USA Revolutionary War Button

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Hi All! Now that the busy summer is over I'm able to get back out again here and there and try to catch up for lost time...

I went back to the site I obtained in the Spring that produced my 1747 1/2 Reale and 1796 Liberty Cap Cent in hopes of finding more great Colonial treasures....and boy did I hit the jackpot this time!!

The grass in the field is pretty tall right now, so I asked the land owner if I could detect the small piece of mowed property that sits directly across from the 1762 farmhouse...and he graciously obliged. Instantly I began digging Colonial artifacts..flat buttons, suspender buckles, and the center of a Colonial shoe buckle were just some of the items laying in wait.

As I approached the end of the property, the land owner came out to see what I had dug. He was impressed and congratulated me on all my finds, but then told me that the area I was about to scan was the site of his grandparents 50th wedding anniversary party a few years earlier, so I may only find newer coins and garbage left over from the party goers. I thanked him for his time and went back to work as he walked away.

About 10 minutes after his departure, I received a +24 hit at 2.5". Definitely a nickel from the party....or so I thought. As I dug the plug and flipped it over, I was surprised to see a greyish flat button with a perfect shank fall back into the hole. And even more surprised when I flipped the button over and saw the letters 'USA' staring me in the face from under the 230+ yr. old soil that clinged to it!!! I said 'no way...NO WAY'!!

She's in great shape for being in the ground so long...and anyone who has dug pewter items knows that this is a metal that flakes and wears on the edges very easily in the ground.

I have read Albert's book of Military buttons many times...and have graced the first few pages of the book many a time yearning for to one day dig such an important piece of Our Nations History. What a great day this was, and what a great machine my XLT is.

This is definitely one of my best finds of all time. :)

Thanks for looking and HH,
~Hank 8)

Attachments

• USA Revolutionary War Button-resized.JPG
    USA Revolutionary War Button-resized.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,138
  • USA Revolutionary War Button-rear-resized.JPG
    USA Revolutionary War Button-rear-resized.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,033
  • USA Revolutionary War Button-Cleaned-resized.JPG
    USA Revolutionary War Button-Cleaned-resized.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,379
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad for you, I fear my first one will be the typical rotted one with just a percentage of the letters visible, your USA looks great! Congrats :hello2:

Don

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Full USA!!! That is a real beauty! I don't need to tell you that this is on many MD want lists, mine included!

Congrats. Like I said in an earlier post today, there have been so many great finds posted lately and not all can make the banner, but I would love to see this one up there.

:icon_thumleft: WTG! :icon_thumright:
Neil

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
That is so awesome. What a great piece of US history.

That USA really jumps out. Just beautiful....

I can certainly picture that up on the Banner !!!!

Congrats...

Brian in MA

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Wow!!!! Congrats. I have never seen a button like that. :hello2:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Hank, and to have the shank intact as well! As Don said, these are miserably hard to find in decent condition. I've only found one in thirty eight years, a G14 R4 where the entire rim had crumbled away with only the center number remaining. I'll vote banner on this one (and hope to see a gold cufflink, a cob, and a Rev War button up there soon!) :hello2: :thumbsup:

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
CZ 7 pro quick silver CZ 70 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!!!!! :notworthy: :wav:

USA :occasion17: Still Standing Proudly after all this time :clock:

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it!!!! I hope someday there is one in my future. Congrats on a spectacular find!!!!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome piece of Rev. War History. Congratulations! Hogge :notworthy:

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow :o that is awsome its no wonder that we never find any revy stuff done here because most of all of it has completly rotted away, its a shame but thats how it goes, congrats on a beautiful button :headbang:

Cw

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
"USA...USA...WE WON...WE WON!!!" I can still hear those brave Rev War patriots whooping it up in the local tavern and yelling, with a mug of grog in one hand, "WE WON...WE WON!!!" :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang:

I can't wait for the day when one of those babies pop out of the ground. :headbang: You will hear my Colonial yelp all the way to Mars. :laughing9:

Keep swinging on that Rev War turf with the passion! :headbang:

Kyle

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one outstanding find. Banner. You have got to love that XLT, i know i do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread