Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAR OF 1812 ARTILLERY PLATE! >>UPDATE PHOTO AFTER CLEANING<<

The first 2 hrs of my hunt were spent not finding a cellar hole from a plat map. I gave up and went back to my well hunted favorite site an early American gone by the time my 1902 map was made. After getting bored hunting the same old spot I remembered a stone pile at the site I had skimmed over last year and found a few iron buckles and had decided it was a shed or something. I put my sniper coil on and hit the rectangular stone pile again. All the first hits were iron stove parts and I thought maybe this was a home after all. My next hit was big and I figured just another stove piece but the target id was locked on copper so I had to dig and boom happy dance! War of 1812 artillery plate!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 4,753
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 4,720
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 4,637
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 4,721
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 4,684
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 4,632
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 4,635
  • plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4,670
Upvote 8
OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WAR OF 1812 ARTILLERY PLATE! >>UPDATE PHOTO AFTER CLEANING<<

wilkere said:
Awesome find Buddy! Like the Bike too!
Thanks that bike gets me to them never been hunted spots. This location is not for the timid I have dumped her a few times trying to get back out to the road! How anyone ever farmed that boulder field is beyond me.

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005

thats a sweet one banner for sure :icon_thumleft:

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

What is an artillery plate? This one is so similar to the copper plate I found in Missouri on an old CW site, with a different engraving. Just wondering. The one I found was of a Native American (Indian) kneeling on the ground with a drum in front of him lying on the ground (kind of a conical shape), with an implement in his right hand to strike the (broad) end of the drum. I'll try and find a picture. My plate is approx 2.5" x 4" tall, with holes mid-centered in the top and bottom for attachment to something.

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Noodle said:
What is an artillery plate? This one is so similar to the copper plate I found in Missouri on an old CW site, with a different engraving. Just wondering. The one I found was of a Native American (Indian) kneeling on the ground with a drum in front of him lying on the ground (kind of a conical shape), with an implement in his right hand to strike the (broad) end of the drum. I'll try and find a picture. My plate is approx 2.5" x 4" tall, with holes mid-centered in the top and bottom for attachment to something.
My plate is a belt plate like a belt buckle there are box plates etc. that were mounted on ammo boxes and breast plates went on the front of a horses rigging I think. Your plate sounds very cool post some photos in the what is it forum I would love to see what it is!

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o Man...Nice Score. Congrats on a find of a lifetime. HH :notworthy:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find! Looks like it cleaned up nicely. Congrats. :thumbsup:

rock333

Apr 10, 2010

Hey...this is a wonderful website buddy and an informative post!!! i am new here and i found this site very interesting and informative ,, you are a professional person i think i have a great interest in such things...thank you for the post buddy and keep on posting nice stuff like this :)
i am ccie student.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

mickk

Jul 23, 2006

Looks like you didnt overclean it, I was worried for a while.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a find well worthy of the BANNER

I would be proud to have that plate in my collection. Pre CW plates are few in number because the army was so small.

Consider yourself "bumped"

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting ready to vote until I saw the date of post. amazing find! Bet that is one you will never forget.

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a find well worthy of the BANNER

I would be proud to have that plate in my collection. Pre CW plates are few in number because the army was so small.

Consider yourself "bumped"

Thanks it is still the centerpiece of my collection believe me. I had a big grin on my face the entire ride home. A lot of other killer relics have come from that spot including an 1831 Dewey powder flask front somewhere around 4,000 ever made. Also the same site that most of my flying eagle cents and complete set of general service Civil War buttons came from. Sadly the spot is under new ownership and is posted no trespassing now. At least I had the chance to pound it for years but I know there's lots of stuff still there. Just realized my first two Seated Dimes and my 2-cent piece also came from there. What a shame considering it's going to be a strip mine soon. Heartbreaking

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst part is I have written permission to deer hunt there from the new owners. But they don't allow any kind of digging.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is nice!!!! Maybe my War of 1812 site is hiding one 8-). Ok maybe not but sma guy can dream. Lots of buttons anyway. I'd freak if I found an early plate

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is nice!!!! Maybe my War of 1812 site is hiding one 8-). Ok maybe not but sma guy can dream. Lots of buttons anyway. I'd freak if I found an early plate

I just looked it up....It is actually a militia waist belt plate ca. 1818-1835 (see plate 160 of American Military Belt Plates by O'Donnell and Campbell)

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked it up....It is actually a militia waist belt plate ca. 1818-1835 (see plate 160 of American Military Belt Plates by O'Donnell and Campbell)

Great info Steve....thanks bud

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you look closely at that designs mine is the 1810 version the ones made after that had a different look different especially noticeable in the feathers on the neck of the eagle. At least that's what I was told back then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say 1830 does fit in with the flask that I found but that was military issue not militia. I am definitely interested in learning more about my plate. I was told that there was one version made only in 1810 if anyone knows anything about that please post up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread