and a long walk back to the truck :walk: we were contemplating lunch and maybe heading to the house :dontknow: HOWEVER, never ones to be deterred by rain and ONE bad spot, we decided to go visit a friend on a whim to see if he was home (being as it was a Holiday) and he WAS :icon_thumleft: He told us about some acreage that he had found some modern silver on i.e. Rosies, Mercs, Quarters, etc and that we ought to give it a shot :laughing7: :laughing7: And we said why the heck not..

Upon arriving at the spot, I dug immediately 9 modern copper cased bullets and a modern slug all in about 5 minutes. :-\ :-\ These copper casings make the detector scream as you know so when I got a similar signal right next to these I figured that it would be another one of these modern copper jackets.......well boy was I wrong! :laughing7:

I pinpointed it and popped a plug about 4 inches deep and out popped a disc........it looked like a large dandy flat button at first from the dirt buildup on it.....but as it rolled down the dirt plug and fell over I saw the 'COLUMNS OF GIBRALTAR" staring at me :o and I knew that it was a Reale. It is a Colonial Spanish 2 Reales Mexico Mint! So very unexpected in this spot which made it all the more better and in STUNNING condition. I've dug other Reales but not a 2 Reales. I've dug a couple nice hammered 1/2 Reale Cobs in great shape, several Pieces of Eight, and a couple 1 Reales but this one was the best out of them simply because it was unexpected in the ground we were hunting. In general, there have been alot of Reales come out of this general area but I just wasn't expecting it in this particular patch that we were hunting.

icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: Needless to say I was happy, my hunting partner for the day Josh (Willoughby Smitty) was excited, and our friend who gave us permission to hunt was thrilled. I'm just thankful that I had some friends there to share it with as that's SO MUCH BETTER than being by yourself and finding a nice relic. Good finds and good friends to share it with is what its all about! :occasion14:

Thanks to Chip! Another relic hunter like us and a genuinely STAND UP fella! I'm glad to now call him a friend as well as Josh.. Thanks bud aka CANNON MAN :wink: :wink: :wink:

P.S. Found some other silver coins-----a Rosie, and a War Nickel....ill post them tomorrow if anyone wants to see them......also got a KILLER case of trench feet from the waterlogged boots I was in for 8 hours today...OUCH >:(
MD Pics 060.jpg

PHOTOS ARE IN SUCCESSION FROM FIRST DUG, TO MIDDLE OF CLEANING, TO FINISHED PRODUCT (I LEFT SOME OF THE PATINA ON IT TO SHOW THE DUG STATE THE COIN WAS FOUND IN

These photos are from fresh out of the ground:
MD Pics 062.jpg
MD Pics 064.jpg

Halfway Point:
MD Pics 068.jpg
MD Pics 070.jpg

Finished Product:
P1010713.JPG
P1010714blackwhite.jpg

HERE ARE SOME SIZE COMPARISONS WITH A QUARTER:

Attachments

• P1010728.JPG
    P1010728.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,611
  • P1010729.JPG
    P1010729.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 1,591
Upvote 0

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I have dug two 2 reales.

Quite a thrill to pop one isn't it?!!

Nice!!!!!!

Mark S.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark S. said:
I have dug two 2 reales.

Quite a thrill to pop one isn't it?!!

Nice!!!!!!

Mark S.

I've dug other Reales but not a 2 Reales. I've dug a couple nice hammered Cobs, several Pieces of Eight, and a 1 Reale but this one was the best out of them simply because it was unexpected in the ground we were hunting. In general, there have been alot of Reales come out of this general area but I just wasn't expecting it in this particular patch that we were hunting.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
She's a beauty!
.9027 fine; 28mm; Mexico City mint; "FF" assayer
Great find!

Thanks Bud :wink:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful find wtg :icon_thumright:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh,
You lucky #@&%$!!!! ;D What a great looking coin! :thumbsup: I'm sure you never expecting digging a 2 reales that day.
Well deserved after having to go through the briars & rain earlier. :wink:
Great picture of Josh & Josh too. He must be about 7' tall. ;D
Great job buddy. I'm impressed.
-Doug-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job Buddy....Very sweet coin.See you at the DIV :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is in great shape. Wish it were mine! ;D Congrats....Hogge :headbang:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good'' Real de a dos'' and in good condition ... congrats! :notworthy:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what good hunt you had :icon_thumleft: I loved seeing the cleanup process on the Reale :headbang:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post.....have experienced the sky opening up urrrrrr down. And the briars, although here in S. Korea, usually thorns.
And then the unexpected.....a great, well-deserved coin. Go do it again (but you don't have to do the rain and stickers again,
if you don't feel like it. :tongue3:) :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One nice pretty 2 Reale, I know that had to make your day! Congrats........

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats more like it :icon_thumright: As you know, I'm still looking :notworthy:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't mind one of them myself :o but not much chance of one over here :'(

Nice coin :notworthy: supprised no-body has nominated it for BANNER :thumbsup:

SS.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Beautiful two reales there, Sentinel! :headbang: Keep on swinging with your passion, brotha! There are more Spanish silvas to be found by a great relic hunter named Josh Silva! :laughing9: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread