Found my First Barber Dime - 1914

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Went up to the house of a friend that was built by his family in the 1800's. I had hunted there in the past with the stock coil on my DFX, but this was my first time hunting with my new 4x6DD. What a difference that coil makes. After finding a clad quarter, I dug a 1944 wheat, then a few more clad pennies. I made my way along the front sidewalk and got another solid dime/penny reading at 3". I dug my plug and out popped my first barber dime. The amount of detail and its overall condition leads me to believe that this dime was probably dropped shortly after it was in circulation. I rinsed it under the spigot to get the loose dirt off of it, but nothing more. It has a full LIBERTY on the front and you can see the corn kernals, wheat, and viens in the leaves on the back.

I found a couple more wheats (1911 & 1938) as I moved toward the end of the walkway. I will definately be heading back there soon.

-Wardster

Attachments

• 7-Sep-09 Finds.jpg
    7-Sep-09 Finds.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 440
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Better pictures of the dime.

-Wardster

Attachments

• 1914 Barber Front.JPG
    1914 Barber Front.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 380
  • 1914 Barber Back.JPG
    1914 Barber Back.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 374

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Wardster, very nice barber!! ATA-BOY for the first!! Its got a little bit of circulation, but not much. If I was you, I would make it back to that site too. Looks like it has potential. 8)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to agree with Johnny Ringo Silver there, that site looks to have great potential and I would hit it again, and again. :icon_thumleft: That is one great looking dime, it looks like it was lost soon after leaving the mint :headbang:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great first!!!! Its SUPER sharp, BigTime Congrats!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Congrats!

My first silver was an 1906 O Barber! I was hooked for life!

Kinda hard to describe that feeling when you pull that out of the hole, isn't it?

Good Luck!

Mark

OP
OP
W

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thanks for the responses. The first two silver dimes I found were both located in the back yard of a rental property I own that was built in the mid-1800's. I did not know that I had a seated coin until I got it home and saw the outline of Liberty. I have also found a couple silver Rosie's, so I have dimes covered from the mid-1800's until the 1950's. All I need now is a draped bust and a capped bust and my dimes will be complete. Here's a pic of three of the four that I have already.

-Wardster

Attachments

• Silver Dimes.JPG
    Silver Dimes.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 276

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting